New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-04-02 16:32:06

Martian Republic

Re: Fight to save the earth from tiny black hole!

There an effort to stop the creation of black hole on Earth without safety study to see if it safe to create them.

Larry,

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/figh … 10851.html

#2 2008-04-03 02:56:02

zhar2

Yeah i know, some people.

They should read more and be more realistics.

Its soooooooooooooooooooo unlikely its gonna kill.

#3 2008-04-03 16:35:50

louis

Yes, but you don't just do a risk analysis, you do a risk-to-consequence analysis.

If I throw my toddler in the air and catch her, I'm probably happy with throwing her a foot or two above my head. If the worst happened and I lost my footing she woudl be hurt but in all probability she would survive. But if I threw her ten feet in the air,  there is strong probability she will die should I lose my footing, even though the risk of my losing my footing is the same.

The consequence of a mistake with black holes is complete extinction. We cannot afford to stumble blindly into that. Sir Martyn Rees - Astronomer Royal and someone who knows a thing or two about black holes - is rightly cautious. I'd prefer to trust his judgement.

Perhaps it's one of God's booby traps and explains why SETI has been so unsuccessful to date: perhaps all previous civilisations in the cosmos have stumbled into this and other booby traps.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2008-04-05 17:26:32

zhar2

Perhaps it's one of God's booby traps and explains why SETI has been so unsuccessful to date: perhaps all previous civilisations in the cosmos have stumbled into this and other booby traps.

Im sorry but thats not quite right to agree as fact or even speculation.

They might infact be quite good resources in the future.

Board footer