New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2021-05-10 20:17:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Chat

Yes that once upon a time were american and now are not....that list is growing every day....

#177 2021-05-11 21:26:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

So why...American Companies That Are No Longer American In fact, many quintessentially American brands are no longer American-owned at all.

https://www.lovemoney.com/galleries/690 … an-anymore

#178 2021-06-04 14:58:28

RobertDyck
Website

+36°C (96.8°F) bright sunny, 22% humidity. Yesterday was +32°C (89.6°F) with 30% humidity.

I just started a job collecting the census, so work outdoors. But my house doesn't have air conditioning anyway.

#179 2021-06-04 18:08:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Like you no AC just windows with screens down and its still 84F tonight inside.

#180 2021-06-10 08:22:35

RobertDyck
Website

Setback. My used video card didn't work that well. When using it with a computer game, video would split so left side appeared on the right of the screen. Then become solid blue. Booting into safe mode was required to reset the video card before it would work at anything higher than basic resolution. This was AMD Radeon HD 6870, considered minimum for Unreal Engine 4. Went back to my old video card: AMD Radeon 4350. But now device driver won't load. It's using a Microsoft basic device driver, that doesn't have any hardware acceleration and doesn't support higher video resolution or dual monitors.

#181 2021-06-10 09:47:00

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ...

Sorry to hear of the setback ...

I was curious about the 6870 so Google found this:

AMD Radeon HD 6870 Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database
www.techpowerup.com › gpu-specs › radeon-hd-6870
The Radeon HD 6870 was a performance-segment graphics card by AMD, launched on October 21st, 2010. Built on the 40 nm process, and based on the Barts ...  Release Date: Oct 21st, 2010 Launch Price: 239 USD TDP: 151 W GPU Name: Barts

I had to upgrade my video card to use Fusion 360.   I'd imagine being able to run Fusion 360 would be beneficial for the Large Ship project.

Having said that, I'd be interested to know what luck you have with the 6870 if you boot from Linux.

Edit: You can boot from Linux using a boot DVD, so you don't have to actually install it.

The results might be similar, or Linux may be able to work with an older card like that one.

If you have not yet investigated removable hard drive enclosures, you might find them convenient.

I've had to upgrade recently, because the supplier of the RMV equipment I prefer has discontinued the line.  There are a few of the removable components available on eBay, but the socket component has not been available for a couple of years.

The new style of RMV equipment is designed for flash drives, which I've moved to as well, so at least there is ** that ** compatibility.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-06-10 09:48:11)

#182 2021-06-10 11:27:09

RobertDyck
Website

Any recommendation? I don't want to spend thousands on a new computer. My computer has one PCI slot, one PCIe x16, and two PCIe x1 slots. However, the Radeon HD 6870 card was double width and so long it interfered with ducting for the CPU cooling fan. I had to remove ducting, use duct tape to attach the fan. Ideal is either a single width card, or shorter. My current card is both single-width and short, so the CPU duct is back on.

Unreal Engine 4 requires DirectX 11 (or 12). So any video card must support that. Unreal Engine 4 requires "NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher". Could I use GeForce GT 1030 2GB with passive cooling? Would be nice to get a video card with dual DisplayPort, but they tend to be expensive and large.

#183 2021-06-10 12:54:39

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #182

The board I installed to run Fusion 360 is GeForce GT 1030

It was marked at $85 at the local store.  This was the least expensive board that would meet the requirements for Fusion 360.

There've been software updates along the way.  The board runs fine with Windows 7, Windows 10, and several flavors of Ubuntu 64 bits.

Comments on the box include:

Low profile design saves more spaces to fit slim or smaller system. Equipped with a DVD-D and a HDMI port, the card supports up to 4K high resolution.

I'm only using the HDMI port.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-06-10 12:55:11)

#184 2021-07-11 13:55:23

RobertDyck
Website

I think my little household thermometer isn't accurate. Bought at a dollar store. It reads 28°C (82°F) but feels a lot hotter. The weather website says it's 34°C (93°F), which is more believable.

#185 2021-07-18 16:32:05

RobertDyck
Website

33°C (91.4°F) with 50% humidity. No air conditioning. Is this hot or am I a woose?

#186 2021-07-18 17:27:55

louis

32 in the London area this afternoon. Not sure what the humidity was but I was happy enough with it! lol I like riding the bike in that sort of weather, as I did today, because your muscles are very relaxed, you can wear sandals and shorts. It all feels so effortless to me. What I can't do now but could do in my youth is just lie in the sun in this sort of temperature.

I think we had a bit of a breeze - nothing strong but that makes all the difference.

What's the highest you've experience in Winnipeg?

Before we go all "global warming", let's remember that parts of Australia have had their coldest weather in over 100 years:

http://www.markvoganweather.com/2021/06 … -54-years/

I can also vouch for UK weather being generally below average for most of this year.

RobertDyck wrote:

33°C (91.4°F) with 50% humidity. No air conditioning. Is this hot or am I a woose?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#187 2021-07-18 17:43:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

We got about 4 " of rain during the night which by morning was near over flowing the drainage ditch accross the road which would have flowed right into my home that is down hill from the road surface.

There is going to be more rain but at least a pause did happen to allow for it to drain off without any damage....

#188 2021-07-18 19:02:02

RobertDyck
Website

It's now 7:48pm in Winnipeg, "cooled" to 32°C. Wind 24km/h so there are gusts of a mild breeze. Pale blue sky, not dark blue but no clouds. Not the harshest sunlight, slightly diffuse.

The hottest I experienced in my life in Winnipeg is +38°C (+100°F): June 17, 1995. Weather statistics claim it did get to +40°C, but weather records going back to 1873 claim the only times it was +39°C (+102°F) were 01-Aug-1989, 06-Aug-1988, 02-Sep-1983, 24-Aug-1986. That last one was actually +103°F due to fractional degree.
::Edit:: I was in Toronto from July 1987 through July 1990. So I was in Winnipeg for 1983 & 1986. So I guess the hottest I experienced was +39°C.

Temperature got down to -40°C one day in January 2019, and one night in January 2005. It did get down to -45°C (-49°F) in 1966, but temperature swing from -40°C to +39°C is enough.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2021-07-18 19:07:10)

#189 2021-09-08 06:19:22

RobertDyck
Website

Off to another fly-in job. Cross Lake, Manitoba this time. On a Dash 8 aircraft.

#190 2021-09-08 17:22:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Good luck as it appears that its been a while since last traveling....

#191 2021-09-20 13:07:43

RobertDyck
Website

Election Day today. Canada has a parliamentary system so elections are not on a fixed schedule. Maximum time from one election to the next is 5 years under the Constitution. The previous government passed a "fixed election dates" law that claimed to set 4 year terms, but even the Prime Minister who passed that law violated that. Parliament can pass a non-confidence vote at any time. That forces an election immediately. And the Prime Minister can go to the Governor General to ask for an early election. Canada has more than 2 political parties. before this election, 5 parties had at least one MP elected to the House. A new party is doing well, founded by a candidate for one of the two main parties. He lost re-election after starting his own party, but has relatively strong support. So counting that new party, there are 6. Although only 2 parties have ever formed the federal government of Canada, it's possible that no single party has 50% of the MPs. When that happens, it's called a minority government. The governing party has to get at least one other party to vote for their bills. Many people think this is a good thing because all of Parliament has to work together. But one effect is government never lasts the full term before another election, there's always an election called early. In this case, it's only 23 months since the last election. A lot of people feel we should not have an election during pandemic. The Prime Minister was hoping he would get a majority, so then he doesn't have to work with other parties. Polls indicate that's not going to happen. Most likely he'll get another minority, with few MPs from his party, so an even weaker minority. Will that happen, or will the other party win? We'll see this evening.

Will the Green Party increase their seat count from 2, or drop to 1, or lose all seats? Will the 6th party win their first seat?

#192 2021-09-21 05:29:20

RobertDyck
Website

After the previous election, Liberals had 157 MPs elected to the House of Commons. Conservatives had 121. After this election, Liberals have 158, Conservatives 119. This raises the question, why did we have this election? They could have waited the full 4 years. This election cost $610 million of taxpayer money, and nothing changed. This is the first year Canada has allowed mail-in ballots, and due to COVID many people used them. Mail-in ballots are still being counted. Number of MPs may end up exactly what it was before the election. So what was the point?

Ps. Green party lost 1 seat, and gained 1, so total seats remain 2. The 6th party got higher proportion of the vote than the Green party, a little more than twice, but didn't get anyone elected.

::Edit:: One Liberal candidate had accusations from another party. The Liberal leader once again fell for it, and revoked that candidate's nomination. That candidate is leading, although mail-in ballots are still being counted, it looks like he won. His nomination was revoked too late to change ballots, so he was elected as a Liberal, but he will sit as an independent. That reduces Liberal MPs to 157. That's exactly how many they had before the election.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2021-09-21 12:03:22)

#193 2021-09-26 12:56:13

RobertDyck
Website

On the road again. Dash 8 aircraft from Winnipeg to Shamattawa. 2 hour 20 flight. Been there before. No hotel, they assigned a room in a house for store employees.

#194 2021-09-26 14:20:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Willy Nelson is still a singing on the road again....Enjoy the flight and safe journey.

#195 2021-09-27 17:49:40

RobertDyck
Website

Talking to locals was distressing. My job has taken me to a number of indigenous reservations in northern Manitoba and a couple in northwest Ontario. Poverty is an issue, but Shamattawa must be the worst. Part of me thinks we should be able to apply pioneering techniques for Mars to these communities. However, at least this one needs a social worker.

#196 2021-10-02 13:51:17

GW Johnson
Website

I've seen the same sort of thing down here,  where the reservations are,  since I was a young boy.  Beneficial change does not happen fast,  that is all I have to offer.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#197 2021-10-02 16:20:42

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson ...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/bad- … ket-newtab

Pocket worthyStories to fuel your mind
Bad Thinkers

Why do some people believe conspiracy theories? It’s not just who or what they know. It’s a matter of intellectual character.
Aeon

Quassim Cassam

This article appears (to me at least) to explain why we see strange posts in the NewMars forum.

(th)

#198 2021-10-02 17:42:19

GW Johnson
Website

I actually think that 9-11 was the confluence of three plots.  That is not the minimum hypothesis demanded by Occam's Razor,  but it explains more than any of the conspiracy theories,  or the official government report. 

I think there was an insurance plot to demolish the Twin Towers and blame it on a terrorist attack,  not knowing a terrorist attack was actually planned.  That is because the cost to demolish the Twin Towers was very high stick-by-stick,  while no permit could be obtained for explosive demolition due to the obvious risks. 

The Towers were not profitable to begin with,  something widely reported until 9-11 occurred.  The collateral-damage risks of sudden demolition were simply too high for local authorities to accept.  So demolition explosives were emplaced by the plotters (something widely reported,  but not by the mainstream media),  but these explosives were NOT set off before the 9-11 attack actually occurred!

There was also a plot on the part of Al Qaeda to try to bring down the towers by the impact of airliners at over 400 mph.  This is supported by their failed attempt some years before with a truck bomb in the basement. Bringing down these towers would normally be a "long shot",  because those buildings were designed to withstand the impact of a B-707 or a DC-8 at 500 mph.  B-757’s are just not that much bigger.

There was also a plot within some agencies of the government itself to allow the terrorists to hit the Towers,  in order to unify Americans behind a Middle East war (for oil),  much the same way Pearl Harbor did unify Americans against the Japanese.  This was more about oil magnate Dick Cheney and his "neocon" associates,  than it was about G. W. Bush himself. 

These three plots accidentally came together on Sept 11,  2001,  as the suspect government agencies stood aside and allowed the terrorists to fly their hijacked airliners into their targets.  That is confirmed by the fact that no regular military fighters were available,  to counteract the hijackings,  only air national guard flights,  who in turn did not expect to survive their encounters.  All of that is well-documented. 

The planes that hit the Twin Towers did not bring about immediate collapse.  Instead,  the fires from those impacts burned for significant intervals,  until they reached the already-emplaced demolition explosives from the insurance fraud plot!  THAT is what cut the building cores and completely brought down both towers the way we all saw!  Otherwise,  most of the cores should have remained standing,  after the outer shells and floors collapsed.  We did NOT see that.  QED. 

I know a lot less about the Pentagon attack.  All I know is that the wings of that airliner should have left "slash marks" on the building facade,  and they did not!  And the engines,  more than the far-less-dense fuselage,  should have left entry wounds into the building,  and they did not! 

I must conclude that whatever hit the Pentagon was not an airliner!  That much is rather certain.   Which leaves "wide open" what happened to that airliner,  its passengers,  and its crew.  I have no answers,  but I DO NOT LIKE where these facts tend to lead me. 

The airliner that crashed into the field in Pennsylvania is more undetermined still.  At that time,  there were NO cell phone connections available from airliners to persons on the ground,  despite the "official" claims that cell phone contacts revealed a counter-plot by passengers to retake the aircraft.  There was,  however,  the capability of making phone calls to people on the ground,  using phones especially made available on the airplane.  Those have since been superseded and eliminated.

The fact that these calls to persons on the ground are still referred to as "cell phone calls",  casts more-than-considerable doubt on the "official story".  Yet,  if I had been on board,  I would have attacked the terrorists myself with my little pocket knife.  The passenger uprising story itself might well be true.  Just the details of how this was communicated to folks on the ground are doubtful at best.  Which should tell you gobs about how government can lie to its people.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#199 2021-10-04 14:01:04

RobertDyck
Website

Gary, you've listened to too much conspiracy. You're an engineer, you know what happens when steel gets hot. It doesn't have to melt to lose strength. Analysis shows that if the planes hit the top 1/3 of the building or the bottom 1/3, they wouldn't have collapsed. That's why they hit where they did. Airplane fuel burns very hot, you know exactly how hot. Now imaging a Boeing 767 that just took off, turning around and crashing into a building, still full of fuel. that fuel burned inside the building, contained by the concrete floor and ceiling. The steel support members were supposed to be covered in fire protection, but when the building was constructed the builder only installed a single layer of drywall as fire protection. Drywall from Georgia Pacific is covered in fibreglass felt, not paper, and has fibres of fibreglass mixed with the gypsum. Furthermore, such drywall designated as "fire wall" is 5/8" thick instead of 1/4". That allows the drywall to withstand a raging house fire for up to 60 minutes before the drywall collapses. But I haven't read any reports that the drywall installed was that special type of drywall, I think it was just normal drywall. But the special "firewall" will only withstand a house fire for 60 minutes, not burning jet fuel. And after 60 minutes even that will collapse. Burning jet fuel will soften steel. Not melt it, but reduce strength sufficiently that it cannot support the weight of all the building stories above it. Once the collapse started, the building "pancaked". That means the force of the upper floors falling on each successive floor was too much, the floors collapsed from top-down starting with the floors weakened by fire.

That said, the third building was different. The third build was smaller, and damaged by debris from the towers. However, the third building remained standing. There is strong evidence of the third building being destroyed by controlled demolition. Yes, that was an insurance scam. The building owner didn't want to pay for repairs so made the building look like it was also destroyed by the terrorist attack.

As for the Pentagon, there's security camera footage of the plane hitting. One frame shows a white blur about the size of an airline fuselage. Click image for YouTube video from AP archive (Associated Press).
d61b3d084b4cfb642542e46c6d341aa6_THUMBNAIL_0.jpg

If you want a conspiracy theory, I did talk to some members of the US military. They said a team was stationed on the roof the Pentagon with surface-to-air missiles to defend the building. A ceremony was held immediately afterwards in which those posted on the Pentagon were given medals. This means actions of those individuals were appropriate. There is another video which shows the airliner approaching the pentagon but the last seconds before it hits have not been made available to the public. This means those soldiers operating the defence system held off until the very last second, then did fire the missile or whatever defence system. The idea of an American missile fire upon an American commercial airliner with American passengers onboard... do you understand why they don't want that released? Do you also understand why they don't want to reveal details of the defence system installed at the Pentagon? That defence system has most probably been upgraded since 9/11. Probably several times. The reason there were no marks from wing or tail fin impacting the Pentagon is the aircraft broke up due to the missile strike just before it hit.

#200 2021-10-04 14:06:27

RobertDyck
Website

We have a new one. Facebook is down. Just before 11:00am today Central Time, that's 4 hours ago. Instagram and WhatsApp went down at the same time. They're owned by Facebook. The outage is world-wide. Question: is this just some hacker, or is this a professional electronic warfare attack by a major nation?

Board footer