New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-03-27 06:16:32

srmeaney

Re: Arthur C. Clark Dies Disapointed

"Clark Orbit" himself perished without Alien life ever being discovered...

But Black Holes are debris of change in possibility (a change that can only be achieved by life)... So life is out there (or was).

#2 2008-03-27 06:46:55

cIclops

Why such a negative spin? He doesn't sound like a disappointed man; he's impressed by progress and optimistic about the future.

Video statement by Clarke made a few months before he died

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2008-05-20 10:23:28

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

When you guess about the future, you often risk being wrong. Clarke always tried to keep his physics right, the motivations of the people who would establish a base on the Moon, for instance as in 2001 A Space Odyssey are hard to predict. I feel we certainly could have done that had the governments embarked on a Manhatten Project style effort to inhabit Cis-Lunar space, but governments had other priorities. I think what was depicted in 2001 was fairly accurate, it was only the year he got wrong. There is nothing to say that we won't have such things, including the great wheel in space in 2037 for example. The design in 2001 of the space station was similar to Von Braun's design of a similar Wheeled Space Station in his book the Mars Project, in that book, it took a World Government to launch a fleet of ships to Mars when life was discovered on that planet. Von Braun, although better know as a rocket engineer, was quite an interesting science fiction writer when he wrote that book.

#4 2008-05-22 21:10:15

louis

He had some interesting technical ideas but from a philosophical point of view he always struck me as very shallow.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2008-05-24 08:23:24

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

He had some interesting technical ideas but from a philosophical point of view he always struck me as very shallow.

Care to elaborate?

Board footer