New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-01-05 08:30:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Ares I (CLV) - Upper stage status

The descusion of the orion not being able to get the payload to orbit has been around a while and even thou it has been debunked by statements from Nasa it is now time to firm up the request for design.

NASA MSFC Solicitation: Ares I Upper Stage Production

ARES I / UPPER STAGE MILESTONES

Upper Stage Element Milestones Date
Upper Stage PDR                      May 2008
Upper Stage CDR                      November 2009
MPTA Test Activation                 September 2010
Ares I Launch                           June 2011
Upper Stage GVT Test Activation November 2011
Ares 2 Launch                           September 2012
Upper Stage DCR                     December 2012
Orion 3 (First Human Flight) Launch October 2013
Orion 4 Launch                             March 2014
Orion 5 Launch                          September 2014
Orion 6 Launch                          March 2015
Orion 7 Launch                            September 2015
Orion 8 Launch                         March 2016
Orion 9 Launch                       September 2016

Items that we know will be in the upper stage are the J2-X, and roll control for the first stage SRB but there will be lots more to talk about as time progresses.

#2 2007-01-09 10:15:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Delays Ares Upper Stage Review

We need more time to work over the requirements passed down to us by the higher-ups and do a proper review," said Danny Davis,

Ares I-1, planned for launch in 2009, will be the first test flight of the integrated launch vehicle system.

#3 2007-01-30 10:32:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Let the lobbying for who will get the contract begin...
Boeing lobbies for NASA project

Boeing is lobbying Louisiana officials this week in a bid to win a multibillion-dollar rocket assembly project at NASA’s Michoud facility in east New Orleans./quote]

Of course this is due to:

Lockheed Martin, which builds external launch tanks for the space shuttle, will see that program phase out in 2008, with actual flights ending by 2010.

#4 2007-01-31 15:52:01

RedStreak
Banned

I honestly hope for Lockheed.  Given the Centaur upper stage and the External Fuel tank this seems literally right up their alley. Boeing makes a good Delta...usually...but Detlas as I recall aren't man-rated.  Prior to Challenger's explosion the Centaur was being considered for a shuttle stage.  Having Lockheed managing both CEV and the upper stage ought to make specifications far easier to enact given they'd being built under the same 'house'.

#5 2007-02-23 18:30:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Issues Ares I Upper Stage Production Request For Proposal
Category: Acquisition News

http://prod.nais.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eps/b … =62#123168

The request for proposal states the procurement approach for obtaining the upper stage element. The selected contractor will produce the required Ares I upper stage and provide support to a NASA-led design team during the design phase. The contract will provide for the manufacture and assembly of test articles, flight test units, and the operational upper stage elements to support NASA’s flight manifest through 2016. Final manufacturing and assembly will take place at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in Louisiana.

#6 2007-08-29 06:45:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well it has been 6 months to judge who would get to build the upperstage of the Ares I.

These are the articles and specifics that have been released.

Boeing team to build Ares

The Boeing team will build a ground-test stage, three flight-test stages and six flight stages under the contract, which runs through 2016. The production work will be done at Michoud Assembly Facility, near New Orleans, and will be developed by NASA at Marshall, said Steve Cook, NASA's Ares project manager.

The contract has the potential to be worth $1.25 billion if all options and extensions are exercised by NASA, Cook said.

"This stage is six times larger than any upper stage in use on launch vehicles today," Cook said. "It's on par with the Saturn S-IV stage that was used on the Saturn V."

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … 007/NEWS02

The initial figure for the contract is about $515 million, but options would bring the price up to $1.125 billion. About 23 upper stages would be produced.

The 84-foot by 18-foot second stage will be built at the Michoud Assembly Facility outside New Orleans, where external tanks for the space shuttle have been built for decades.

The award completes the third of four major contracts for the Ares I, which is scheduled to carry humans to the space station by 2014 and to the moon by 2020.

A contract for the second stage J2-X engine was signed with Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne in June. In August, a $1.8 billion contract with Alliant Techsystems of Utah was signed for the first stage, which is a modified version of the shuttle solid rocket booster. Lockheed Martin is building the Orion spacecraft.

http://www.space.com/news/070828_ares1_upperstage.html

Had Boeing lost the upper stage competition, it would have had only one more shot at getting a piece of the multibillion dollar new launch system - a roughly $300 million contract NASA expects to award in December for the rocket's avionics system.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/space/5091154.html

Boeing, under a contract valued at up to $1.125 billion, will develop the second stage of the Ares I rocket that will launch the Orion spacecraft with astronauts. Boeing joins Lockheed Martin, ATK Launch Systems and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne on the development team.

The selection brought to more than $12.5 billion the development work under contract and managed by NASA's Constellation program at the Johnson Space Center.

#7 2007-11-15 18:26:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA Glenn gets work on moon

Glenn employees continue to build an upper stage simulator for a test flight of the Ares I rocket. During the Ares I-X test flight, currently scheduled for April 2009, only the first stage — a derivative of the shuttle’s current solid rocket booster — will burn. For the past several months, Glenn workers have been building sections of the upper stage simulator, affectionately called the “tuna can,” out of rolled sheet steel.

lunarwork-045.jpg

A section of the dummy stage, made out of rolled sheet steel, is prepared at Glenn.

lunarwork-038.jpg

Sections of a dummy upper stage for a test launch of the Ares I rocket are prepared at the Glenn Resaerch Center

#8 2007-12-26 07:54:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

205918main_Upper_Stage_720x540.jpg
Latest design for the Upper Stage - December 2007

J-2X Powerpack Testing Status Report #1 - 19 Dec 2007

On Dec. 18, NASA began testing core components of a rocket engine from the Apollo era on the A-1 Test Stand at NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Miss. Data from the tests will help NASA build the next generation engine that will power the nation's new Ares launch vehicles on voyages that will send humans to the moon.

The test was on the engine's powerpack -- a gas generator and turbopumps that perform the rocket engine's major pumping and combustion work. During the test, engineers ran liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen through the powerpack, monitoring its ducts, valves and lines to verify the tightness of seals in the oxidizer lines and pumps. Engineers also verified accuracy of the chill procedure and determined the amount of time required to chill the pumps. Initial indications are all test objectives were met with no anomalies noted.

J-2X testing has begun!

#9 2018-12-28 12:19:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I could have sworn that we had something more recent for posting to on what we are using for the SLS upper stage but it seems that the work done for the very heavy capsule was moved to the right for the Ares v and then into the resurected SLS of congress.

https://www.ulalaunch.com/docs/default- … launch.pdf

Board footer