New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-19 05:45:42

Palomar

Re: NASA Coins to be Minted

http://www.space.com/news/cs_050719_nasa_coins.html]To be issued in 2008

*I don't see this article having been posted yet (Search).

The coins, to be issued in 2008, are to commemorate 50 years since the founding of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the opening of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).  "Minting coins is a distinctive way to honor 50 years of dedicated service by the men and women of JPL and NASA," said Representative Adam Schiff, who was a co- sponsor of the Act and who represents the district where JPL is located.

Approved by House of Representatives on July 12. 

The United States Mint came one step closer this week to striking a new series of gold and silver coins containing metal that flew on historic spacecraft.

The first $1 million raised as a result of the sale of these coins will go to the NASA Family Assistance Fund. This fund provides need-based financial assistance to the families of NASA personnel who die as a result of injuries suffered in the performance of their official duties.

Sounds good to me.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-11-19 14:43:13

BWhite

Good idea!

Maybe lunar platinum coins can jumpstart lunar exploration [exploitation]?

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#3 2005-11-22 06:03:15

Palomar

*Bill wrote:

Good idea!

Maybe lunar platinum coins can jumpstart lunar exploration [exploitation]?

Perhaps.  Of course there's Clark's thread on the matter.  Sorry, I'm not up to that particular conversation currently (have had it a couple of times before, husband ill, trying to save a $1300 computer from a trojan-horse infection which nearly destroyed it, Thanksgiving preparations...).

I don't see any reason why the topic can't continue in Clark's thread.  It is an interesting topic which I usually enjoy hashing out...but it's just not in me currently.  neutral

Good luck and have fun to the participants in Clark's thread on the topic. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2005-11-22 06:52:58

clark

When you say my name three times, I appear.  tongue

#5 2005-11-22 07:19:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

Coins not really a topic of exploition but rather one of creative finacing, thou coins minted off world would fall under the category. But really they are just collectibles all the same.
There was also mention from one of the mint locations for colectibles that a shuttle coin was being marketed. I wonder how well that went....
Next we will see halmark cards..

#6 2005-11-22 07:45:56

Palomar

There was also mention from one of the mint locations for colectibles that a shuttle coin was being marketed. I wonder how well that went....

*Lol! 

Not as the Shuttle goes.  That cannot be placed under the Hallmark slogan "When you care enough to send the very best."  roll

--Cindy

#7 2005-11-22 15:35:14

BWhite

*Lol! 

Not as the Shuttle goes.  That cannot be placed under the Hallmark slogan "When you care enough to send the very best."  roll

--Cindy

Shuttle orbiter: "When you care enough to send the very best."

Now that is funny.  Well said!

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

Board footer