New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2008-05-04 19:15:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Get your name in space

Not quite sure whether Bigelow was the first or that others came before but as of recent there has been others that are using this as a means to generate funding for there respective mission.

I am sure others remember Biosat http://www.yournameintospace.org/

Another very old one was http://spacekids.hq.nasa.gov/2003/home.htm

Now that names have made it onto a few mission it is time to get them on this one as well if possible.

We can't all go to moon, but our names can

You can on NASA's next lunar probe - in microscopic type.

A microchip with names will be placed on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, spacecraft, scheduled for an October launch. Marshall Space Flight Center oversees the probe.

NASA has established a free "Send Your Name to the Moon" Web site that "enables everyone to participate in the lunar adventure and place their names in orbit around the moon for years to come," according to the space agency.

Participants can submit their information at www.nasa.gov/lro, print a certificate and have their name entered into a database.

The database will be placed on a microchip that will be placed on the spacecraft. The deadline for submitting names is June 27.

"Everyone who sends their name to the moon, like I'm doing, becomes part of the next wave of lunar explorers," said Cathy Peddie, deputy project manager for LRO at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "The LRO mission is the first step in NASA's plans to return humans to the moon by 2020, and your name can reach there first. How cool is that?

It seems like there is lots of interest for space so now the next step is to make some money to make a real effort to get there sooner rather than later.

#2 2008-05-05 05:00:30

zhar2

There dosent seem to be any point in paying to send your name into space, its like "hey i cant explore the ocean depths so i'll just write my name on a rock and throw it into the sea", and anyhow hey might just writev it on a dvd which defeats the point even further.

#3 2008-05-06 00:29:54

cIclops

From today you can also put your name on a DVD that's on the Kepler exoplant telescope

Signup here

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

Board footer