New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2013-02-20 11:31:52

Rusakov
Banned

Recent superconductor news and it's importance in terraforming

There has been some recent news about a superconducting material that can work at temperatures as high as 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit).

http://www.superconductors.org/35C_sil.htm

Why is this important for Martian terraforming? Consider Mars' lack of a magnetic field, now imagine superconducting cables powered by solar or Areothermal energy which are buried under the surface and oriented like lines of latitude. When powered up, they could form a magnetic field that could keep a Martian atmosphere in place.

A more technical description can be found here (PDF warning).

SWAT Kats fanatic

#2 2013-02-21 00:37:25

Void

Re: Recent superconductor news and it's importance in terraforming

Well, a plan is a plan, which is better than none.

I have to say that opposing the force of the solar wind will be a daunting task.  I don't say that to be a jerk.  I wonder if we could turn the solar winds force against itself?  Pull it's energy and turn it against itself.  I don't have a plan, but I have a desire.

Done.

#3 2013-03-24 16:11:53

sanman
Banned

What's the main importance of having a magnetic field again? I thought it's mainly to stop the solar wind, but of course this only erodes the atmosphere on geologic timescales. When it comes to protection against cosmic rays, isn't simply having a thick atmosphere good enough?

#4 2013-03-26 05:30:15

karov

sanman wrote:

What's the main importance of having a magnetic field again? I thought it's mainly to stop the solar wind, but of course this only erodes the atmosphere on geologic timescales. When it comes to protection against cosmic rays, isn't simply having a thick atmosphere good enough?

Yes it is. Magfield is luxury.

#5 2013-03-26 16:25:26

Void

Agreed, a planet capable of suporting a civilization for 100,000 years offers far more than what the human race has been supposed to have used so far as a technological creature or collection of creatures.

And if you can reboot that with smaller solar system objects, then yes, a magnetic field is a luxury.

Done.

#6 2013-03-26 17:36:50

RobertDyck
Website

I have suggested restarting the dynamo in the planets core. Assuming Mars still has a liquid core, orient the electro-magnets to create a magnetic pulse that circles the planet. The idea is to induce a current in the liquid iron core. And use that to organize convection cells in the outer core. That would leverage power, utilizing the core of the planet itelf as the primary power for the magnetic field.

Last time I attended at talk about Mars core was LPSSC in 2005. That's a number of years ago, but at that time geologists argued loudly whether the core is liquid or not. My conclusion was we need more data. NASA's InSight probe will be the next one; it'll answer that question.

Technology question: I've read about these guys claims about room temperature superconductors. Why haven't the mainstream media reported it? Can the claimes be believed? Room temperature superconductors, or better yet, conductors that can withstand outdoor temperature on a summer day, can be used for long distance power transmission. That would eliminate power power transmission loss, making power utilities on Earth far more efficient! So why is this so hidden?

Board footer