New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-10-12 21:49:19

flashgordon

Re: Isaac Asimov article about robot rationality over human . .

http://www.slate.com/id/2103979/

I find it interesting that the article says Isaac Asimov has robots in I Robot out morality over human irrationality; i havn't read it, but now, I'm pretty interested in reading it.  I also find it interesting about what it says about I Robot that in his Foundations Edge, Isaac Asimov has the main character chose 'life' over human irrationality or some supposedly living intelligences idea of logical course of action.  I would note that Crn chooses the 'life' pathway as well; or at least, that is my take on them and Feynman nanotechnology.  I don't totally mind that pathway, but, I worry they are closing our chances off to much from getting away from the irrationality mongering that I see in humanity.

I've lived my life according to logic and find it works, but like the Samarai in "The Last Samarai", it takes a lot to raise people of such pure soul; their only mistake like the militaries of the world is thinking warfare is the 'goal' of living and mankind.  I find only an asimovian foundation is the way to break the state of nature past that humanity evolved from, but crn refuses to listen.  I don't mind using the system of three ethics according to crn in this foundation, but people have to be willing to live by peer review science and I would suggest the ethical insights of Jacob Bronowski than anti-logic and experimental/observational science as the constitution of this foundation.  Otherwise, all the lessons humanity has learned from the killing of Archimedes through the house arrest of Galileo and plain vagueness mongering of the anti-evolutionists(statictitions) will go in one ear and out the other.

A great quote from a so-so movie Dune I've been reaquainted with,

"without change . . . something sleeps inside us; the sleeper must awaken."

#2 2006-10-13 11:47:36

noosfractal
Website

people have to be willing to live by peer review science

I think people are worried that peer review science will tell them that it would be better if they stopped breathing, or if they gave up their most cherished beliefs that give their lives meaning, etc.

Petitioner: Have mercy!
Ruler: There is nothing I can do.  The population reduction program is supported by peer reviewed science.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#3 2006-10-13 14:42:30

flashgordon

your reasoning is further reasons why an asimovian foundation is the only way to escape the socially supported irrationality that comes from our evolution from a state of nature; i think we have our logical answer over capital punishment!

#4 2006-10-13 16:42:32

noosfractal
Website

an asimovian foundation

but where will you get your Illuminati?  The Yale Skull & Bones Society?

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#5 2006-10-16 09:04:09

canalbuilder2

an asimovian foundation is the only way

A foundation already exists that has taken it's name from Asimov's works.

The name isn't in English though, it's in Arabic. The Arabic for 'the foundation' is 'Al Qaida'.

Board footer