New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2021-10-04 18:10:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Chat

Ya was told that by my other family members when I got home...with all of the crying I would have thought Twitter was also not functioning....

#202 2021-10-05 17:30:48

kbd512
Administrator

The suspense is killing me.  What happened to Faceplant and the Tweeter?

#203 2021-10-05 18:41:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Facebook news indicated with apologies that it had networking problems...

Aka they probably got hacked....

#204 2021-10-22 13:41:14

RobertDyck
Website

I got used to lack of work, one day of work per week or less. Now it's busy. Worked 3 or the 4 days of Convention. Caught a portion of each day, but the only full day was Saturday, the day I presented. Slept in this morning, expecting no work. Was awakened by a phone call from dispatch. He sent an email for work, and had a second job waiting. Run! Now in transit to second site. Both inside the city but central and east end. First they would have like me to start an hour and a half earlier, but again slept in. Then a simple task turned difficult, had to remove the new equipment, put old printer back. New one will be returned, it didn't work. Configured wrong and I shouldn't have to configure. And I couldn't access setup, it's locked down. New model printer on new computer system. I'm supposed to be onsite technician aka level one. I'm getting very disappointed with level 3 support.

Second site will be hours after they hoped. I hope this one is simple. Old system and simple monitor replacement. Should be easy. I did this before at this site. I thought I told them to get a UPS with surge suppressor. For this to happen again it means they didn't.

#205 2021-10-22 18:10:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not surprised with the first since the drives need to be compatible with the OS and not all companies are upgrading them since we will soon be onto windows 11 and done with it before we know it. Partly due to trying to make use of the 64 bits that the computers have....

Good luck...

#206 2021-10-28 09:32:56

RobertDyck
Website

Just got one of those scam phone calls. They used to claim they were from the "Windows technical department". This one was obviously someone who didn't speak English well, reading a script, and claimed to be from Intel. I just hung up.

#207 2021-10-28 17:57:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

How about a scam email for a product you know that you did not order...since you do not use the software currently....

#208 2021-11-27 15:38:35

RobertDyck
Website

Last night had freezing rain. Roads and sidewalks are very slippery. Temperature is +1°C but high humidity. Breeze is chilly.

#209 2021-11-27 15:45:16

RobertDyck
Website

Thursday flew back to Little Grand Rapids for work. Computer had fries motherboard. Swapped hard drives to new computer. However, had difficulty finding new computer to install. Store manager had left a week earlier, staff operating without a manager. One clerk was ask to fill in until they got a new manager but he didn't want the responsibility. Turned out the computer was moved to a small stock room, and staff had fill the room with boxes floor to ceiling all the way to the door. After we dug out the boxes, discovered shelves on both walls. Of course the computer was top shelf in the furthest back corner of the room. A visiting manager had ordered them to unpack the room and told me to leave for the Lodge, come back in the morning. But staff hadn't done anything. Had to dig Friday morning. But found it, finished an hour and a half before my flight home.

Board footer