New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-03 17:33:51

Alistair

Re: Magic of Blaine and Criss Angel - magic or science

This may be a bit off the wall but:

Anyone care to explain the 'gravity defying' "illusions" of David Blaine and Criss Angel? 

I know some of the stuff they do is obviously an illusion, but walking up walls and levitating in the middle of the street have me baffled.

Alistair

#2 2003-11-03 22:47:45

FuSiOn
Banned

There was a show on the Discovery Channel (or maybe it was The Learning Channel) explaining how David Blane did a lot of his illusions.
I can't remember most of it, but the levitating in the middle of the street was done by doing it at a certain angle so that he raises one foot off the ground and it obscures the view of the other foot, then he raises the "back" of his other foot and standing with just the support of his toes on that foot. (it was kind of dark out as well)
Then they showed him go beyond the ince or two he initially accomplished. How did he do that ? He cheated. He used something to boost him up really high (like a meter or something).Then he got the crowd in on it this time so they would seem amazed by him going so much higher.

Not sure how well I explained that, but I'm sure the answers could probably be found on google if you were persistent enough.

#3 2003-11-09 02:42:56

Christina

that's why they're called Illusionists - because it's a con, which used to be done with mirrors and now with more advanced technology.

But speaking of Blaine (the g*t-wizard as he is known here) - why has he turned his attention to endurance feats? Does he have some stupid idea that he can attain the level of bodily control that some Indian holy men have? Look at that 44 days in a box stunt. All the fuss and media over it, then - silence. My personal theory is that trying to do that sort of thing in public, for publicity, will always cause bodily harm. Doing it privately, for spiritual enlightenment, with faith, might not.

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

Board footer