New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2006-11-02 17:21:36

Palomar

Re: The 1st woman in space -- ever

That's what it seems like

You'd think Ride, McAuliffe and Tereshkova never existed.  Ah, but they weren't billionaires or even piddly millionaires were they?

“I was like oh my God, I love her,” Max said.  “I adore what she’s doing.”

Well of course you do; she's rich.  Gets your blood pressure revved up, does it?

And no other woman ever has gone into space...ever.

The female explorer also plans to educate society about the importance of space exploration, with an emphasis on reaching out to young girls around the world. 

“I am going to try and continue my work and talk to as many people as possible and hope that I can take this flame and put it in a lot more hearts,” Ansari said.

Awww...how nice and altruistic.  And just how much $ are you putting out towards that cause versus:

“Once you’re in space, you get sort of addicted to it. So any chance to have that similar experience again, I will definitely do it.”

...including another $25 million for another ISS visit.  Why not donate that money towards education, Ms. Altruism?

As to what she’ll do with Max’s paintings, Ansari is not so sure.

“I don’t have any wall in my house that’s big enough for this,”

Hmmmmmmm (skeptical).

she said. “Maybe I’ll put it in a museum so it would have a good effect and more people can see them and get inspired. I really like it. I think it’s great.”

And it doesn't hurt your ego either, right?  smile  (Out of sight, out of mind is scary).  After all, you are the first woman in space ever.  roll  Let's forget all about those "homely peasants" before Ansari...(who never received even 5% of the adoration this chick's getting).

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2006-11-02 18:33:58

Ian Flint

It's a good thing the Russians didn't put the first woman in space decades ago.  That would just be wierd...

But hey, I think it would be really cool if she went up twice.  The publicity the trip would generate might be better for the private space effort than $25 million dispersed among a gajillion schools.  A second trip would encourage space tourism investment, etc.

#3 2006-11-02 19:18:31

RobertDyck
Website

It's a good thing the Russians didn't put the first woman in space decades ago.  That would just be wierd...

Ah hem! Cindy did mention Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space.

On June 16, 1963 she flew on Vostok 6, and became the first woman and first civilian to fly into space. Her call sign in this flight was Chayka (English: Seagull; Russian: Ча́йка). She orbited the earth 48 times and spent almost three days in space, which was more than the combined flights times of all American astronauts at the time.

Don't forget your space history. The Russians were the first to launch anything in orbit: Sputnik. They were the first to launch a human in space: Yuri Gagarin. They were the first to launch more than one person at a time: Voskhod 1 carried Col. Vladimir Komarov, pilot; Konstantin Feoktistov, scientist; and Boris Yegorov, physician. Voskhod 1 launched 12 October 1964, upstaging Gemini 1. The Russians beat America at every space achievement, that's why JFK chose the Moon. When he said "not because it is easy, but because it is hard" he meant that it was so hard that the Russians couldn't do it first. Apollo 8 was the first space "first" that America achieved. In fact, Apollo 9 was going to be the first manned fly-by around the Moon, Apollo 8 was going to be an unmanned fly-by to test the hardware. However, they learned the Soviets were getting ready to do that with mission N-1 3L: a Soyuz 7K-L1A launched on an N1 rocket. It was launched 21 February 1969, but an engine problem resulted in detonation by range safety 70 seconds into the flight.
Encyclopedia Astronautica

#4 2006-11-02 21:31:11

Ian Flint

Umm... yeah...

I was just joking.

I love sarcasm online.  Someone always takes it seriously.

#5 2006-11-03 00:10:17

cIclops

That's what it seems like

You'd think Ride, McAuliffe and Tereshkova never existed.  Ah, but they weren't billionaires or even piddly millionaires were they?

Yes and everyone has also forgotten that Helen Sharman ever existed. She was the first privately funded female astrounuat, perhaps even the first non government sponsored astronaut. She flew on Soyuz TM-12 to Mir in 1991. It wasn't Ansari's money that got her noticed, more her cute sexuality that the media exploited.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#6 2006-11-03 03:02:00

Palomar

Yet another unsung hero

How many folks reading this have heard of THIS young lady?  Let me guess:  1 out of 25, if that.

Though Ms. Felix's not yet had her adventure, this young woman does hope to inspire her peers, educate, etc.  She's making Nigeria proud.  And chances are this and 1 other news blurb are all we'll hear of her; after all, she's not wealthy.  She's also not an American, which doesn't help.

And since education is supposedly oh-so paramount to elitist space advocates like Ms. Ansari and her drooling devotees, why don't we hear more about:

Planetspace Joins Teachers In Space Project

Phoenix AZ (SPX) Oct 18, 2006

PlanetSpace Inc. today joined a growing list of NewSpace rocket firms offering to fly teachers into space as part of the Teachers in Space (TIS) project of the Space Frontier Foundation. The firm, based in Chicago, says it will be ready to carry passengers in 2008 to over 60 miles altitude - among them two teachers taking the ride of their life. "The momentum is growing," said Bill Boland, project manager of the TIS project.

Quoting Ms. Ansari yet again:

Once you’re in space, you get sort of addicted to it.

I'm sure you're even more addicted to your Jupiter-sized ego and all the limelight.  After all, you are the 1st woman in space ever.  A pity you didn't get a NYC ticker-tape parade ala the Apollo astronauts, eh?  Frankly I'm amazed you didn't get a NYC ticker-tape parade; after all, you are the 1st woman in space ever

Well, at least you've got "The Right Stuff" as far as the current space exploration community goes:  You're rich and good looking.  Guess that's what it takes to be female and REALLY make your mark on the (shallow) space exploration community.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2006-11-03 03:32:52

Rxke

You're jealous, that's all. Admit it  tongue

#8 2006-11-03 07:29:39

RobertDyck
Website

Well, at least you've got "The Right Stuff" as far as the current space exploration community goes:  You're rich and good looking.  Guess that's what it takes to be female and REALLY make your mark on the (shallow) space exploration community.

Hmm, the painting does make her look pretty. It's just a painting, the artist wouldn't get paid if it didn't. There are a lot of young women here in Winnipeg who look prettier. Don't worry, I'm sure your husband thinks you're the most beautiful woman in the world, and he's the only one who matters. I did notice her posing "cutesy" for the camera; frankly I'm not at all impressed. Focus on the fact she did real science while in space. What is impressive is the fact she got in space with her own money, I wish I could do that.

#9 2006-11-03 15:36:20

C M Edwards

I really don't give a flip if Sara Goudarzi didn't do her homework.  She's not the one who flew.

Congratulations, Anousheh Ansari, and welcome back.  I can't wait to get the print.  May you have many happy returns.

Stella, I hope you're next, complete with pop-art portrait.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#10 2008-04-25 22:06:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

I recalled that we had this thread and wanted to add to it rather than start a new one.

This has been in the works for a while as an activity for MarsDrive by Frank Stratford.

MarsDrive Interview with Anousheh Ansari

Board footer