New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-08 09:29:05

BWhite

Re: New Spanish law to require - that men do housework

http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article … c=rss]Link

Spanish men will have to learn to change nappies and don washing-up gloves under the terms of a new law designed to strike a blow at centuries of Latin machismo.

The law, due to be passed this month, is likely to provoke a revolution in family affairs in a country where 40% of men reportedly do no housework at all. It will oblige men to "share domestic responsibilities and the care and attention" of children and elderly family members, according to the draft approved by the Spanish parliament's justice commission.

This will become part of the marriage contract at civil wedding ceremonies later this year.

Edited By BWhite on 1112974209

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#2 2005-04-08 09:43:42

Cobra Commander

Link won't load.

So... what? Can a guy be arrested for not doing the dishes? And if they're going to start legislating that men do things that women want, is there a law on the way that says women must . . .

Nip that thought off.  big_smile

But seriously, how do they expect to go about enforcing something like this without it becoming a farce? And if they don't but are just trying to make a point, that kind of undermines the entire basis of law.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2005-04-08 09:58:32

BWhite

Ah the Spanish! I blame al Qaeda.  big_smile

I suspect the link is getting buried in hits. I just loaded it 4 times in a row but a few were very slow.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#4 2005-04-08 12:59:45

Ian Flint
Banned

But seriously, how do they expect to go about enforcing something like this without it becoming a farce? And if they don't but are just trying to make a point, that kind of undermines the entire basis of law.

Here's the answer.

Failure to meet the obligations will be taken into consideration by judges when determining the terms of divorces. Men who refuse to do their part may be given less frequent contact with their children.

If I understand U.S. law correctly, it will be like unfaithful spouses.  In a divorce, if a spouse has been sleeping around he/she gets less custody/visitation to the children, right?  Sounds fair and enforceable to me, if the govt. only steps in during a divorce.

#5 2005-04-08 23:39:49

Trebuchet
Banned

In other words, a largely toothless and pointless law. I've seen governments create some amazingly dumb, pointless, stupid, and/or insane laws, and this one is up with a few others at the top of 'dumb'.

#6 2005-04-09 08:01:19

Cobra Commander

If I understand U.S. law correctly, it will be like unfaithful spouses.  In a divorce, if a spouse has been sleeping around he/she gets less custody/visitation to the children, right?  Sounds fair and enforceable to me, if the govt. only steps in during a divorce.

As I've argued before, IMHO government has no business being involved at all. Once it became accepted that you need a license from the government to get married we set off down bad road. The history behind that is actually somewhat interesting, if convoluted.

But on a specific note, in many states whether one spouse has been unfaithful is not a factor in custody, or even property division for that matter. The court isn't interested in "punishing" behavior or even securing the well-being of children, it's just a division of assets.

In other words, a largely toothless and pointless law. I've seen governments create some amazingly dumb, pointless, stupid, and/or insane laws, and this one is up with a few others at the top of 'dumb'.

Exactly, and every time a stupid law is enacted it undermines law in general. Unfortunately there is a mindset today that every problem can be solved by legislation, it's a profoundly ignorant position.

As I've said before, law is not a solution to problems.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#7 2023-10-22 17:24:28

Mars_B4_Moon

an old thread worth a bump maybe, family trouble and crimes

partner related violence, this time legal enforcement became the victim

Man shoots, kills Maryland judge the day he granted his wife custody of suspect's children
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/cr … f1bbe3ac98
The judge was shot in his driveway Thursday evening while his wife and son were home and just hours after he ruled against the suspect in a divorce case.

Musk's Martian Dreams: How SpaceX Plans to Build Cities on Mars
https://www.tomorrow.bio/post/musk-s-ma … 6020-space

Ensuring Human Health and Safety on Mars

A Martian colony would be a challenging place to live. The lack of Earth-like conditions could have a significant impact on human health, leading to numerous physiological and psychological challenges. For example, the low gravity on Mars could lead to muscle and bone loss, while the lack of a natural day/night cycle could disrupt sleep patterns and lead to other health problems.

To ensure the health and safety of colonists on Mars, SpaceX must develop systems that can mitigate these risks and keep colonists safe and healthy. This may include developing new medical technologies that can diagnose and treat illnesses in a Martian environment, as well as new systems for monitoring and maintaining the physical and mental health of colonists.

#8 2023-10-22 17:43:13

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon ... thanks for bringing this old topic back for a refresh ...

It would be interesting (to me for sure) if a member were to follow up on the original post, to see what the effects of the new law might be in Spain.

Regarding the link you provided to an article about Musk and Mars ...

Ensuring Human Health and Safety on Mars
A Martian colony would be a challenging place to live. The lack of Earth-like conditions could have a significant impact on human health, leading to numerous physiological and psychological challenges. For example, the low gravity on Mars could lead to muscle and bone loss, while the lack of a natural day/night cycle could disrupt sleep patterns and lead to other health problems.

I wonder what the author of this piece is thinking about?  The day on Mars is almost identical to the day on Earth.  I doubt anyone will notice the difference, because the second will be longer by a tiny fraction, and all the other time increments will be identical to Earth.

The Martian Calendar topic has been following Mars for a couple of full Mars years by now, and I just don't see any difference worth worrying about. 

(th)

Board footer