New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-04-22 18:12:58

louis

Re: Sprucing up the Landscape at Mars One.

I've been thinking about a number of related issues to do with dust and the appearance of the base.

I'm wondering whether around the base we shouldn't be looking to create an artificial surface environment.

It will help dust control if the surface in the base area is covered. Possibilities could include the sort of green baize used in green grocer shops in the UK or something like astroturf. Essentially it would help if we could have a surface which can then be vacuumed - possibly robotically on a permanent basis.

Other possibilities - bamboo and other crops grown hydroponically could be used outside to provide  a humanised environment that people will find attractive - essentially we are talking landscaping here.  Think Japanese garden perhaps - with ice sculptures.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2008-04-22 18:51:04

Gregori

I've been thinking about a number of related issues to do with dust and the appearance of the base.

I'm wondering whether around the base we shouldn't be looking to create an artificial surface environment.

It will help dust control if the surface in the base area is covered. Possibilities could include the sort of green baize used in green grocer shops in the UK or something like astroturf. Essentially it would help if we could have a surface which can then be vacuumed - possibly robotically on a permanent basis.

Other possibilities - bamboo and other crops grown hydroponically could be used outside to provide  a humanised environment that people will find attractive - essentially we are talking landscaping here.  Think Japanese garden perhaps - with ice sculptures.

Makes yah question why we should even land on Mars..

If we do anything creative on Mars, I think we need a crack team of artists, architects and designers to look at the landscape and make something that is artistically inspired and informed from the local martian enviroment, not just imposing some part of Earth on the planet.

#3 2008-04-22 19:38:26

louis

I agree Gregori. I think we should aim to create a Mars culture with its own reference points, using local materials.

I was just trying to get some thought processes going here.

Whenever you see illustrations of Mars or Moon bases, you have the habitat but the surrounding area is left in a natural state. This despite the fact that everyone acknowledges dust is a major problem in both environments.

I was looking at creative ways of delivering good dust control and also creating a humanised environment.

We at least need to have a debate about whether one tries to create an artificial dust-controlled artificial surface environment.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2008-04-23 18:15:43

Gregori

I agree Gregori. I think we should aim to create a Mars culture with its own reference points, using local materials.

I was just trying to get some thought processes going here.

Whenever you see illustrations of Mars or Moon bases, you have the habitat but the surrounding area is left in a natural state. This despite the fact that everyone acknowledges dust is a major problem in both environments.

I was looking at creative ways of delivering good dust control and also creating a humanised environment.

We at least need to have a debate about whether one tries to create an artificial dust-controlled artificial surface environment.

I'd look at how they handle dust in the Middle East/Saharan Africa for a solution. If the base is a tunnel bored underground into the side of a mountain/crater. This way, dust can only get in one way and can be removed the same way too.

Another solution could be to elevate the settlements on 'stilts', so that dust blows under it.

I'd like to pay homage to past perceptions of Mars through sculptures and architecture on Mars. (The Face on Mars, the 'Canals', The Gods and Mythology associated with Mars)

Actually, I think you could build one heck of a pyramid on Mars. The Gravity is weaker, So it could be a lot bigger. Cut the stones for it out of local rocks, or make bricks through sintering, either way. It would look soo cool!

#5 2008-04-23 18:42:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Early base landers probably should have a containment wall even if nothing else but to set out in not allowing for areas to be contaminated before we can get to gathering samples from those sites.

#6 2008-04-23 19:23:53

Gregori

Early base landers probably should have a containment wall even if nothing else but to set out in not allowing for areas to be contaminated before we can get to gathering samples from those sites.

Perhaps sandbags might do the trick?

I doubt this will be so much of a priority for the first landings anyhow.

Board footer