New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2017-02-14 12:22:19

Void

Psychology of Life Support, the mother load.

One thing I have noticed here is that the clients seem to be locked into a recycle mentality.

This is understandable for the fact that recycling can solve many repetitive issues, such as breathing, drinking water, and eating in places where life has slim to no chances.

It is not linear thinking however.  It has it's place, but it gets in the way of obtaining license to live in a new frontier.

The ultimate "Load" on Mars or Venus will be to make both planets serve our purposes.  "Our" signifying patterns of intention which may exist beyond our own existence.  Although some of us may participate directly in the future events, the patterns we set in motion are what matter more.

This I am afraid is the Masculine at it's best, just as the Mother of a child is likely to be the best.

Going from point "A" to point "B".

There is the expansion of our realities and there is the preservation of our realities.  Both matter, and cannot be dispensed with.

Here I think I see the "Mother Load" for Mars.

The resistance to this is further evidence of your problem:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7592

Your problem is being circular. 

The above is it seems the basement of biology, and what is needed is a soup of chemicals, some minimal pressurization and electricity, and you can have massive abundance.  But you don't seem to grasp the notion.

You solve the electric life problem, and how to most effectively harness the energy of Mars, and Mars is yours.

Last edited by Void (2017-02-14 12:34:36)

Done.

#2 2017-02-14 19:38:00

louis

Re: Psychology of Life Support, the mother load.

1.  Food has to be palatable. Life has to be palatable. Humans aren't machines.  There may come a time when we can manufacture food directly but I think for the moment we need to replicate mostly Earth food stuffs.

2. I agree sometimes people do seem to get locked in to "recycling" thinking. There is no  reason for either the transit vehicle of the settlements on Mars to be closed systems like the Biosphere experiments - that will just create problems. Also, because the initial colony will be tiny (compared at least with the 6 plus billion of us on Earth), they will live in abundance in terms of the basics of life.  There will be an abundance of energy, an abundance of water and an abundance of food.

Void wrote:

One thing I have noticed here is that the clients seem to be locked into a recycle mentality.

This is understandable for the fact that recycling can solve many repetitive issues, such as breathing, drinking water, and eating in places where life has slim to no chances.

It is not linear thinking however.  It has it's place, but it gets in the way of obtaining license to live in a new frontier.

The ultimate "Load" on Mars or Venus will be to make both planets serve our purposes.  "Our" signifying patterns of intention which may exist beyond our own existence.  Although some of us may participate directly in the future events, the patterns we set in motion are what matter more.

This I am afraid is the Masculine at it's best, just as the Mother of a child is likely to be the best.

Going from point "A" to point "B".

There is the expansion of our realities and there is the preservation of our realities.  Both matter, and cannot be dispensed with.

Here I think I see the "Mother Load" for Mars.

The resistance to this is further evidence of your problem:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7592

Your problem is being circular. 

The above is it seems the basement of biology, and what is needed is a soup of chemicals, some minimal pressurization and electricity, and you can have massive abundance.  But you don't seem to grasp the notion.

You solve the electric life problem, and how to most effectively harness the energy of Mars, and Mars is yours.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2017-02-14 22:02:54

Void

Well Louis, your view is reasonable.

I am however looking at it inside out.

Terraforming Surrounds
Bulk Chemistry Surrounds
Human Needs

Typically we are looking at a tin can, and how to recycle within it.

I see a wonderful world where Carbon comes to you from the atmosphere in abundance, Nitrogen is available, and many places in the ground have abundant water.

I have pushed around some ideas for energy, but don't be mistaken.  I would take the best few ideas, weather I had championed them or you or someone else.

The point I do make is that if you find a set of most effective ways to harness energy, then you make organic materials in massive amounts with electricity, and the chemicals available on Mars.

If you have that then you have riches.   If you are rich on Mars and you want carrots, or chicken eggs, you sure can do that.
But the other way around, trying to get rich off of carrots and chicken eggs on Mars seems rather unlikely I think you will agree.

Done.

#4 2017-02-15 05:48:08

louis

As always with any Mars question I think you need to specify your place on the timeline. Are you talking early colony (say up to 10,000 people), or establised colony (say 10,000 to a million) or long term stable colony (say anywhere between one million and a billion)?

If we are talking early colony, energy is simply not an issue - we can import PV panels, methane manufacturing equipment, RTGs and nuclear reactors. There will be huge amounts of energy per person, not least because we will have to build in redundancy to ensure failsafe systems.  Once a sizeable colony has been established, the colony itself will be able to build heliostats or similar , concentrating solar radation on to boilers to generate hot water and steam power (and thus electricity). I would think that would be good for a colony up to one million. By then the colony should be able to build PV panels from scratch.

Void wrote:

Well Louis, your view is reasonable.

I am however looking at it inside out.

Terraforming Surrounds
Bulk Chemistry Surrounds
Human Needs

Typically we are looking at a tin can, and how to recycle within it.

I see a wonderful world where Carbon comes to you from the atmosphere in abundance, Nitrogen is available, and many places in the ground have abundant water.

I have pushed around some ideas for energy, but don't be mistaken.  I would take the best few ideas, weather I had championed them or you or someone else.

The point I do make is that if you find a set of most effective ways to harness energy, then you make organic materials in massive amounts with electricity, and the chemicals available on Mars.

If you have that then you have riches.   If you are rich on Mars and you want carrots, or chicken eggs, you sure can do that.
But the other way around, trying to get rich off of carrots and chicken eggs on Mars seems rather unlikely I think you will agree.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2017-02-15 11:34:56

Void

Well, we likely rule out the Moon as an early place of large human habitation.  I do still support a largely robotic effort on the Moon.

For Mars, we evaluate it's potential, before we travel such a distance to try to set up a human process.  I think it's long term potential is rather good.

So then I justify the early short term effort.  But as soon as you are there and can with economic intelligence, attain use of massive resources with in-situ methods, then yes do that.

You are right though we often get at cross purposes because of our window view of what we are after.

Of course the tin cans come first Major Tom.  And you can only pack so much in a tin can.  So a frugal mentality is wise for the start, but as soon as you are beyond that then start opening the throttle wide open as far as I am concerned.

Done.

Board footer