New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2007-12-31 13:54:09

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: What do you think of the ISS?

What does everyone here think of the ISS?  Good, bad, useful experience, waste of money etc.

-Josh

#2 2007-12-31 15:35:55

Terraformer
Website

You didn't add in what I'd say. Typical. It's up there, so we might as well use it. At the very least we can stripit down for materials. It's the only space station we have at the moment so we might as well get some use out of it. You seem to advocate its immediete deorbit. I, on the other hand, want to use it to build spacecraft. I am in favour of using what we've been lumped with or lumped ourselves with.

Use what is abundant and build to last

#3 2007-12-31 15:49:58

JoshNH4H
Website

by 'good' and 'bad', I meant 'waste of money' or not.  The ISS isn't really equipped for much, there's nothing that could really change that.

-Josh

#4 2007-12-31 18:28:43

Commodore

Really, the best thing we can do with the ISS is as a testbed for new station technologies. Once the Ares V is flying, design a big logistics module that would dock for several months to a year at a time to eliminate the need for several Progress launches. It could be partially pressurized, have air locks, plus probably as much Lab space as the station itself, and we wouldn't be tied down for decades with an outdated design. Being roughly the same size as the Shuttle you avoid stresses the station wasn't designed for.

I suppose you could use it a work site for lunar cyclers, or construction orbiters, but keep in mind that once done, you'll have to change their orbit to something more useful.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#5 2008-04-07 19:05:06

Ron Carlson
Banned

The ISS is particularly good for nations to make friends with each other and learn how to work together.

Ron Carlson

#6 2008-04-09 14:25:02

JoshNH4H
Website

They could do that for a moon mission, and get more done.

-Josh

Board footer