New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-09-19 07:36:31

RobertDyck
Website

Chat

I thought we had a thread "apropos of nothing". No matter.

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again

Work is sending me to service computer equipment for post offices. They're sending me to northern communities, reservations, many of which are only accessible by air. No all-season road. Earlier this summer I flew on Fairchild Metroliner II and Dash 8-300 aircraft. This airline is the only one that has their own small terminal building at the Winnipeg airport. Yesterday I flew out of a small airport outside the city, 22km from my home. On a Cessna C208 Caravan. That's not a twin turboprop, it's a single prop piston engine. Today the company booked me on a flight via a 3rd airline, I phoned yesterday and said it flies out of the main terminal building. But I got there, check-in closed. I phoned and they said it's out of that little building. Ack! Perimeter Aviation bought Bearskin Airlines. Bearskin has flights out of the main terminal but mine isn't. Scramble before check-in deadline! I took a city bus to the airport. My transit app said it would take 1/2 hour to get there! Turned out a couple busses took me right there quickly. Now I'll find out what kind of aircraft.

:Edit: And this one is a Fairchild Metroliner III.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-09-19 08:16:58)

#2 2018-09-19 08:52:00

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Chat

Rob,

I'd be interested in a picture of a piston powered C208.  All the ones I've ever seen were Honeywell (Garrett) TPE-331 or Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A gas turbine powered.  If it's actually piston powered, does it have some kind of radial on it?  Apart from something like a Wasp, I'd think it'd be severely underpowered with the boxer-style certificated piston engines (Lycoming IO-720), and a R-1340 would weigh at least double what those gas turbines weigh.

#3 2018-09-19 09:18:02

RobertDyck
Website

Oh, am I wrong? It has exhaust pipes on the sides of the cowl. Pilot said flight out was a Caravan, return was a Grand Caravan. Photo from Northway Aviation website.
Bequia%202016%20421.jpg

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-09-21 06:09:48)

#4 2018-09-19 09:26:21

RobertDyck
Website

After rushing for a 9:00am Central Time flight, I'm still waiting at the gate, 10:24am and counting...

Again, Bearskin Airlines website says they only operate Metro III.

#5 2018-09-19 11:56:47

kbd512
Administrator

Rob,

On the PT6A-powered Caravans and Grand Caravans the exhaust is on the co-pilot's side underneath the cowling.  Your picture is a rear quarter shot from the pilot's or PIC's (Pilot In Command) side of the airframe, so you wouldn't see it from that angle.  If you hear what sounds like a high-pitched whine while the engine is in operation, then it's definitely gas turbine powered.  I've just never seen or heard of a Caravan or Grand Caravan that was powered by anything except a gas turbine engine.  That doesn't mean there's not a STC out there for that type of mod.  I'm not a Caravan expert.  I only fly smaller Cessna aircraft like the Skyhawk, which is piston-powered, but there are also Caravans that fly out of the airports I go to.  The C206/207/210 were all piston powered (mostly Continental IO-520's and Lycoming IO-540's), although I've seen gas turbine conversions for the 210's since at least one of those originated here in Texas.

You typically don't see gas turbines used in applications requiring less than 500hp because the fuel economy and engine cost propositions are unfavorable under that limit.  The earliest Caravans came from the factory with 600hp PT6A's.  There are aftermarket STC's for Grand Caravans for up to a 1,000hp TPE-331, but most probably use factory 675shp PT6A-114A's.

#6 2018-09-19 13:03:35

Void

Very happy about your very good news Robert!

Done.

#7 2018-09-19 14:08:05

Void

smile

Done.

#8 2018-09-19 17:26:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ditto RobertDyck glad to see that you have work. Will there be any issues flying in the winter months....

#9 2018-09-19 18:35:05

RobertDyck
Website

Ok, so it's a gas turbine. I knew people on this forum would appreciate aircraft.

#10 2018-09-19 18:45:55

RobertDyck
Website

Flew all the way out. Postal employee has already installed the new monitor, just hadn't bothered to ship the old one back so no one knew he did it. The signature capture device was supposed to double as debit/credit card payment processing, but was configured for a different site in a different province so payments weren't accepted. They sent a new one I was supposed to install but postal employee didn't know what it was so sent it back before I got there. Total bust. Well, configured touch screen device driver to not beep. And they had installed equipment in a very clumsy way with poor cable management. Rearranged equipment and made cables neat. Found the counter floor shelf and installed it. So it's a lot more neat, more counter space for customer packages and below counter shelf space. So something to justify the trip. Postal manager was happy. Support said they would resend the signature capture device and send me out again to install it.

SNAFU = situation normal, all fucked up

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-09-21 06:05:43)

#11 2018-10-03 20:56:27

RobertDyck
Website

Flew back to Red Sucker Lake today. Flight out was on a Merlin aircraft. Twin turboprop, pressurized, but 6 passenger seats. Leather seats, front 4 seats facing eachother, bulkhead had a woodgrain print, bar sink with leather cushion beside for someone to sit when not taking off / landing. Felt like a corporate plane. Cool!
Fairchild_Swearingen_Merlin.jpg

#12 2018-10-04 02:29:06

kbd512
Administrator

That's a nice ride you have there, Robert.  I absolutely love the lines of that bird.  How did she treat you?

#13 2018-10-04 13:22:47

RobertDyck
Website

Felt awkward facing backward. Back bulkhead was metal, polished to be a mirror. Pressurized. Turbulence result in a rough ride at times. But overall sweet. Brought my nylon toolbag this time instead of backpack with laptop w/ extended battery. Just used smartphone. 11 pound bag instead of 22 pound backpack. They didn't blink at me carrying it as a carry-on bag. Remote airports don't have security but Winnipeg terminal for this airline has one gate with security with one metal detector arch. Security did unzip my bag and take a peek. Don't expect a major airline to let you carry on tools.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-10-04 21:41:28)

#14 2018-10-04 20:50:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have only been on one airplane flight onboard a 727 I think, some 30 plus years ago for the company that is no more....

Glad to see that things are looking up....

#15 2018-10-06 09:19:09

kbd512
Administrator

Robert,

That's good to hear.  The ride in the lower flight levels can still be rough at times, though generally smoother than down low.  Many of those turboprops can't cruise high enough to get above all the weather due to airframe or engine limitations.  I see you're learning to travel light.  I carried a roll-aboard and large computer bag when I started consulting, but quickly switched to a small lightweight backpack and duffle bag that easily stow into the overhead bins or under the seat.  It makes boarding faster.  Boarding would be faster still if the airlines required baggage on wheels to go into the cargo hold where it belongs.

#16 2018-10-06 17:47:58

RobertDyck
Website

Years ago no bought a new bag called a Weekender. It's the largest bag that fits under an economy claß seat. Compartment for papers, holds clothing, shoes, etc. But one stewardess claimed it had to be checked. Held departure while they stowed it in the luggage hold. When preparing for takeoff I just glared at her. She asked if something's wrong. I explained it's the largest carry-on, rhat I got it so I don't have to deal with the luggage carrosel. And my book to read on the flight was in there. She held BNup the flight further to recover my bag and return it to me.

BTW: no wheels.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-10-06 17:49:19)

#17 2018-10-15 07:19:22

RobertDyck
Website

On the road again...

Checked in for 8:30am flight to South Indian Lake. Layover at Thompson, MB. I get to fly on the Metro again. We'll see what the second one is. And my boss said no one else wants to do these fly-in jobs.

This Wikipedia image even has the airline's logo.
1920px-Perimeter_Metroliner_II.jpg

::Edit:: Connecting flight is another Metro.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2018-10-15 10:14:46)

#18 2018-10-15 17:28:44

RobertDyck
Website

Another SNAFU. While laidover we're told destination airport hasn't cleared the runway in 4 days. Flight cancelled. I told them I have to be back in Winnipeg tomorrow because I have another assignment for Wednesday. So send me back. The airline guy said he would see if he could get me on a flight with the only other airline that flies from this little city. He didn't get back to me. I call my company, told them what's going on. They made some calls too. They were told everything was set for me to return. But after waiting 2 1/2 hours, I cornered the airline guy to ask what's going on. He claimed there's no room in the flight back. I walked over to the counter of the other airline, right beside theirs. They did have room, but boarding was closed, too late to get on  WTF! So now I'm in a hotel on Thompson. Will fly back home tomorrow on the original airline. Company is rescheduling a flight next week with a different airline.

#19 2018-10-15 20:29:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

That sucks, had seen your first post while at work while you were heading out and had been hoping for more success for you. Hopefully the boss will get the real message and not what he heard which was lip service from the airline company.

#20 2018-10-16 07:29:26

RobertDyck
Website

I'm not in trouble. He and his travel coordinator insist the airline refund the ticket, and provide transport for me back home at their expense, and pay for the hotel and taxi.

#21 2018-10-16 09:53:06

RobertDyck
Website

Got to the airport. Airline wanted me to pay for the return ticket. Company got me a ticket, somehow. What a mess.

#22 2018-10-16 12:18:08

kbd512
Administrator

Robert,

You made it.  That's what counts most.

Being a consultant is fun, isn't it?

smile

#23 2018-10-16 13:44:34

GW Johnson
Website

Long ago,  I heard an operational definition of an "outside consultant" as someone from 50+ miles away with a briefcase.  Most of those I actually met,  fitting that description,  would more properly be described as "outside insultants".  Had little use for them, myself.  Sure were popular with otherwise-ignorant management types,  though. 

Don't worry Robert,  I know you ain't one of those. 

I ended up being the "in-house insultant" for a variety of things until corporate politics and government ineptitude closed the defense plant.  No extra pay for doing it,  just too much extra work to cope with.  Typical.

While trying to develop a second career after plant closure,  I served as a real consultant to two former-employer outfits that let me go too quickly.  One was a mechanical contractor in fire protection engineering,  who had no one the fire marshal trusted but me,  the other was Baylor U for alternate aviation fuel testing (who did not get the STC's until they actually carried out the program I worked out with FAA).  Those jobs actually paid some money.  I also did one commercial building foundation inspection for hire.  Not very popular when I had to give bad news,  but it was the truth.

After that I settled on teaching,  and selling farm implements as a small family business.  I did that for many years (until the seriously-misbehaving administrator,  that I blew the whistle on,  fired me),  and I still do the farm implements.  Turned prickly pear eradication into nothing but driving around on a tractor drinking beer.  That notion still sells cactus-killing implements. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#24 2018-10-16 16:49:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Good to hear.
Maybe the business boss would think about flight school, a small plane for the corporations if it plans to grow. That would sure fix that issue...

#25 2018-10-17 06:15:35

elderflower

A consultant is one who writes a report that tells the boss what he wants to hear and then disappears with a large sum of money, never to be seen again, unless the boss was right in the first place. If the boss was right the scenario will be repeated until he/she is wrong, when the consultant will be blamed. At this point some of the enterprises go bust.

Board footer