New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2007-11-04 15:09:16

Terraformer
Website

Re: H2O+UV

Would this idea work? Steam is injected into a compartment where it is exposed to UV radiation from the sun. This splits the water into Hydrogen and oxygen, which is then combusted. This would get rid of having to use electroysis to get Hydrogen and oxygen to use as fuel and air.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2007-11-04 17:18:16

Austin Stanley
Website

While you could use energetic photons (not necessarily UV light) to split water, you really don't get any efficiency boost.  In the end, there is no way to get around the iron clad laws of thermodynamics.

Ie.  For any reaction XY + Energy -> Energy + X + Y all components must be equal.  Its going to take about the same amount of energy to split X and Y apart that you are going to get by combusting them back together again.

So for water the energy you put into to splitting it (be it via electrolysis or any other fancy method of decomposition) is going to be approximately equal to the energy released when the hydrogen and oxygen are combusted back together again.  Period.  End of story.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#3 2007-11-05 04:11:12

Terraformer
Website

Ah, but what about factories? Solar panels are inefficient so my idea would be more efficient than using electrosis. You're using energy thaat would otherwise just go to waste.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer