New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2016-10-06 16:27:01

Terraformer
Website

Minimal stable terraformed atmosphere

According to Zubrin and McKay (cited by Fogg), a CO2 atmosphere of ~60mb would warm the poles sufficiently to avoid condensing back as dry ice. Unfortunately, there isn't anywhere near enough CO2 on the poles to do that.

However, when looking at the Wiki article for the Martian poles, I found this, from 2011 - NASA Spacecraft Reveals Dramatic Changes In Mars' Atmosphere

Collapse pits caused by dry ice sublimation and other clues suggest the deposit is in a dissipating phase, adding gas to the atmosphere each year.

However, it doesn't mention what is happening to the CO2 afterwards. If it is remaining in the atmosphere, rather than re-condensing, could it be vaporised by the use of a solar mirror to give an average pressure of ~12mb?

Also, flipping to the appropriate page in my terraforming book, to sustain this would require an increase of 2 deg. K in the south polar temperature, meaning an increase of 7e12 W of power delivered to it. That means - using Zubrins figure - a mirror of radius ~80km.

On the other hand, if the result of vaporising the CO2 on the cap was to make it darker, this could perhaps be dispensed with? Also, there may be other effects that would keep the poles warm? Could we even use it as a weather machine, to whip up a darkening dust storm...? tongue

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2016-10-06 18:07:52

Void

Re: Minimal stable terraformed atmosphere

Hmm...
Don't know enough.  I am tempted to want to start at easy, at the equator, or as close as possible, then move towards the poles with appropriate weapons.

But, do we have what is needed?

My wish would be that we attack from all angles.  Greenhouse gasses, as far as that can go.

But if fusion can happen, then melt some seas at the poles.  Have cities powered by the process.  As far as albedo, insulation, and evaporation, what machines could help us with that?

Granted, you could attempt to capture the summer solar energy and embed it into the H20 below a layer of ice.  Or and else you might use fission/fusion.

But melting polar ice caps, and the ice around them, will be unstable until they find a new stability.  Not the ultimate easy.  We want the ultimate easy if we can find it.

Now back to Albedo, insulation, and evaporation.  Yes maybe we could manufacture (The we being those who follow), many devices which facilitate that.  Question is would it get anyone anything?

I am not sure yet.  I don't care to waste time.  Mine, or anyone else's.

Done.

Board footer