New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-16 20:34:14

flashgordon

Re: the christian double standard

only they get to convert others.  While they've been going around since the beginning of their religion converting with any means necessary, they then get ruffled feathers if anybody points out anything wrong with their religion!

#2 2003-12-16 21:16:22

Palomar

only they get to convert others.  While they've been going around since the beginning of their religion converting with any means necessary, they then get ruffled feathers if anybody points out anything wrong with their religion!

*Well, this is a first:  Calling out a specific religion for purposes of baiting and insulting. 

I am NOT a Christian, by the way.

Whatever respect I may have had for you, flashgordon, is totally gone.  We don't need this kind of bullsh*t here. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2003-12-16 21:26:12

flashgordon

i hate politically correct people.

#4 2003-12-16 21:27:34

flashgordon

I have lost all respect for you(not that I had much to start with!LoL) you non-thinking a$$-kisser.

#5 2003-12-16 21:28:23

flashgordon

you didn't even answer the question you snob.

#6 2003-12-16 21:31:27

Palomar

*That's okay, flashgordon.  Adrian's been notified.  He'll deal with it, I'm sure.

And I've copied and pasted your trolling for his perusal as well (just in case it "suddenly disappears" [-- read:  You cover your tracks and delete it]).

--Cindy

flashgordon

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hate politically correct people. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flashgordon

I have lost all respect for you(not that I had much to start with!LoL) you non-thinking a$$-kisser. 

flashgordon

you didn't even answer the question you snob. 

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#7 2003-12-16 21:53:57

~Eternal~

Hi smile, I'm a christian and you can go do whatever you want with your life, infact I recommend slitting your wrist  cool .

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#8 2003-12-16 21:59:04

flashgordon

thank you for for proving me correct about you people.

#9 2003-12-16 22:03:07

flashgordon

see, christians are not as cute as everyone thinks; see the fact that they burned down the ancient center of learner - the library of alexandria and skinned Hypatia alive because she was the head of the library at the time.

I bet you believe in reincarnation don't you?  You are the reincarnation of those crazies.  You are the white racsists against blacks.

How do you know the devil wrote the bible?  How do you know that Jesus wasn't the devil himself?  You don't; in fact, you are the devil.

#10 2003-12-16 22:04:44

flashgordon

you are the types that voted to have Socrates commit suicide.  If I get banned, I go down with Socrates - evaluate your life and beliefs.

#11 2003-12-16 22:23:04

~Eternal~

I believe in Evolution,
I believe that Alexandria was SO precious and would have hoped it was rebuilt had I lived in that era ;_;.
And I don't see white/black/Asian/etc... I support Cultures over colors.
Thank You Mr. LOOK AT ME.

Oh and Socrates ROCKED big_smile.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#12 2003-12-17 00:15:50

flashgordon

so explain to me mr spin doctor, why are christians the only ones allowed to convert?

#13 2003-12-17 00:23:26

Shaun Barrett

Without wishing to become involved in this 'debate', is there something missing from the first post here?
    As far as I can make out, Flashgordon's opening post consists of 1.5 sentences.
    Was that 'all she wrote'?
    Where's the rest of it? ... You know, the carefully reasoned basis upon which the argument is constructed .. stuff like that?
                                            ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#14 2003-12-17 09:49:20

flashgordon

do I have to tell a whole bunch of little stories highlighting this phenomenon?

#15 2003-12-17 11:27:01

clark

What's the problem you have with chrisitianity?

The love thy neighbor part?

Perhaps it's the bit on compassion and mercy. Yeah, they must be crazy, huh? Wait, i know, it's got to be the idea that people need to work on being better, that we are falliable. That one always gets me mad.

To think, they believe in all this clap trap, and they want to share it with others. I mean, it's not like it's an idea about mankind becoming better by going out into the stars. Now that is a worthwhile idea that everyone needs to learn, right Flash?

And Ecrasez_I_infame, must we always run to Adrian to solve our problems?

Flash is a bit misguided, but I think his feelings are understandable. He has obviously become embittered with religion, or more precisely, Chrisitianity (probably that born-again flavor, right?) I'm sure there are others who at least have some inkling of what that's like, no?  big_smile

Chrisitians are not the only ones allowed to 'convert'. However, anyone trying to convert anyone else does so becuase they think they are right. That their beliefs are right, and so you should see their truth.

Some people are just a bit more pushy about it, and it's not neccessarily becuase of their religion.

As the Beatles said, who were much bigger than Jesus, "All we need it love."  :laugh:

#16 2003-12-17 11:48:11

Palomar

And Ecrasez_I_infame, must we always run to Adrian to solve our problems?

*Oh, quite the contrary.  smile  I've participated here for 1-1/2 years now, and have only contacted Adrian twice (2 times; last evening being the 2nd occasion) regarding anything which goes on here.

The current situation IS a matter for the Moderator.

You have a good day.  smile

--Cindy

P.S.:  Terms of Agreement upon registration for participation at this board has a rule about ad homien attacks.

#17 2003-12-17 12:00:42

Bill White

I have heard (read?) the assertion that Voltaire was no atheist but rather was =MORE= Christian than the hypocrites within the Church heirarchy that he skewered.

The same source alleges he did attend Mass, on occasion.

#18 2003-12-17 12:06:02

clark

Adrian, the "Moderator". I imagine Adrian with dark sunglasses, time travellling to before we post, preventing what is said after it has already happened. Is it a good Moderator, or a bad one? Will he save John Conner? Does he have a fat Hog and snappy one-liners?

"Ah-sta la ve-sta, Flashy."

Maybe something more Thunderdome-ish. "Two men enter, one man leave." Everyone, chant with me, "two men enter, one man leave." Alright, it's getting louder! Great, perhaps after the main event we can all go on a giant chase through the Australian outback after Flashgordon and his anti-chrisitian quips!

Come on everyone, just laugh and let this go. Flash becomes what he hates most by acting and saying these things about the people he dislikes most. It is entirely too funny.

Becoming what you hate. It waits for all of us, so learn.  big_smile

I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. I bet New Mexico deserts are just this side of perfect in winter.

Arizona deserts are the other side of perfect, and California, well, it's always perfect... except before, after, or during whatever vote some yahoo thinks up.  big_smile

#19 2003-12-17 12:11:42

Palomar

I have heard (read?) the assertion that Voltaire was no atheist but rather was =MORE= Christian than the hypocrites within the Church heirarchy that he skewered.

The same source alleges he did attend Mass, on occasion.

*Hi Bill:

Voltaire was a Deist.

There is conflicting information as to whether he ever attended mass in adulthood or not. 

A church official of the time told Voltaire "You are more of a Christian than most Christians I know," when Voltaire stepped up to help the Calas family after Mr. Calas (an elderly man; nearly 70 at the time) had been accused of murdering his son.  The Calas family were Protestant.  A rumor was circulated that the son had wanted to converted to Catholicism and that the father had killed him to prevent this.  The truth was that the son was very depressed about the oppression (lack of opportunities) he faced as a Protestant.  He hanged himself (suicide).  There was no indication found or known that he'd ever considered converting to Catholicism.

The murder rumor spread like wildfire, Mr. Calas was seized, tortured to extract a "confession," then broken on the wheel (a gruesome death).

News traveled slowly in those days.  When Voltaire heard of it, he became suspicious.  In his experience, old people weren't generally driven to murder out of religious zeal; that was usually done by younger people.  He called family members to him, looked into the case...petitioned and started a years-long letter-writing campaign to have Mr. Calas tried posthumously in a legitimate court (during this time Voltaire took care of the Calas family financially).  The French courts tried the case, and declared Mr. Calas innocent and having been wrongly put to death.  During this time, Voltaire was warned by a few high officials in the church to "back off" and leave the matter alone.  He wouldn't; he had a keen sense of humanitarism and justice.  This is what prompted the clergyman to tell Voltaire he considered him more of a Christian than most Christians he'd ever known (for showing compassion, care, love of justice, etc...which that clergyman considered as being Christian virtues).

And now back to work...

--Cindy

#20 2003-12-17 13:16:38

dickbill

The Calas family were Protestant.  A rumor was circulated that the son had wanted to converted to Catholicism and that

yes , but protestant or catholic, it doesn't matter, they are both recognized as "christian". What we are ? sinners, I guess.

Another thing, maybe Flashgordon story about bad whites/supremacist/racist/christians etc, must be taken with humour:
Have you read the news about the US senator, white segregationist, who actually had an african american wife and children and hide it all his life ?
What about that radio showman, Limgbauth or something like that, who said that everybody who takes drud is a sinner and must go to Hell, except that he allows it for himself. Those people that were listening to him religiously for years, well, they must be disapointed then.

What about this other icon of morality, Charles Lindberg, who in addition of his family in the US, had 2 children from a german woman, and 3 other from another german woman, sister of the first but living in a different german city. This had been revealed recently. Does it make Lindberg a bad man ?

The irony of life... what's the moral value of those lessons of morality that we receive constantly, and constantly we are deceived.

#21 2003-12-17 13:36:25

Palomar

Me:  "The Calas family were Protestant.  A rumor was circulated that the son had wanted to converted to Catholicism and that..."

dickbill:  "yes , but protestant or catholic, it doesn't matter, they are both recognized as "christian". What we are ? sinners, I guess."

*I'm simply relating the facts, dickbill.  smile

dickbill:  "Another thing, maybe Flashgordon story about bad whites/supremacist/racist/christians etc, must be taken with humour:"

*Let's suppose a Christian is a newcomer to New Mars (which is affiliated with the Mars Society).  One of the first messages he or she sees is "the christian double standard" and flashgordon's derogatory 1st (initial) post. 

Is this the sort of image the Mars Society wants to project?  I don't think so.  The scientific (and related-interest) community already has the stigma of being "atheist" and (here in America) "anti-Christian" particularly.  There has NEVER been a thread started similar to this one, which (however it may turn out...) initially began as a direct and derogatory attack on 1 religion singled out for that purpose. 

This is inappropriate, in my opinion. 

Also, the repeated ad homien attacks were out of line.  These message boards aren't "free"...every Mars Society member's dues (yours, mine, etc.) funds this board.  No one has to put up with name-calling here, especially not members whose money pays for the maintenance and upkeep of these boards.

--Cindy  smile

#22 2003-12-17 13:52:13

clark

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others.  big_smile

I hear a raging storm coming, hurricane Adrian I believe. Batton down the message boards, otherwise some posts might be lost!  :laugh:

#23 2003-12-17 14:29:04

clark

Welcome Paul.  smile

#24 2003-12-17 14:31:03

Bill White

I've been watching this, now I've got this to say.

Thankyou, Cindy, for doing what's right, for holding your ground. 

I'm a Christian, all my life. Attacks on religion don't belong here, imho. Sad to see some people here look at this as funny, or are trying to make more trouble out of it. And they call us bigots.

Nice forum other-wise, tho....I might stick around.

Most of this thread belongs in an AOL chatroom - - or on slashdot. . .  R U wid me?

Yet. . .

Nice forum other-wise, tho....I might stick around.

I have heard that the Lord can work in mysterious ways. . . :;):

Warm greetings to Paul

#25 2003-12-17 14:32:34

clark

Most of this thread belongs in an AOL chatroom - - or on slashdot. . .  R U wid me?

Well, you don't have to be mean about it Bill.  tongue  big_smile

Board footer