New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-21 08:01:26

Palomar

Re: ABC Special:  Assassination of JFK

*Did anyone else catch the special program last evening, on television, hosted by Peter Jennings?

My husband is especially intrigued by JFK, his life and assassination, etc. 

I've seen the 1991 Oliver Stone film, have read various articles about the event, documentaries, etc.

Last evening's program included new research techniques into the actual shooting, via computer animation:  Tracing the bullet pathway, the ability to see -- at all angles -- the body movements of the victims (it was the first time I'd noticed, thanks to the computer simulation, that JFK raised his arms upwards with elbows out after being shot the first time).

I wonder if there was a huge conspiracy behind it.

1.  Lee Harvey Oswald (as described by his closest kin and friends) was so ambitious and wanted To Be Somebody (as it turned out, no matter what)
2.  The Soviets initially didn't want him in their country a few years prior, and only changed their minds and allowed him to stay after he slashed his wrists, upon finding out they wanted him to go back home.
3.  The Cubans weren't interested in having him help the cause in Cuba, and denied him passage.  As did the Soviets back to the U.S.S.R.
4.  Jack Ruby may have had mob connections, but people alive who knew him well said he had a big mouth and couldn't keep a secret for more than an hour. 

I think it was a combination of odd circumstances, chances taken, etc.  A lot of fuss has been made (some of it legitimate, of course) about errors made in the Warren Report.  Well good grief, since when HASN'T anything put out by the Federal Government been riddled with mistakes, contradictions, etc.?

I did not see the final 30 minutes of the program.  I turned in for the night just as the probability of a 2nd shooter was being discussed. 

Then there was Oliver Stone's assertion in the film concerning all of the sudden and odd whereabouts of high-ranking U.S. officials that day...hmmmmmm.

Comments?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-11-21 08:44:36

clark

i didn't see it.

#3 2003-11-28 21:53:25

Cobra Commander

I just borrowed a tape of it. Comments will follow I'm sure.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2003-11-29 06:29:45

Palomar

I just borrowed a tape of it. Comments will follow I'm sure.

*I've been thinking more about the alleged 2nd shooter (as part of a wider plot, not just Oswald acting alone in his glory-seeking behavior):  What if another man were on the grassy knoll or nearby it, who happened to be carrying a gun that day, perhaps mentally unstable or violent by nature...he hears the gunshots, figures out very quickly someone's trying to kill the President, and figures "what the hell" -- and decides to join in?  Knowing the way these crackpots can be...

I look forward to whatever comments you have, CC.  You certainly seem very knowledgeable about politics and etc.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2003-11-29 08:28:19

Shaun Barrett

Cindy, I don't believe I've seen the particular program you mention about JFK's assassination. (Funny .. that word 'assassination' looks like it's got too many 's's in it !)
    But there was a series of programs here about the killing and they called it "The Men who killed Kennedy", as far as I can remember. Anyhow, they were definitely saying it was 'men', not 'a man', who committed the act.

As far as I can tell, from various lines of evidence I've seen in television shows, I would be inclined to say there were at least two gunmen.
    My feeling is that Oswald probably wasn't involved in the shooting but was just the fall-guy. Ruby was a slightly flaky stooge somehow induced to kill Oswald so as to prevent Oswald's innocence ever being demonstrated.

I think Kennedy was purposefully eliminated by a group of people in accordance with a plan. I'm not certain who was behind it all but there appears, at least to me, to have been a systematic cover-up after the event on the part of the Dallas police and the FBI.

At this stage of the game, it seems unlikely we'll ever know the whole truth about what actually happened and why.
    Just my thoughts on it.
                                            ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2003-11-29 08:45:14

Palomar

Cindy, I don't believe I've seen the particular program you mention about JFK's assassination. (Funny .. that word 'assassination' looks like it's got too many 's's in it !)
    But there was a series of programs here about the killing and they called it "The Men who killed Kennedy", as far as I can remember. Anyhow, they were definitely saying it was 'men', not 'a man', who committed the act.

As far as I can tell, from various lines of evidence I've seen in television shows, I would be inclined to say there were at least two gunmen.
    My feeling is that Oswald probably wasn't involved in the shooting but was just the fall-guy. Ruby was a slightly flaky stooge somehow induced to kill Oswald so as to prevent Oswald's innocence ever being demonstrated.

I think Kennedy was purposefully eliminated by a group of people in accordance with a plan. I'm not certain who was behind it all but there appears, at least to me, to have been a systematic cover-up after the event on the part of the Dallas police and the FBI.

At this stage of the game, it seems unlikely we'll ever know the whole truth about what actually happened and why.
    Just my thoughts on it.
                                            ???

*Shaun:

I too thought of Oswald as being a "fall guy" while watching Oliver Stone's 1991 movie (but just within the context of that film).

Jack Ruby:  He was the owner of at least one strip club and bar (maybe 2), and also had some Mafia connections, as you may know.  At least one close friend of his, who is still alive and who was interviewed extensively on the ABC television special, says Ruby couldn't keep secrets; he was a "nice" guy, but hot-headed and had a big mouth.   

The close friend of Ruby's said that Ruby was outraged by the assassination (yeah, to many s's...) and repeatedly said things like "the bastard killed My President," etc.  The close friend certainly believes, based on Ruby's statements and growing rage, that Ruby was "simply" engaging in vigilanteeism when he shot and killed Oswald.  In fact, just an hour prior to the shooting, Ruby had paid the rent for one of his club members and took his dog along in his car (to take to a pet groomer, I think).  So it seems Ruby was acting on his own, reacting out of rage...and also seeking to be considered a hero.  He told the close friend afterwards, in jail, "See?  I'm a hero.  I shot the assassin."

--Cindy

Board footer