New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-25 13:38:13

Palomar

Re: Bring On The Night

*Halloween's coming up quickly, folks.  Anyone here (besides yours truly) have an unexplainable happenstance to share, which might provoke a chilling sensation down our spines?

In October 1994 I visited -- while vacationing in my Iowa hometown-- the graves of elderly neighbors (who had been like grandparents to me as a kid) at Evergreen Cemetery.  This cemetery, like many in northern Iowa, has strict rules:  No fresh flowers on the graves; plastic and synthetic flowers only, and then for just 6 months of the year.  The cemetery is surrounded by non-blooming green hedges, and lies on the outskirts of town.  There are no flowering bushes or flower gardens in bloom in Iowa in October.  When I drove into the cemetery, and all the time while in it, visiting graves and paying my respects, I didn't smell even the faintest trace of a flower (or of pine needles, for that matter). 

I had just paid my tender respects to Neva; she and her husband, Eugene, had been very kindly folk to me as a kid; patient and loving.  Neva enjoyed baking cookies and giving them to kids on the block.  She also always dressed up for Halloween while passing out trick or treat candy to the kids.  I remembered her, thanked her, then got into my car.

As I bent down to twist the ignition switch, a sudden (and I mean SUDDEN) powerful aroma of fresh-cut roses flooded my car.  It wasn't sickly or overpowering.  It was as though someone had just thrust 3 dozen gorgeous roses under my nose.  I was stunned.  Where was that delicious scent coming from?  I had absolutely no air fresheners in my car, no bottles of perfume, etc. -- no artificial scent device.  I sat there until the rose scent vanished as nearly as quickly as it came.  The air smelled the same as it had before (dull and scentless).

I then recalled that the scent of flowers allegedly often accompanies the presence of a female ghost (okay, I'm NOT admitting I believe in ghosts...I'm agnostic, and am simply relating what happened that day).  I felt I should say "thank you" (just to be "on the safe side"), so I did.  And immediately, as if a switch had been tossed, the scent of dozens of roses flooded my car again -- sweet, lovely.  It lingered at that level for maybe 5 seconds, and then disappeared as quickly as it had occurred.

I didn't know what to think, and drove calmly home...with no floral scents anywhere to be smelled along the route back to my mother's house.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-10-25 15:18:29

George H

Re: Bring On The Night

haha, that's great, you wrote your sig back-wards...hehe

Well, I was 6 when my Grandpa Tom died. The night of his funereal I could hear organ music from outside the window. Mother & dad didn't beleive me, cuz I could hear it, not them. Later, I saw Grandpa, at the foot of my bed, but I didn't get scarred. Then he left, that was it

Here'r some roses for you Cindy

@-}---
@-}----
@-}-}-------

@--}----

Board footer