New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-08-13 08:12:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Total Solar Eclipse

From a long time member of NewMars Palomar aka elsewhere

Bellatrix wrote:

Sun will be a crescent over my area (4th Sun/Moon up from lower left):

Eclipse2017_USA.jpg

And roughly 15 minutes prior to Noon. I'll definitely step out to see it! smile Safely, of course.

The chance to view will be just the once on earth but on the Space station crew to get three shots at solar eclipse

For the station crew, the first partial eclipse opportunity will begin at 12:33 a.m. EDT (GMT-4) and end 13 minutes later.

The International Space Station's crew will enjoy views of the Aug. 21 solar eclipse during three successive orbits, giving the astronauts a unique opportunity to take in the celestial show from 250 miles up as the moon's shadow races across from the Pacific Ocean and the continental United States before moving out over the Atlantic.

"Because we're going around the Earth every 90 minutes, about the time it takes the sun to cross the U.S., we'll get to see it three times,"

081117-iss-map2.jpg

#2 2017-08-18 18:23:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Total Solar Eclipse

NASA jets will chase solar eclipse at 50,000 feet

On Monday, a total solar eclipse will travel coast-to-coast in the U.S. for the first time in 99 years. Four NASA flight crew members who will be chasing the eclipse over Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky at 460 mph.

"These planes will be outfitted with special cameras in their nose cones," Caspi said. "So the planes … will be looking at the solar corona, the outer atmosphere of the sun." "Our results will lead to a better understanding of the corona, which will eventually lead to a better understanding of ...flares and coronal mass ejections," Caspi said.

"They can cause blackouts of radio frequency communications. Cell phones can have trouble working," Caspi explained. "It can cause power outages by knocking out power grids."

The best way to understand what erupts off the sun's corona is to photograph it over long periods of time. But ground-based cameras will only have about two minutes of total eclipse time.

Because two of the planes will be flying tandem along the eclipse path, it will give scientists an unprecedented look at the sun.

"Each plane will be able to observe totality for about four minutes. And when we stitch together the observations from both of the airplanes, we be getting  about seven- to seven-and-a-half minutes of total solar eclipse," Caspi said. "We'll be getting 30 photographs a second for seven-and-a-half minutes of totality. … That's about 29,000 photographs between the two airplanes."

#3 2017-08-18 18:27:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Solar eclipse could cost employers big in lost productivity

Tell them to punch out or to use vacation time to cover there non work time not sick.

The first solar eclipse visible in the U.S. since 1979 will take place in the middle of the workday, which may cost employers as much as $694 million in lost productivity, according to global outplacement and coaching firm Challenger, Grey & Christmas, which analyzed wage and employment data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

States and cities in the path of the eclipse, which stretches from Oregon to South Carolina, could suffer productivity losses of almost $200 million.

#4 2017-08-18 18:49:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now here a way to profit from the solar show....
11 eclipse-themed recipes that are literally out of this world

56e99b0c584ce3086be188279eff2c72.jpg

yum, yum....

1. Black and White Cookies
New Yorkers, rejoice! Your favorite cookie just got a lot more festive, if only for a day.

2. Classic Kahlua Cocktail
Like coffee, just a lot more fun. Just keep yourself from getting totally eclipsed, you know?

3. Moon Cookies
Somehow, these aren't made of cheese.

4. Galaxy Cupcakes
Galaxy food, you are needed now more than ever. Also this frosting might turn your teeth blue, but it's for ~science~.

5. Black Magic Cocktail
Please don't get "all-black cocktail" and "blackout cocktail" confused.

6. Chocolate Coconut Macarons
We're 'nuts for this recipe.

7. Moon Pies
Come on. How can you not eat a Moon Pie during an eclipse?

8. Eclipse Cookies
If this is what science class was like in school, I would have done a lot better.

9. Galaxy Cookies
My love for these pretty cookies burns brighter than the sun.

10. Blackberry Moonshine
It'll still make you feel rebellious.

11. Stacked Oreo Cheesecake
Ok, so the eclipse is really just an excuse to eat cheesecake

#5 2017-08-21 16:54:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Did not notice any real dimming of the sun as the eclispe occured and only took a brief few momments to use a square of welding glass to view the crescent moons shape as it crossed in front of the sun.

So when is the next to be seens is The next eclipses and where to see them

33 SLIDES Chasing the eclipses

NASA's Images of the 2017 Eclipse

8 SLIDES

#6 2017-08-22 19:22:25

GW Johnson
Website

Where I live,  the eclipse was around 70% area coverage partial.  I noticed a distinct lack of radiant skin heating.  The air only cooled a degree or two,  by my front porch thermometer.  I'm waiting for April 8,  2024,  when totality passes over my house. 

My welding hood and glasses were inappropriate to solar brightness.  So we did the pinhole "camera" thing as a small hole in a 3x5 card held about a yard from a sheet of white paper on a clipboard.  It worked,  just like it always does.  Digital phone camera shots of this didn't pan out very good,  because the brightness of the reflection from the unshadowed part of the paper messed up the camera's automatic irising for overall image brightness. 

What was just as effective and a whole lot more startling was the images cast amongst the shadows by the effective pinholes through the leaves of bushes and trees.  My wife didn't believe it until I showed it to her.  Almost all our bushes and trees casting shadows onto truly flat surfaces showed images of the eclipsed sun at one or another level of focus quality. 

Our best photos came from this effect where front porch bushes cast shadows and images onto the flat concrete slab of my front porch,  which is south-facing.  You pick the one of many images that looks best-focused,  and watch that.  Easy as pie,  and very,  very safe for the eyes. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#7 2023-06-10 17:35:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

#8 2023-12-31 17:48:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

April 8, 2024,  New Hampshire 100 days away from first total solar eclipse since 1959

The totality path will cross northern Vermont (including Burlington), southern Canada (including Montreal), northern New Hampshire and a large swath of northern Maine.

New Hampshire communities along the path include Lancaster, Stark, Northumberland, Milan, Dummer, Errol, Dixville Notch and Pittsburg.

Totality will last about 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

The peak in New Hampshire will be about 3:30 p.m. For the rest of the state, the sun will be obscured by 95% or more at the peak.

In 56 years, on May 1, 2079, New Hampshire will experience totality again.

BB12kjyx.img?w=768&h=432&m=6

Board footer