New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-02-23 00:08:44

RobertDyck
Website

NASA Telescope Reveals Largest Batch of Earth-Size, Habitable-Zone Pla

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet.
NASA Telescope Reveals Largest Batch of Earth-Size, Habitable-Zone Planets Around Single Star

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

5_lineup_pia21422-png.png?itok=kV5k5sCt

Do we have to watch for a rag-tag fleet of spaceships looking for Earth, running from Cylons?

#2 2017-02-23 05:14:51

louis

Re: NASA Telescope Reveals Largest Batch of Earth-Size, Habitable-Zone Pla

Certainly is fascinating to know such worlds exist. They seem so common - it leads one to ask why aliens aren't all around us...or are they?  Advanced civilisations would probably adopt an ethical policy of not interfering in our development, just as advance cultures on Earth now leave isolated tribes alone, knowing that contact is deadly for them  both physically and culturally.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2017-02-23 05:35:30

elderflower

The Trappists are making no comments.

#4 2017-02-23 05:53:14

RGClark
Website

Conspiracy alert!

Was Google able to come up with this doodle so quickly in less than a day or were they clued in beforehand?

seven-earth-size-exoplanets-discovered-6423181526040576.2-hp2x.gif

Bob Clark  ;-)

Last edited by RGClark (2017-02-23 05:57:15)

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#5 2017-02-23 14:17:26

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Here are some names that might prove appropriate for these planets:
Friedrich
Liesl
Louisa
Kurt
Brigitta
Marta
Gretl
Would you like to guess where I got these names from?

#6 2017-02-23 17:41:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

The trouble with this discovery is "This cluster of planets is less than 40 light-years away in the constellation Aquarius" which is even farther away than the closest of planets that are Earth size.  Three are in the so-called habitable zone, the area around a star where water and, possibly life, might exist. Gillon and his team used both ground and space telescopes to identify and track the seven Trappist-1 planets, which they label simply by lowercase letters, "b'' through "h." As is typical in these cases, the letter "A'' — in upper case — is reserved for the star.

#7 2017-02-23 18:03:38

RobertDyck
Website

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Age of Aquarius
Aquarius
Aquarius

Perhaps the sons and daughters of Kobol living on the twelve colonies will accept their lost brethren of Earth.
Have I mixed up enough mythology?

#8 2017-02-24 07:50:10

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

if you want to go live in a fish tank called "Aquarius" than go right ahead! wink I remember the movie Hair because it showed a long haired man urinating in a public park, that was a big turn off to me. I lose sympathy for the character right away if he thinks he can act like a caveman in a public square, it is also disrespectful to the other people using the part to see a man urinating out in the open. People paid for that park, they don't need to see a hairy dude acting like an animal! I thought the song was kind of cool, until I saw the movie that went with it. I think of 1969 as the year man first landed on the Moon, but other people think of Woodstock as their significant event, with people jumping over fences, getting drunk, getting high, and puking all over the place, and leaving trash and garbage in their wake, as a kid, I often wondered what's so great about that?

When I first became aware of the Apollo moon landing they were all over with, I saw some pictures on a barbershop wall. I often wonder why the cancelled the Moon program, was it because they would rather spend the money to get high? Those crazy hippies would rather to that than colonize space? So I really have mixed feelings about the so called "Age of Aquarius".

#9 2017-02-24 08:25:20

Terraformer
Website

RobertDyck wrote:

Perhaps the sons and daughters of Kolob living on the twelve colonies will accept their lost brethren of Earth.
Have I mixed up enough mythology?

There, that should be mixed up enough.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#10 2017-02-25 15:43:08

GW Johnson
Website

Tom does try to politicize everything,  doesn't he?  There was no need for that. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#11 2017-02-25 16:25:40

RobertDyck
Website

Where my humorous posts too vague? References to "Cylons" and "12 colonies" and "Kobol" are all from the TV show "Battlestar Galactica". The phrase "rag-tag feet" is from the closing sequence of the original 1970s version. Robert Zubrin used the name "Battlestar" to refer to NASA's 90-Day Report, so I thought members here would recognize it.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2017-02-25 17:37:38)

#12 2017-02-25 16:55:18

GW Johnson
Website

No, Robert,  I wasn't talking about that stuff,  I was talking about the weird rant in post #8 about hippies urinating in parks.

Myself,  not only do I remember when "Battlestar Galactica" was a network TV show in 1978,  and "Star Trek" in 1966,  but also "Rocky Jones and the Space Rangers" in 1956.  Real life heroes in the news at that time were folk like Yeager,  Crossfield,  and some others flying things like X-1E and D-558-2,  and the X-2 as well. 

One of my favorite episodes of that last was a multipart episode with a lead role by one John Banner,  who a decade later was Sgt Schultz in "Hogan's Heroes".  In "Rocky Jones"  he was the leader of a nation on one planet of a twin planet system that was destroyed in a planetary collision and had to migrate to the other one.  Pretty good stuff for 1956. 

GW

edit 3-1-17: 

I found the old Rocky Jones TV episodes on Youtube,  and have been watching them again for the first time in about 60 years!  They are as good (and as bad) as I remember.  I was actually able to read the copyright dates in spite of deteriorated source recording quaity:  this was on network television as 39 contracted 26-minute episodes during the 1953-1954 season.  I do remember watching it then,  and in re-runs for about 3 or 4 years afterwards.  I also remember watching "Victory at Sea" as a network television series back then,  as well.

The moon collision episode I cited above was actually a 3-episode story arc.  It was entitled "Clash of Moons,  chapters I,  II,  and III".  Even then,  John Banner looked like a plump German,  and sounded like one,  too.  Sergeant Schultz was another perfect role for him. Banner also appeared earlier in another 3-episode Rocky Jones story arc about those same moons,  as the same character.  That I really didn't remember,  until I saw it again.

Last edited by GW Johnson (2017-03-01 16:14:30)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

Board footer