New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-16 09:48:07

Bryan

Re: The Idea of an Internation Space Agency - Just how might it work ?

Just how does the ESA work ?
How do multiple countries decide what projects to spend their money on and how much money to give. Do larger contributors have more influence in the decsions ?

The reason I'm asking is because I have always dreamed that having one single international space agency to pool humanity's resources would greatly increase our pace of advancement in space, and allow for more ambitiouis programs.
I often hear of multiple countries working on similar projects that have the same goals. If all countries could agree to form such an agency then costs could be reduced.
Also it seems better to me to have the best minds on the planet working together to solve problems then to compete.
The thing I have trouble with is how such a system would work to satisfy every country.
I envision little control by the contributing countries, I would like them to give their share of the money and resources and leave the decisions to "ISA"(International Space Agency).
Naturally the contributing countries would still maintain a smaller more specialized space agency to concentrate on launching commercial & military satalites and any program that is not being worked on by the ISA.
The the ISA could work on manned missions to mars and the moon. Developments of new space telescopes capable of detecting earth like planets, deep space probes, radio telescopes, etc.
I don't really see fighting between countries because all the capable scientist will be working for the ISA, so if there is debate it will be within the ISA. Not a debate between countries.

I'm interested in how such a system could work, so please critique this as much as possilbe to make as workable a system as possible. Your suggestion and idea's are wanted !

#2 2002-06-16 12:48:12

Phobos

Re: The Idea of an Internation Space Agency - Just how might it work ?

The reason I'm asking is because I have always dreamed that having one single international space agency to pool humanity's resources would greatly increase our pace of advancement in space, and allow for more ambitiouis programs.

It might work if other space agencies are allowed to also work seperately on their own space projects.  I don't think any one agency should be given absolute power to make all decisions concerning spaceflight, but as something of a consortium where different countries could come to together to brainstorm on projects, I think it's a great idea.  I tend to think we need to open up space to private interests as well to advance rapidly.  Even though people hate corporations and private business, if there's a profit to be made, and I think there is, these interests will be a hell of a lot more efficient in developing the economic resources.  I have big hopes that private companies like StarChaser Industries might be able to open up spaceflight as a routine venture for the average citizen sometime in the future.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer