New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-11-22 04:29:27

cIclops

Re: Dynamic Soaring

Dynamic soaring may suit Mars missions

Dynamic soaring differs from the traditional static soaring techniques normally used by glider pilots. Unlike static soaring, which uses vertical motion such as riding thermals, dynamic soaring involves extracting energy from horizontal windshears.

This may give the edge to projects like ARES that suffer from limited range and duration.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#2 2006-11-22 08:46:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

I knew the moment that I saw the Aerial Regional-scale Environmental Survey of Mars Scout Mission plane that we had another thread  covering it. Airplanes on Mars on page 3, I posted on this particular shape and design.

#3 2007-02-09 12:12:21

dicktice

Dynamic soaring may suit Mars missions

Dynamic soaring differs from the traditional static soaring techniques normally used by glider pilots. Unlike static soaring, which uses vertical motion such as riding thermals, dynamic soaring involves extracting energy from horizontal windshears.

This may give the edge to projects like ARES that suffer from limited range and duration.

My understanding of dynamic soaring relates to the far-ranging sea birds which rely upon moving waves to cover distances over the oceans. Slope soaring parallel to moving slopes, in other words. The dust devils of Mars appear to be so numerous that thermal soaring must be possible using ultralight, instrument carrying sailplanes, with solar powered and charged propeller propulsion assist.

Board footer