New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-05-14 11:44:19

flashgordon

Re: Fossil fuel's running out - world leaders ignoring it and space

http://www.evworld.com/databases/showne … s060601-12

This is just one article; anyone can find many more.

I see marssociety people talked to congressmembers; was any of this mentioned?

#2 2003-05-14 12:16:12

nirgal
Banned

I don't think we'll run out of oil any time soon and when the time comes we'll already have phased out fossil fuels, there are countless alternatives.

#3 2003-05-27 10:15:43

colonist

To say that the end of fossil fuels is the end of civilisation and/or oportunity is to take the narrow world view that those who proffit from the fuels want us to take.

The alternatives are numerous and include many renewable sources (such as alcahol, geothermal, and solar) and unrenewable sources (burn-wave reactors, conventional reactors, etc).
Tho say that those in congress are doing nothing is only wishfull thinking. They are in fact HINDERING the development of renewable energy sources by their tax and regulation policies. In order for a rural farmer to produce fuel-grade ethanol, he must submit to random searches of his property by the BATF, an agency despised more than most others by rural americans. Since no farmer wishes to endure this invasion of privacy, this potentialy valuble resource will forever remain untapped.
If rural americans were allowed to produce fuel ethanol without having to endure such indignities, we could reduce or even eliminate our dependance on foreign oil and eliminate the  ecenomic downfall of our small farms. Imagine being able to fill your tank from a pump located on a local family farm and pay the producer directly, rather than pay for a chain of production steps that may have started halfway around the planet.

#4 2003-08-08 15:12:33

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

To say that the end of fossil fuels is the end of civilisation and/or oportunity is to take the narrow world view that those who proffit from the fuels want us to take.

True.  Think about it, all their power relys on being what the world revolves around, an alternative will only destroy them.

*Them being the coal and oil establishment.

They are in fact HINDERING the development of renewable energy sources by their tax and regulation policies.

True.  Something also ingored is Nuclear power.  In my state, Ohio, 2 plants provide 11% of all the power used by my state.  JUST 2!!!!!!!!   They don't use any coal or oil at all.  In all ways, nuke is superior to coal and oil.  France has most of its eletric from nuke plants. . . . . . .I want it to happen here too. (america)

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#5 2003-08-15 18:29:16

space_psibrain

In just several decades oil will have run out, and we will have switched to other fossil fuels. But what when we run out of those? Those in power use their control over fossil fuels to continue their iron-fisted rule over the establishment, and what when it is all over? The end of fossil fuel is not the end of civilisation as we know it, but the tight-fisted control of civilization known to the establishment.

Day after day, the establishment sinks money into war, into propoganda, and into fruitless causes. If only say 1% of what was being given to the military were used for the development of space and space infrastructure (especially energy), we would have orbital settlements and Solar Power Satellites by now.

Most things being developed for "science" nowadays will find a military application. Indeed, consider "the Grand Challenge" of DARPA (to build a autonomous vehicle that can navigate a 350 mile course in 10 hours)...its all related to the establishment.

What we have to worry about is not fossil fuels (i guarantee that there will ba a solution to that that will be exploited), but the continued exploitation of our country for the desires and goals of the establishment.

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

Board footer