New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-05-09 20:38:31

X

Re: Can I ask a question about life not on Earth or Mars?

I thought this probably best fit here even if it wasn't about Mars.  Not sure if anyone could really make a guess though, but here goes.  If some of the gas giant moons thought to be ice covered water oceans have things analogous to ocean going life on earth what are the chances we could eat it?  It'd really save on weight if we found edible indigenous life somewhere.

#2 2007-05-10 05:56:39

Rxke

Heehee!

(Imagines the exo-biologist getting huuge fits over this.)

Hmmm edibility... How big are the chances they have the same aminoacid structure compared to human life, to begin with?

#3 2007-07-06 05:25:54

m1omg
Banned

Heehee!

(Imagines the exo-biologist getting huuge fits over this.)

Hmmm edibility... How big are the chances they have the same aminoacid structure compared to human life, to begin with?

more precisely, about 10 to -150 power because there are soo many combinations of aminoacids...
Only if their microbial ancestors originated from Earth and somewhat get there billions of years ago.

#4 2007-07-18 18:10:11

dryson

it's possible, if water exists then the probability for life to exist is at around 75%. The life may not be like we are as all life forms would have evovled to survive in their environment. Look at the angler fish or the bio-luminescent fish that inhabit the deepest parts of out ocean here on Earth.

Lifeforms always evolve to survive, if it doesn't then the liferoms would become extinct.

Board footer