New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-12-31 21:06:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tomato

You say tomatoe and I say tomato...a nice topping to have in our salad but if I want a burger its got have ketchup.....

Now some will want their fries with vinegar but others will want .....that sauce.....ketchup....

Any way the topic is the same just the players have changed....we have big ones, small sized with red and green
Some make excellant relish and even can be used in many ways...

Growing Tomatoes

717-1.jpg

http://www.gardenguides.com/107661-stag … rowth.html

#2 2016-01-01 12:50:14

Void

Re: Tomato

The usefulness of this reply is questionable, but at one time in the past, I grew tomatoes in milk jugs, where I cut the tops off.  I filled these with small amounts of soil and Styrofoam particles and water, and added a fertilizer liquid.

I believe that that situation delivers a lot of Oxygen to the roots.  It also however allows the plants to dry out fast, if you don't keep the water level up.

Still I fastened them to a wire fence, and did grow Tomatoes quite nicely.  It did not seem to hurt the roots that light was getting through the bottle wall, and algae was growing.  As I said it seemed to work fine within the limiting factor of drying out in a few days.  That was inconvenient if I was going out of town.

Not sure if it was true hydroponic or not since I was using some soil mixed in with the Styrofoam, and water mix along with the nutrient solution.

However a point I will make is that sometimes, when another crop is small and not using all of the sunlight in the greenhouse, you might be able to hang something like this in your greenhouse somehow, and attempt to increase the efficiency of the use of photons.  This would make sense, because for every photon delivered into a greenhouse, significant costs in effort are incurred.  Wasting such photons, would be a poor practice I believe.

Last edited by Void (2016-01-01 12:51:30)

Done.

#3 2016-01-01 23:12:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have seen them started that way indoors to allow for transplanting later once the weather gets warmer.

Some crops will lend to hydroponics more easily while other will only take in the soil.

So which plants will fall into each category would be also something to figure out to get to a common mass for growing the food we need.

#4 2016-01-02 22:22:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

tomato seed planting info

• Seed Depth Soil Temp. for Germination Days to Germination Sunlight Requirements Planting Time
    1/4 to 1/2"  80 F to 85 F    7 to 14 days                          Full Sun                     Spring
    USDA Hardiness Zone Seed Spacing Row Spacing Space After Thinning Days to Harvest
    N/A                         1"                48"                       48"                60 - 90 days

http://www.progardenmasters.com/article … rmination/

This table can be used for other crops...
http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/cobb/ … MENTS2.pdf

http://www.tomatodirt.com/harvesting-tomatoes.html

start picking about 60-85 days after planting seedlings in the garden.
other types that we could plant:
Sub Arctic Plenty (45 days to harvest; 3 to 4 ounces; fruit concentrated in center clusters; determinate)

Early Cascade (55 days; 4 ounces; trailing plant, large fruit clusters; indeterminate; resistant to VF)

Early Girl (54 days; 5 ounces; earliest full size; indeterminate; resistant to V)

Quick Pick (60 days; 4 ounces; round, smooth, heavy yield; indeterminate; resistant to VFNTA)

#5 2016-01-23 19:26:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

#6 2018-12-08 20:56:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well topic still is quite thin but Can Mars light grow Tomatoes

We are counting on the ability to sustain man on mars.

#7 2023-12-24 03:37:59

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA reveals what 2 tomatoes look like after being lost in space for 8 months.

https://www.space.com/nasa-internationa … hoto-video

"Other than some discoloration, it had no visible microbial or fungal growth."

Board footer