New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-02-18 21:48:46

Void

It is impossible to have a rational converstation here or I am insane.

Either way I should leave and never return.  Bye then, hope we never meet again.

Done.

#2 2018-02-19 09:05:34

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: It is impossible to have a rational converstation here or I am insane.

Hey Void,

I find that Newmars is a great place to be as long as you never look at or comment on the political threads.

I find that intelligence and knowledge do not correlate in different fields.  It has happened many a time that one of our members will post an insightful, well-written, well-researched post in an on-topic thread, then head over to a politics thread and post something that I find to be abhorrent, or illegible, or just plain wrong.

We're a space forum, and the more we focus on space the better off we'll be.  I hope you will consider staying!

-Josh

#3 2018-02-19 12:49:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sometimes my short posts are to vague and that is the issue for the images that I am trying to bring forward to fill in some of the thoughts running in my head.
I am glad that you did come back to that topic to post some more of your thoughts.
Coversation is what makes for a more complete veiw of a problem or issue.

#4 2018-02-19 14:14:10

Void

Josh and Spacenut thankyou.  I was out of line.  Very kind of you.  And yes most likely I am a bit insane at times, especially if I indulge too much.  My fault entirely.

Done.

#5 2018-02-19 14:40:23

JoshNH4H
Website

No no, you're an important member of this forum and I'm glad you're here (And obviously this is definitely true for SpaceNut and the rest of you space cadets as well smile )

One of our biggest strengths as a forum is our diversity.  We have people of all ages and education levels and in lots of different industries from across the world.  It's great when we're talking about space because we have lots of ideas and perspectives (and people can do a lot of teaching and learning) but when it comes to politics this can be uniquely frustrating because we're bound by a common love of space but not by any shared political ideology.

Best, in my opinion, to stick it out and let those discussions go as they may.

-Josh

#6 2018-02-22 08:12:19

clark

this is just text.

#7 2018-02-22 15:55:33

Palomar7

Void wrote:

Either way I should leave and never return.  Bye then, hope we never meet again.

Take heart.

Times are difficult all around. Long-time online friends have become withdrawn. Lots of people are depressed or afraid (I'm sometimes both!).

I hope you'll stay and contribute.

I currently have a really hectic work schedule, but I'll try and contribute more often. Now back to (what else?) work... :-)

Last edited by Palomar7 (2018-02-22 15:56:38)

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

#8 2018-02-22 22:38:23

Void

Palomar7

Hay, thanks!

Actually I'm not very proud of my outburst.

Truth is I am retired, and other than working out at the gym this is one of my pastimes. I like solving space puzzles/Mars puzzles.
I'm not a depressed young person.  They say that the old are happier than the young.  I can testify to that.  However just now and then I get tired of disrespect.  But I should be stronger than that.

Done.

#9 2018-02-23 17:46:43

Void

I was traveling Clark.  Interesting question.  I really put myself on the spot.

First of all, all of this should have been rehearsed.  Second, if you don't have redundancy, then you should have gotten medieval on the accountants/politicians/lazy jerks that did not plan for it, or who didn't care that much about people like you.

But OK, there you are.  If you have to do panic mode which is not recommended at all, consider duct tape and friends.

Otherwise you should have built a much more robust system, which would offer you more chances.

I worked in a mining process a long time ago.  I was a technician of some sort.  The hardest lesson I had to learn was to not run to the job when I got a call on the radio.  Another person gave me that lesson.  Run to the job in a panic, and you won't be able to think.  $10,000.00 per minute in 1970's dollars.  This person forced me to learn to walk calmly to the job.  Many people won't understand that.  But, careful thinking requires it.  Yes if you are in danger of quick death on Mars, and have no options, then perhaps communication will help tell the dimwits what you think of their idiotic methods for Mars.

Then again communication is an appropriate behavior.  Perhaps someone will be able to save you, or perhaps you will at least teach other people how to not get into the trap you got into.

Last edited by Void (2018-02-23 17:52:31)

Done.

#10 2018-03-03 15:37:27

Antius

Void wrote:

Void, man, you sound depressed.  Dr Antius prescribes prozac.  It takes a while to work, but after a few weeks it kicks in.  It works a treat, trouble is it does make you lethargic.

In answer to your question, you are frequenting a board dedicated to colonizing another planet.  Rational is relative.  Good ideas voiced here may get used someday, but will bring no personal profit or recognition to any of us.  Sober up and get laid or take Prozac.  If you enjoy this board, then come back.  If you don't, then don't spend another minute here.  Enjoy your life and never look back.

Last edited by Antius (2018-03-03 15:44:32)

#11 2018-03-03 16:26:28

Void

My apologies.  That was just a bad moment.  Good advice though.  I'm just fine, and more than fine. But I will take a moderators advice and avoid chat.

Done.

#12 2018-03-04 04:55:35

elderflower

Void. Perhaps you just have a lack of bright sunlight. It is Northern winter. Try to get outdoors during daylight hours and buy a sunshine mimicking lamp. Any Mars colony will need such light sources as outdoors will not be an option.

#13 2018-03-04 11:22:06

Void

Very kind of you to offer concern.  Actually, I work out at a gym typically 5 times a week, typically heavy workouts.  The lights are fluorescent and people/acquaintances/Trainers are involved.  Endorphins appear.  I do this to keep my mental and physical health.  However, yes it is likely a person of northern European heritage could have a problem with winter, but I will point out that I am likely at a latitude favorable relative to yours.  Don't have a map just now, but this is not the land of the midnight sun.

But thanks.  I guess I just go off sometimes with frustration and I should not do so.

Done.

Board footer