New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2018-01-03 19:45:45

Palomar7

Lord Byron's daughter, Ada Lovelace

Read about this lady only last evening.

I've been reading Romantic poets; currently Percy Bysshe Shelley. He and wife Mary (author of "Frankenstein") spent the summer of 1816 with Lord Byron in Geneva (where Mary wrote "Frankenstein"). That led me to reading (peripherally, at this point) some biographical information about Lord Byron (will delve into his poetry soon), which naturally led onto family history and his genius daughter:

http://www.history.com/news/10-things-y … a-lovelace

9. Her contributions to computing weren’t recognized until a century after her death.
Lovelace’s ideas about computing were so far ahead of their time that it took nearly a century for technology to catch up.

in 1843 with only her initials, “A.A.L.” In Note G of her elaborate paper, Lovelace wrote of how the machine could be programmed with a code to calculate Bernoulli numbers, which some consider to be the first algorithm to be carried out by a machine and thus the first computer program.

10. A computer programming language is named in Lovelace’s honor.

I'm not so hot in the Math Dept, so never knew this (despite loving history).

Original registration - May 2002

[i]I want that Million Year Picnic on Mars[/i]

Board footer