New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-03-07 09:40:27

Palomar7

Husband's high school reunion

It's in the works. Class of 1978.

He and 3 others met up Sunday night at a local sports bar and grill to start making plans.

Apparently all 3 former classmates want to be CREMATED after they DIE.

:-\

Such merriment and lighthearted banter already! :-p

If plans do go through, I'll attend one function with husband "just because." And hope it's not all doom, gloom, people discussing funeral plans. <_< Yes, there are a lot of troubles in the world, but c'mon...

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

#2 2018-03-07 10:44:12

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Husband's high school reunion

My 5-year high school reunion would have been a couple years ago.  I'm not sure if I wasn't invited or it didn't happen at all, but I wouldn't have gone anyway. 

Didn't like most of those people when I was 16 and I see no reason why I'd like them more now.

-Josh

#3 2018-03-07 12:06:44

GW Johnson
Website

Well,  I guess that dates me.  My 50th should be this year.  Wife's 45th,  too.  There's not so many left now,  but she and I were fortunate enough to like quite a lot of them. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#4 2018-03-07 12:52:09

Palomar7

I'm class of 1983.

It's starting to feel "like a while ago" now. :-]

JoshNH4H

My 5-year high school reunion would have been a couple years ago.  I'm not sure if I wasn't invited or it didn't happen at all, but I wouldn't have gone anyway.

Didn't like most of those people when I was 16 and I see no reason why I'd like them more now.

Well, there's that. In my 25 years with D, this is only the 2nd such reunion (that town a scant 35 miles away). He later talked (in person) to a former classmate who was irate and angry at having "not been invited" before. Again, this is only the 2nd reunion that I'm aware of. So already there's hard feelings. It's already started on sour notes (sad).

GW Johnson

There's not so many left now,  but she and I were fortunate enough to like quite a lot of them.

Ah, folks your age know how to socialize. ^_^

#5 2018-03-07 14:32:26

IanM
Banned

I graduated from high school 2.5 years ago, Class of 2015. I already keep in touch with good friends in this age of social media (EDIT: And I meet up with them at least once every year), I don't particularly think I'd attend mine.

Last edited by IanM (2018-03-07 14:43:23)

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#6 2018-03-07 15:14:29

Palomar7

IanM wrote:

I graduated from high school 2.5 years ago, Class of 2015.

Whippersnapper. ;-p

I already keep in touch with good friends in this age of social media (EDIT: And I meet up with them at least once every year), I don't particularly think I'd attend mine.

This is a rather unsocial area (I'm from 1300 miles away), and these folks aren't keeping in touch via social media either. My husband is unusually sociable for being a native. I wish this h.s. reunion good luck...it needs it.

Your reply makes me wonder if such reunions will soon become obsolete. If they're not (unofficially) already.

#7 2018-03-07 15:53:30

JoshNH4H
Website

I'd say they probably are.  I talk to the people from high school who I'd actually want to talk to, and otherwise it seems like reunions are mostly about showing off.

\Cynic

I hope people enjoy their reunions more than I would!

-Josh

#8 2018-03-07 17:30:36

GW Johnson
Website

Yeah,  early on,  reunions are about showing off,  and you tend to gather with those you liked,  and ignore those you didn't.  There is something about the passage of decades that mitigates that,  however.  Life turns out to be more precious than pride.

Here's an example.  My class had a 40th reunion.  Not many of us were still alive (and willing) to attend,  so it was quite the small gathering,  compared to the nearly 500 of us that graduated together. 

Among those there was a man who as a primary school boy was something of the school bully and my nemesis way back then.  I spoke with him at length,  and he had turned out to be a very decent human being.  Made me sad that I had missed seeing this about him earlier,  but I live over 100 miles from the town in which my school days took place.  I have not lived there in over 4 decades.

Those of us that are still left,  by and large,  feel the same way that I do.  Life,  all of us,  are precious.  The passage of time not only ages us,  it also confers the wisdom to see this truth.

Speaking of aging,  I have to go in for back surgery next week.

It has crippled me severely in recent weeks,  causing intense pain and some degree of paralysis.  I did knees about a decade ago,  and that turned out very well.  Assuming this turns out well,  it will be very nice to stand up straight and walk normally once again,  for all day long. 

Wish me luck,  the neurosurgeon and I both are going to need it.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2018-03-07 17:31:58)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#9 2018-03-07 17:33:33

JoshNH4H
Website

Wishing you a successful surgery and a rapid recovery!

-Josh

#10 2018-03-07 17:54:12

IanM
Banned

^Agreed, good luck with your back!

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. -Paraphrased from Tsiolkovsky

#11 2018-03-07 18:11:05

Palomar7

JoshNH4H wrote:

Wishing you a successful surgery and a rapid recovery!

Yes indeed.

#12 2018-03-09 00:28:35

clark

Reunion: a rite of passage predicated on the belief that random chance is a uniting force for forming a shared experience among strangers, who then return to a place of origin and compare or reminiscence.

We are strangers adrift on an endless ocean making a ship in the hands we cling, and the hearts we hold. Time, an inexplicable current, pulls some to far off shores, never to be seen again; never gone, merely absent. Then there are those few. Those who let loose, casting off to slip beyond our horizon, returning, perhaps, one day with tales to share, and ears to listen.

Everyday is a reunion if you know where to look.

Best wishes and speedy recovery GW.

#13 2018-03-09 05:22:34

elderflower

Best wishes for a rapid recovery GW.

Board footer