New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-10-11 12:30:54

Void

Blue Energy.

This section states that it does not have to be about Mars.  It is however, but is also is about Earth, so, fine.

This is a generalize post, about how to use several methods to use salt content variations in more than one water based brine, to store/extract energy.  It also touches on CO2/H20 solutions for similar actions.  I like it.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015061 … lectricity

And here is a car that is said to run off of two different types of salt solution.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … roads.html

I think it should be interesting information for two planets, Earth and Mars.

As for the Earth, it appears that while my continent will be hydrocarbon oriented for some time more, the Europeans, may have hit a big win for themselves.  Necessity is the mother of invention.

As for Mars, I would think that dealing with brines and CO2/H20 solutions where you may store power and then extract it on time of desire would have to be attractive.

Enough,  Done.

Last edited by Void (2016-10-11 12:40:31)

Done.

#2 2016-10-11 14:35:23

louis

Re: Blue Energy.

Interesting. Even though these are expensive technologies, that is pretty irrelevant when it comes to a multi-billion dollar colonisation project - they won't be competing with pre-existing fossil fuels (at least, that seems unlikely). They may well have a role to play in the early colony.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2016-10-11 16:35:54

Void

Re: Blue Energy.

Louis,

Thanks for the reply.

It is possible that the expense will go down with further research & development, for Earth.  Also, it is possible that Peter Zeihan will be correct that in time the North American market will maintain low hydrocarbon prices, while the rest of the world suffers from more market than supply.  Time will tell.
In such a case as that I can see that Europe and it adjacent neighbors are very well poised for salt based flow battery energy.  Perhaps the best occurring arrangement for it in the world.  An arid and semi-arid south, and in north-west Europe a great abundance of fresh water.  And unlike other alternative energy, salt flow battery power would be much more responsive to demand, and not as locked into sunshine and wind intermittency.

As for Mars, storing electricity in batteries, or as hydrocarbon and Oxygen, would be much harder I think than just storing tanks of brines, or (Ice covered pools of brines).

As for CO2, at one time I wanted to explore a turbine based on boiling CO2 out of a solution of water(Briny or fresh) and CO2.  It seems the turbine is not required, just a flow battery or that capacitor method.

But yes, it is all generalized, and not mature yet.

As for solar power, I am in favor of having at least some part of it supplied by solar cells, but I am really tempted to find out what kinds of more simple technology could be implemented by for instance trying to make machine parts out of basalt.

And I know you have some type of interest in basalt, actually I think prior to my own.  The moon I am howling at in this case, is I am hoping that the art of it will eventually become so good, that mirrors of basalt can be made.  Probably with metalized surfaces.  Still working on it.  Machine parts from basalt. A ceramic type materials, currently not as strong as glass, but we shall seen in the future.  NASA is working on 3D printing basalt, and I am speculating that eventually adding layers/fibers of other materials may increase it's strength.

Not there yet, but speculating on a machine where the Mirror is balanced on a semi-hemispheric "Foot".  Maybe a bit like a rocking horse, but with the ability to pivot.  An alternative would be such a ball foot on the mirror part, and a pedestal with a bowl that it sits in.  A lubricant would likely be required in that case.  It is all highly speculative.

And I am thinking that instead of each heliostat having a motor and pointing device, a robot would travel about rapidly on the ground, and repoint a multitude of these things.

If not, then a regular power tower with metal highly sophisticated heliostats, or also it is possible to do the freeze thaw thing per elderflower, and distilling water.

This is pretty much goof off and speculation, but you have to start with the coarse adjustments in the beginning, and the fine tuning later.  Some have trouble with that.

Interesting. Even though these are expensive technologies, that is pretty irrelevant when it comes to a multi-billion dollar colonisation project - they won't be competing with pre-existing fossil fuels (at least, that seems unlikely). They may well have a role to play in the early colony.

Last edited by Void (2016-10-11 17:43:52)

Done.

Board footer