New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-07-18 10:24:04

Number04

Re: A Survival Imperative for Space Colonization

In 1993, J. Richard Gott III computed with scientific certainty that humanity would survive at least 5,100 more years. At the time, I took that as reason to relax, but Dr. Gott has now convinced me I was wrong. He has issued a wake-up call: To ensure our long-term survival, we need to get a colony up and running on Mars within 46 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/scien … ref=slogin

#2 2007-11-09 14:06:28

publiusr
Banned

I agree.

#3 2007-11-10 12:34:32

Terraformer
Website

Suppose you want to forecast the political longevity of the leader of a foreign country, and you know nothing about her country except that she has just finished her 39th week in power. What are the odds that she’ll leave office in her 40th week? According to the Copernican Principle, there’s nothing special about this week, so there’s only a 1-in-40 chance, or 2.5 percent, that she’s now in the final week of her tenure.

It’s equally unlikely that she’s still at the very beginning of her tenure. If she were just completing the first 2.5 percent of her time in power, that would mean her remaining time would be 39 times as long as the period she’s already served — 1,521 more weeks (a little more than 29 years).

So you can now confidently forecast that she will stay in power at least one more week but not as long as 1,521 weeks. The odds of your being wrong are 2.5 percent on the short end and 2.5 percent on the long end — a total of just 5 percent, which means that your forecast has an expected accuracy of 95 percent, the scientific standard for statistical significance.

One problem. If the said leader lasts for another month and you apply the principle, you get different answers.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2007-11-12 15:02:38

Number04

You will get different answers because time is a variable.

But the point is that and species survival is dependant on its environment.

How is ours doing? Not so hot.

To survive we need to expand. It’s not and if but a when.

And the sooner the better.

#5 2007-11-12 16:57:46

Grypd

I would say that as much as we look at history there is one major difference between these civilisations and ours. We have advanced to the point where we can actually do something to develop ourselves and in the process change the whole basis of the arquement.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

Board footer