New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-12-17 14:44:22

Bill White

Re: the christian double standard

Most of this thread belongs in an AOL chatroom - - or on slashdot. . .  R U wid me?

Well, you don't have to be mean about it Bill.  tongue  big_smile

There is only one person this comment was directed against. . .

And I am a proud AOL acCount holdr, as is ROBERT ZUBRIN.

Its pretty cool to log onto AOL and see Robert Zubrin's name show up on my "Buddy List" as having been recently on-line.

#27 2003-12-17 14:49:23

clark

Well, regardless of who it was intended for, remember the Terms of Service for the New Mars message board, which I know everyone has read and commited to memory, that no ad homien attacks are allowed. Careful, or you will be reported.  tongue :laugh: 

I mean, what if a first time Slashdotter came here, or another AOL account holder, and this was the first thread they saw? Is that the type of image we wish to perpetuate here for the Mars Society? I don't think so.  big_smile

#28 2003-12-17 14:54:16

clark

What's Zubrin's account name? That's pretty niffty.

#29 2003-12-17 15:18:11

dickbill

Oush ! that thread is difficult to follow ! an attack to AOL or Zubrin now, well, that has nothing to do with religion.
I think that attacks on religion are silly. And for what purpose, converting people ? attack refers to force and violence, so it's like converting people to a belief by force. That's a silly concept, "converting" by force is just brain washing.
But cases of free conversions occured and continue to occur of course.

(just in case this is the topic of this thread)

#30 2003-12-17 15:55:35

Palomar

Clark:  "All people are equal, but some are more equal than others."

*Not really.  Consider that you own your car; you're not thought of as having a "more equal than others" attitude because you don't let other people use it (or abuse it) at whim.

Clark:  "Well, regardless of who it was intended for, remember the Terms of Service for the New Mars message board, which I know everyone has read and commited to memory, that no ad homien attacks are allowed. Careful, or you will be reported."

*You sure have an interesting way of phrasing things.  Clever misdirections seem to abound.  smile  Fact is, there is a statement during the registration process that "flames and ad homien attacks will not be tolerated."  Think of it as quality control.  smile

As for "Careful, or you will be reported."  This is an exaggeration.  I've only referred 2 incidents in 1-1/2 years to Adrian.  I have known of a few other incidents where others here have complained to the moderator...but these are rare.  Don't happen often.  Please don't exaggerate.  Thank you.

Clark:  "I mean, what if a first time Slashdotter came here, or another AOL account holder, and this was the first thread they saw? Is that the type of image we wish to perpetuate here for the Mars Society? I don't think so."

*Interesting "slant" on my previous sentiments.  "We?"  You're not a member of the Mars Society.

And if a Slashdotter or AOL account holder were to see this thread as "the first," I would hope they'd be appreciative of the fact that a few of us here would stick up for them, if their religion of choice were singled out for ridicule and assaulted.

Hopefully others here will understand.

I think it's better to DIScourage ridicule and assault on a singled-out religion than to encourage it by minimalizing/trivializing the incident or to laugh it off or try and twist things around to create confusion and make the right people look wrong, etc....; but maybe that's "just me."

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#31 2003-12-17 16:12:55

clark

Is this what they call a 'dialogue'?  big_smile

I believe, please note that this is my belief, and in no way founded in reality, that you might be taking my generalized comments a bit too personaly.

Come on Cindy, holiday season and cheer? Stuffed turkey for Tiny Tim? Goodwill towards our fellow man? I would start caroling the computer screen, but, well, it seems a bit empty.  smile

For all intents and purposes, this thread is not long for the world. Adrian will no doubt have the good sense to delete several offending posts, if not this entire thread.

Flashgordon is a flash in the pants, if you ask me. Some dork makes a few quips, stirs the hornet nest, and then the hornets start to buzz. Buzzzzzzz.

Yeah, I riffed off of your statements. Absolutely no ill will was intended. Come on, Terms of Service is like the cyber version of 'fine print'. My little comment was to point out that we glance, and forget these sign posts on the imformation super highway (thanks Gore!). My comment about the Slashdotters and AOL'ers again was just harmless fun. When all is said and done, anyone can claim an 'identity' (like a religion or race or being part of a certain group) and be offended by what people post, or how they post it. So maybe we all can take a step back and not fall into this little trap?

Am I the only one that notices the holiday cheer requirement of one month a year?  big_smile

We?"  You're not a member of the Mars Society.

No, I'm not. But then, I don't believe in the goals of the society. Does that mean I can't play with those who do? This is a pretty open area, so making an issue out of who is, and isn't a member seems a bit, well, silly.

Besides, I do try to contribute in other ways. I can toot my own horn, but I won't.  big_smile If it means anything, I think your non-monetary contributions to the Mars Society, and new mars are worth more.

I think it's better to DIScourage ridicule and assault on a singled-out religion than to encourage it by minimalizing/trivializing the incident or to laugh it off or try and twist things around to create confusion and make the right people look wrong, etc....; but maybe that's "just me."

I can agree, but soemtimes there is more than one road to the same city.

Please realize I am not making fun of you, I know it may seem that way, but I'm not.

Anyone up for a round of "Jingle Bells"?  :laugh:

#32 2003-12-17 16:30:52

Cobra Commander

As an atheist, I'm not in the least bit offended by attacks on any religion, however I see no point in those attacks. If someone wants to believe in something that you don't, why should anyone care? I know that some Christians can be a little overzealous in their desire to convert, but that is hardly limited only to Christianity or religion in general for that matter. When you believe something you try to convince others of its inherent rightness, whatever that belief may be.

To sum it up:

While I won't come to a religion's defense, I applaud Cindy for doing so.

Welcome, Paul.

flashgordon, you're being an ass.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#33 2003-12-17 23:33:05

flashgordon

i don't get around to seeing this post for a day, and it gets up to 32 replies which I don't even feel like reading, analysing, and replying myself; to say the least I havn't read anything past the first few posts of a day or so ago, and I don't even feel like it quite frankly.  The future is coming so fast for any anti-science movement to stop anyways.  Hopefully, I don't run into any more of the religious extremists for awhile.

#34 2003-12-18 02:53:30

Josh Cryer

I see no point for this thread, which is why I didn't get in to it. But what the hey. I'm getting in to it now.

I see no point for this thread.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#35 2003-12-18 18:38:33

Adrian
Website

This thread is locked. This might be the 'Free Chat' forum, but New Mars is no place for trolling. Flashgordon, consider yourself officially warned. People on these forums know that I have no hesitation in permanently banning users, so don't try posting anything like this again.

And before you ask, this has nothing to do with religious stances. Regardless of my or anyone else's religion on these forums, attacks on religions are not allowed here, nor are threads that have no productive purpose.

Edited By Adrian on 1071913864

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

Board footer