New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-07-05 07:32:18

Palomar

Re: Sunshine (the movie)

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2007-07-09 04:39:30

cIclops

Yahoo movie guide

Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

Is it a comedy?

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2007-07-10 01:10:43

Josh Cryer

It was actually pretty good. The science behind it was "sound" from a 'theoretical' standpoint (theoretical physics is kind of a joke though). They even got some theorists to talk about the science behind the overall dying of the sun (weird exotic particles are infiltrating the sun, etc). The end left a lot to be desired, though. And it was one of those (rot13 spoiler!) rirelbar qvrf types of movie, which generally leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Gur svany cneg jura gur thl frrf gur ahpyrne obzo tb bss vf ernyyl arng gubhtu. N zbzrag va gvzr orsber ur'f pbzcyrgryl boyvgrengrq. Ernyyl pbby. Vs bayl gur tvey jnf jvgu uvz ng gung cbvag.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2007-07-11 16:59:06

clark

Abj v qba’g arrq gb frr vg, fnlf bar areq gb gur bgure. 
Gel uneqre arkg gvzr, cyrnfr.

#5 2007-07-11 23:52:19

cIclops

Seeing this film is a complete waste of time and money, it's a mix of 2001, 2010 and Dr Strangelove with a story line that is shorter than this sentence. The last half of the "movie" is almost dialog free. The lack of plot, dialog and believable characters is hidden inside an endless visual jumble almost as bad as rot13.

On the positive side, it's better than Ghosts of Mars.

BTW Josh: Vg jnf n oynpx ubyr obzo abg n ahpyrne bar smile

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#6 2007-09-09 13:02:16

bolbuyk

I consider it rather good. Nice pictures, rather tense. Of course some of 2001 is seen in it, but that's not making it worse IMHO.

#7 2007-09-11 14:43:57

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Do you imagine there is anything us mere humans can do to save a dying Sun? 2001 is a near-future genere, that means people not too much more advanced than us. If some exotic particles were to somehow stop fusion at the Sun's core, there would be nothing we can do about it, as we can't get to the Sun's core to fix it. also the Sun is huge, about 870,000 miles in diameter or thereabouts, it makes the Earth look like a tiny little pea by comparison, and us itty bittie little humans that are mere specks when compared with the Earth are supposed to save the Sun?!!

People who know very little about astronomy are more likely to swallow this movie premise, even if there is good theoretical physics underpinning it. The mere concept of humans saving the Sun stretches credibility. 2001 A Space Odyssey made no pretenses to accomplishing such a thing in its storyline. Stellarizing Jupiter was the accomplishment of Aliens in 2010, not humans.

Any effort to save a star would require nothing less than stellar engineering. Anyway if the Sun's fusion core ran down, we would not have to go to the Sun, the Sun would come to us as it expanded into a red giant. The collapse of the Sun's core would release alot of heat into the Sun's outerlayers causing it to expand to a red giant.

#8 2007-09-12 05:18:58

clark

The mere concept of humans saving the Sun stretches credibility.

Agreed.

Much like any of the discussions here.

The mere concept of humans living on Mars stretches credibility.

And I find it laughable that one would even refrence 2001, holding it up as somehow more credible. Aliens, Monoliths, Space Babies, and Murderous Computers? Yes, very credible. Yes, very realistic.

sci-fi is fantasy. fantasy is a sub-genere of fiction. fiction is escapism.

Discussions about living on Mars, in space, or the bottom of a lagoon? Right, of course. Visionary.

But what do I know. hah.

#9 2007-09-20 09:23:40

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Living on Mars is a far cry from Stellar Engineering! Stellar Engineering is the stuff of supercivilizations, Type II civilizations I suppose they are called. A type II civilization is one that can control the resources of an entire star system, and by mining stars though magnetic manipulation, they can prolong the lives of those stars and obtain incredible amounts of material for building stuff with. I do not believe the movie Sunshine is about a type II civilization trying to save its sun.

I have a feeling that if there is a type II civilization in our future, it wouldn't be populated mostly by humans.

Board footer