New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-05-21 20:08:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not in My Back Yard

General topic of things that we would not want near by being done.

Open pit mining....Garbage dumps...Prisons....

http://www.virginiauranium.com/

Uranium mining
Uranium mining is the process of extraction of uranium ore from the ground. The worldwide production of uranium in 2012 amounted to 58,394 tonnes. Kazakhstan, Canada, and Australia are the top three producers and together account for 64% of world uranium production.

U.S. top court takes up challenge to Virginia uranium mining ban for public health reasons in a dispute over a moratorium Virginia put in place on the radioactive metal in 1982. Virginia Energy Resources Inc subsidiary and other owners of the largest U.S. uranium deposit to revive a lawsuit thrown out by a lower court that sought to invalidate Virginia's ban because it conflicted with a federal law that regulates nuclear power generation.

The dispute concerns whether the federal Atomic Energy Act of 1954 preempts Virginia's mining ban under the U.S. Constitution's so-called Supremacy Clause, which holds that federal law generally trumps state law.

The massive uranium deposit in Pittsylvania County, at the midpoint of the state’s border with North Carolina, was discovered decades ago, but in the 1980s the General Assembly prohibited mining because of concerns about radioactivity.

The federal government argued that the state has no jurisdiction to prohibit the mine, because such activities are regulated by the NRC. Virginia has maintained that it does have jurisdiction and that the Atomic Energy Act is aimed at uranium mining on federal lands. The Pittsylvania deposit, near Chatham, is privately owned and so outside federal jurisdiction, Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring has argued.

Did not the monuments get reduced to make that Uranium mine able?

#2 2018-05-22 04:22:41

Terraformer
Website

Re: Not in My Back Yard

New housing. Shops. Poor people. Schools.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2018-05-22 17:50:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Not in My Back Yard

Increases in cancer from inhalation of dust...

Then again how does where you live rank with the States with the highest cancer rates

Something else you would not want to close to your home is An actual sinkhole has opened on the White House north lawn. It’s growing

Often described as a “swamp” of corruption, the city of Washington, DC, is also literally built on a swamp. The city’s geological issues include “forebulge collapse,” a post-Ice Age condition that means the city could sink as much as six inches this century.

Sinkholes have opened up across the city in recent years. They forced two residents to abandon their homes in March, and swallowed up a school bus last year. This is the first report of one on the White House lawn.

Dam tunnel rats....

Board footer