New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-04-24 17:30:38

Number04

Re: Major Discovery: Earth-like planet only 20 ly away

#2 2007-04-25 01:12:25

maxie
Banned

Oh yes ! Finally. Some very good news. tongue

LE: I edited the title to make it more obvious.

#3 2007-04-25 07:24:32

nickname
Banned

Maybe time for NASA to stop sitting on it's hands and get the planet finder in space before some other country does.
NASA and the USA space program could find themselves playing catchup in very short time if they don't.
I guess NASA  and the USA could just pay for information from whatever country decides to be the first to take pictures of earth2.

Some things are more important than shuttling things to the space station, in fact almost all other things in space are smile

Science facts are only as good as knowledge.
Knowledge is only as good as the facts.
New knowledge is only as good as the ones that don't respect the first two.

#4 2007-04-26 13:45:13

C M Edwards

The estimated age of Gliese 581 is 4.3 billion years - slightly younger than our own sun.  Fow all we know, there could be a native civilization there.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#5 2007-04-27 02:06:22

maxie
Banned

Now the question is: how quick can we get there ? At least with some probes... :cry:

#6 2007-04-27 03:23:22

noosfractal
Website

If we can build something that averages 1/10th the speed of light ( maybe an antimatter-driven sail ), then the trip time will be 200 years ( +20 years to get back the first signals ).

For now, we are going to have to be satisfied with better instruments to study it.  Remember to lobby your local politician for the lunar telescope array.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#7 2007-04-27 11:00:54

Number04

I started to talk about this subject in another thread but I find it more appropriate here.
Obliviously this new discovery opens the floor for a million different questions.
The most pressing being does the planet have water? If so, then could we live there? If yes, do things already live there?

The problem I was discussing in the other thread was the religious implications of life on other planets. Currently, fundamental Christians are fighting the idea of evolution to the level of outright abolishment of the theory.

Now, say we find traces of bacteria on this planet? How is the church going to explain why God did that? Will they just turn a blind eye? I can’t see them embracing this at all.

#8 2007-04-27 11:47:20

noosfractal
Website

the religious implications of life on other planets ... I can’t see them embracing this at all.

You're way underestimating theologians.  They will do whatever it takes to enslave people's minds.

#9 2007-04-27 14:55:04

Number04

whatever it takes to enslave people's minds.

Right, and they pick and chose what's real. Evidence doesn’t even enter into the equation.

I have really high hopes for this planet. If nothing else it will spark imagination and hopefully increase the drive to explore into space.

#10 2007-04-28 01:03:42

noosfractal
Website

Right, and they pick and chose what's real. Evidence doesn’t even enter into the equation.

They would rather redefine black as white than admit their pretense.

I have really high hopes for this planet. If nothing else it will spark imagination and hopefully increase the drive to explore into space.

I didn't realize the effect the discovery would have on people.  I guess to me it was a sure thing that such planets existed, so the confirmation was less thrilling than for some.

BTW, under panspermia assumptions, Gliese 581 c, being so close, has had ample time to be seeded by single-celled life evolved on Earth & possibly vice versa (but probably not because the Earth had a 300 million year head start & single-celled life appeared 600 million years after the surface cooled).

Board footer