New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-07-19 14:50:21

Palomar

Re: Your favorite sci-fi TV show/series - Serious or kooky, it doesn't matter

http://www.scifi.com/mst3000/

*Alright, folks, the above is my favorite sci-fi TV series of all time:  Mystery Science Theater 3000!  Humans and robots mix it up to watch terrible old sci-fi movies; Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo are seated in front of the picture and at the bottom of your TV screen in theater chairs, seen in silhouette -- as though they're in a movie theater watching a big screen while you're watching all this on your TV screen.  They interject witty, sarcastic comments throughout the scenes, making wise cracks and smart-aleck comments when and where deserved throughout the movie!  I've laughed so hard at this show I've gotten side aches from it!  A friend of mine said he once laughed so hard to Crow the Robot going "bwak-bwak-bwak!" like a chicken when a silly human character in the movie opened his mouth in a funny way, that my friend almost pee'd his pants.

It used to be on the Sci-Fi Channel, and was canceled around 1998.  Too bad, it was hilarious!  smile  They're not showing re-runs, either...yet.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-07-19 15:04:37

Byron

Good gosh..you bring back some good memories... smile   MST3000 was a favorite of just everyone I knew...lol...never a dull moment...

I would have to say my favorite show (when I was a kid) was the Twilight Zone, followed by Lost In Space...as dumb as that show was, it never failed to crack me up  big_smile ("Danger, danger, Will Robinson!")
Another fave of mine was Star Trek TNG...that was a great series...

B

#3 2002-07-19 15:33:00

Mark S
Banned

Definitely "The X-Files." The show was believable, the plots were intriguing, and Chris Carter's extensive use of cliffhangar endings just made you want to watch more.  I especially liked how the writers worked spirituality and faith into the storylines of many episodes.  The only problem with calling X-Files "Science Fiction" is that the show became a little too real for some people (ones whose names rhyme with 'Richard Hoaglund.'))

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#4 2002-07-19 15:57:19

Palomar

*Since it is also frequently shown on the Sci-Fi Channel, I'll consider it [duh] in this category:  I love "Dark Shadows."  smile  I especially like watching for all the little mistakes they made on camera, like stumbling over words or nearly forgetting their lines.  It was definitely a cool TV show, and I watch it whenever I'm able to.  I still haven't quite figured out the attraction I have for it, considering I don't consider it extremely well written and the plots move slowly.  I suppose it's a combination of the late 60s/early 70s look, the creepy scenery...combined with the fact that I used to watch it as a kid at a friend's house, whose parents had cable TV in the mid 1970s [!].

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2002-07-19 17:25:53

Adrian
Website

I was a big fan of the X-Files during seasons 1 to 3, but after that point I got too tired about the never-ending conspiracy and the fact that you never got to find anything out. So I gave up on it.

Babylon 5 was a great SF show - the storyline was excellent, and while the writing was at times uneven, it had some real moments.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#6 2002-07-19 20:08:19

Palomar

*Anybody here a "Dr. Who" fan?  I could never quite get the premise of that show.  Maybe it was a cultural barrier (USA/UK) thing.

--Cindy

#7 2002-07-19 20:54:36

Phobos

Does anybody remember that single season wonder with those fighter pilots in space that were fighting off the "tigs" (not sure if that's the name, but it sounded something like that.)  I think it was called something like Space: Above and Beyond.  I didn't really care for it, but it popped into my mind for some reason.   Anyways, I'd have to vote for Star Trek: TNG as my favorite.

Babylon 5 was a great SF show - the storyline was excellent, and while the writing was at times uneven, it had some real moments.

That was a great show.  My favorite episode was the one where that one guy thought he was King Arthur.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#8 2002-07-20 06:13:13

Byron

*Anybody here a "Dr. Who" fan?  I could never quite get the premise of that show.  Maybe it was a cultural barrier (USA/UK) thing.

I personally never got into that show, it's O.K.; it's bit "off" in my opinion..lol..but I had a friend in college that was absolutely *nuts* about "Dr. Who."  He never missed an espisode, and he would say things like if the station managers ever took that show off the air, he would go and hijack the station himself and force them to put it back on the air at gunpoint.  Go ahead and laugh if you'd like.. tongue , but this guy was really, really crazy about Dr. Who...

B

Board footer