New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-03 09:37:18

Ian Flint
Banned

Re: Diabetes - Just been diagnosed.

Well, I was up half the night at the hospital with my 4 year old daughter.

She has type 1 diabetes.

#2 2005-02-03 09:41:34

clark

Sorry to hear that.  sad

Is it reversible? I would imagine that you have learned a great deal about diabetes, and I myself know very little hard facts.

I do notice though that medical science is making some remarkable breakthroughs in dealing with the various types, but again, am unsure about the difference in types.

#3 2005-02-03 09:42:01

Palomar

*Sorry to hear it, Ian. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2005-02-03 09:51:42

Palomar

*Sorry...had to get off the computer for a moment.

I take it she's been hospitalized?  Or was it a long emergency room visit "only" and she's home again? 

Juvenile diabetes is a serious thing, as you no doubt already know.  Will have to follow doctor's orders regarding diet and etc. religiously.  :-\ 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2005-02-03 18:37:58

Shaun Barrett

Damn!   :bars:
    It's bad enough, all the suffering adults go through in this world. But it always seems so much worse when a little child has to go through it.
    Ian, there's not much any of us can do to ease your concern, except to relay our sympathy.
                                                sad

On a brighter note, I think Clark is quite right that medical advances are going to make a difference in the area of diabetes - hopefully, sooner than we realize.
                                                      :up:   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2005-02-04 05:18:29

ERRORIST

University Of Miami does a lot of research in this area and if a cure is ever found it may come from here.

#7 2005-02-04 19:56:22

Grypd

I hope Ian that you and yours have the best and that this symptom will be able to be cured or at least treated by medicine.

And since the majority of type 1 diabetes is very treatable and since I have a friend who had it I hope your bairn goes with the majority.

My friend never found it an impedement on his life or in enjoying his childhood in case you need an example of this.

Wish you the best, Grypd

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#8 2005-02-04 20:12:17

ERRORIST

Perhaps this can help your child somehow?

http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1 … -3,00.html

#9 2005-02-04 23:47:20

Ian Flint
Banned

Thanks everybody.  I just got back from Denver.  They have a good research facility there also.  My head is still spinning from all the info they threw at me.

It's bad enough, all the suffering adults go through in this world. But it always seems so much worse when a little child has to go through it.

You said it, man.  It's a freakin' life long desease!
:bars:  doesn't come close to expressing how I feel.  It's more like  :bars2:  :angry:  :realllymad:

#10 2005-02-05 01:29:05

Rxke

Awful news, Ian...

despite medicine improving on diabetes on quite a clippy pace, it still is no fun at all to be diagnosed with it...
Even it is one of the so-called 'big opportunity' diseases, as the pharmaceutical industry so heartlessly call it (i.e.: when you come up with a good treatment you earn lotsa $$$ in the western world...) so you can be 'assured' there is quite good treatment/quality of life etc. either already on the market, or in the pipeline... It still *is* your kid being sick, something making you to lay awake at night...

Must be heart-breaking.
I wish you and your family much strenghth.

#11 2005-02-07 04:10:13

Dook
Banned

Very sorry to hear about that.  I have a childhood friend who has had type 1 since he was that age.  Over the years I've seen him get two shots a day, I even gave him one once, and I've witnessed a few reactions.

Make sure she takes care of herself and follows the doctors recommendations.  My friend would sneak candy behind his parents back when he was young then he got into drugs and started smoking at age 17.  Now aged 39 because of the poor blood circulation caused by the disease, not helped by his bad habits, he's lost half of his teeth and his eyesight is so bad that glasses can't bring it back to 20/20.

I know some day in the future we will be able to cure/prevent all genetic diseases.

#12 2005-02-07 04:23:01

Dook
Banned

Sorry to hear that.  sad

Is it reversible? I would imagine that you have learned a great deal about diabetes, and I myself know very little hard facts.

I do notice though that medical science is making some remarkable breakthroughs in dealing with the various types, but again, am unsure about the difference in types.

From what I remember Type 1 is an immune disorder.  Something (bacteria?) triggers a person's immune system to attack certain cells.  The cells that produce insulin in the pancreas are very similar to the cells the immune system is then trained to attack so it kills them.  That's why you can't just get a new pancreas.  Without insulin the body cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood stream so it fluctuates wildly. 

I don't know if they've discovered what initially triggers the immune system and trains it to attack the insulin creating cells.  Genetics definately plays a role since it follows families but the confusing thing is that immune systems are very diverse.  So much so that there likely has never been or never will be another person who's immune system is exactly like yours.  Still they have a great deal of commonality because we are exposed to the same virus/bacteria.

#13 2005-02-07 13:37:46

Ian Flint
Banned

Thanks for explaining type 1 to clark, Dook, I just didn't feel like doing it.   sad

Oh, and SHUT UP about the negative crap, man!  It's hard enough watching her cry every time we stick her with that damned needle.

Minimum of 4 finger pricks per day to check blood sugar levels.
Minimum of 2 shots of insulin per day.

Did I mention this sucks?

#14 2005-02-07 13:39:51

Ian Flint
Banned

Hey Dook, don't take that personally.  You just looked like a good punching bag.  I have to lash out at someone, right?  big_smile

#15 2005-02-07 13:42:35

BWhite

Ian, you have my best wishes.

Other than that, its hard to know what to say.

After some limited google searches, it appears that with careful management your child can look forward to a long and healthy life, although burdened by the need for constant watchfulness.

Good luck, and if knowing people are pulling for you is a help, well I am pulling for you and your family.

I wish you peace. And strength.

= = =

Does it suck?  Yes.   ???

Edited By BWhite on 1107805451

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#16 2005-02-07 13:55:10

Palomar

Minimum of 4 finger pricks per day to check blood sugar levels.
Minimum of 2 shots of insulin per day.

*I've not done a lot of work in endocrinology, but I have heard of insulin *patches* (non-invasive/painless).  Also, you might want to ask your physician about the OneTouch Ultra Blood Glucose Monitoring System, if he/she hasn't already mentioned it.  Apparently OneTouch is a heckuva lot less painless.

The closest personal experience with diabetes I've had was an uncle by marriage (type 2 diabetic). 

I have known one person with juvenile (type 1) diabetes who managed to live a fairly active lifestyle, was a celebrated Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman, had a happy marriage and two relatively healthy daughters (though the youngest has gone on to develop type 2 diabetes, last I heard).  He was bouncy, full of energy, took life by the tail; yes, he was sometimes down and ill, but surely an inspiration to diabetics and non-diabetics alike.

--Cindy

#17 2005-02-07 13:56:48

Cobra Commander

Well, I didn't think "that sucks" was really a fitting sentiment, but it seems to be making the rounds.

I'm sorry to hear it and can only offer my hope that your daughter can adjust to it with minimal difficulty. I mean, what else can you do?  ???

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#18 2005-02-07 14:07:48

Ian Flint
Banned

Thanks, Cindy.

I've read about a lot of alternatives to needles, and I'm sure she'll switch someday.  You know, my wife and I have practiced on eachother and it doesn't hurt at all.  But, she's a kid and it scares her anyway.

#19 2005-02-07 14:50:10

Dook
Banned

Considering how poorly my diabetic friend chose to live (he was also homeless and lived in his cadillac parked in a parking lot for about 6 months) losing some teeth and poor eyesight at age 39 is not bad at all.  Most diabetics who take care of themselves live perfectly normal lives.

#20 2005-02-07 17:17:37

Palomar

Thanks, Cindy.

I've read about a lot of alternatives to needles, and I'm sure she'll switch someday.  You know, my wife and I have practiced on eachother and it doesn't hurt at all.  But, she's a kid and it scares her anyway.

*Oh yes, I can imagine.  sad  Years ago I worked near a phlebotomy station.  Most of the children cried (at least...some also screamed), no matter how soothing and comforting their surroundings were made for them, nor how gentle and reassuring the phlebotomist was.  It was hard listening to the children so frightened and so NOT wanting that needle to come any closer (whether for a finger prick or an actual blood draw).

Even promises made by parents upon entering the laboratory that it'd be a McDonald's Happy Meal afterwards (provided  the child was quiet and cooperative) had little effect.

And I sure know I don't like needles.  Can't imagine what this is like for a 4-year-old.  sad

--Cindy

#21 2005-02-07 19:40:06

dickbill

Considering how poorly my diabetic friend chose to live (he was also homeless and lived in his cadillac parked in a parking lot for about 6 months) losing some teeth and poor eyesight at age 39 is not bad at all.  Most diabetics who take care of themselves live perfectly normal lives.

My grandfather has type II, was dianosed at about 70  and is now...89. He drinks red wine too, occasionaly.
Poor baby Flint, I have a yound daughter too (18 months) and I understand what you feel Ian.
You can find good doctors for your daughter and help from parents that have diabetic kids too.

Board footer