New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-11-16 19:07:07

tahanson43206

Three Scientific Standards Redefined

Because some members of this forum occasionally cite scientific constants in discussion, here is an update which may be of interest:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/16/kil … redefined/

(th)

#2 2018-11-16 21:52:25

Void

Re: Three Scientific Standards Redefined

Nice.  Thank goodness I don't have to care much anymore, retired smile

Done.

#3 2018-11-16 23:05:32

JoshNH4H
Website

I love this, especially the redefinition of the ampere.  I think it's getting less attention because the current definition of the ampere is so confusing, but the new definition is way better.

They say "as excited as metrologists can be" and I'm sure excited.

I actually just learned the metric system's motto: "For all times and for all people".  What a great sentence.

-Josh

#4 2018-11-17 06:43:34

Terraformer
Website

I hope they also remember to redefine the metre as a multiple of the planck length, as well, and the second as a multiple of planck time.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#5 2018-11-19 14:52:43

JoshNH4H
Website

Isn't it the case that we can't actually measure either of those and that they're calculated from things we can measure or calculate? Makes it kind of hard to use them as standards of measurement

-Josh

#6 2018-11-19 16:44:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Planck Constant characteristic of the mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

Planck’s constant, fundamental physical constant characteristic of the mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles and waves on the atomic scale, including the particle aspect of light. The German physicist Max Planck introduced the constant in 1900. The Planck constant (Planck's constant) links the amount of energy a photon carries with the frequency of its electromagnetic wave.

Planck's constant, symbolized h, relates the energy in one quantum of electromagnetic radiation to the frequency of that radiation.. In the International System of units (), the constant is equal to approximately 6.626176 x 10-34 joule-seconds.In the centimeter-gram-second or small-unit metric system, it is equal to approximately 6.626176 x 10-27 erg-seconds.

E is the energy of the photons and v and λ the frequency and wavelength of the wave; c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

350px-Black_body.svg.png

Ya I do agree JoshNH4H its not a constant as we know that time is what many things are measured to and that is changed by gravity...

Board footer