New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-07 08:32:08

Palomar

Re: Comet Machholz - New Comet

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/c … html]Click

*Is now viewable with the unaided eye.  Is "in" Eridanus.  Are predicting it'll be at 4.0 magnitude or a bit higher at its brightest, and is currently a bit brighter than expected.  On December 11 the Moon will be in its New phase (which will be a good time to view the comet, of course, before the Moon begins waxing and etc). 

Machholz, who has found nine other comets, suggests looking for his latest discovery when the Moon is out of the picture, such as around Dec. 11 when it will be at its New phase.

The comet will be closest to Earth on January 5th and 6th, however.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-12-10 07:13:24

Palomar

http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/mach … .jpg]Comet photo (too big to insert as Image)

*Folks at spaceweather.com hosted the above image, which was taken by Mr. Michael Holloway of Arkansas on December 3rd with a 4-inch refractor telescope.  Nice!

Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2) has been nearing Earth for weeks and now it's bright enough to see with the unaided eye. The comet looks like a fuzzy 5th-magnitude star near the feet of Orion. Look for it in the southeastern sky a few hours after sunset

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemeri … html]Daily Ephemeris

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2004/ … th.gif]Sky Map

I'll try for it tonight.  The lower portion of Orion has finally cleared neighboring housetops early enough in the evening (usually I hit the hay around 9:00 p.m.).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2004-12-29 19:49:53

Palomar

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob … asp]Update on this comet

*So far I've had no luck, but we've had an unusually cloudy late autumn/early winter.  :-\  We had the waxing and then full moon as well (even if at apogee, the moon is still something to contend with).  And there's a very bright white streetlight exactly in the wrong spot (right where I need to look for the comet).  I've had dreams of introducing that streetlight to a b.b. from a b.b. gun for years now...

The article includes a reference map.  I am definitely going to try again around Jan 1 and particularly Jan 3, when Machholz is to the right of Aldebaran, nearly in-line with it. 

Good luck to everyone and myself!

--Cindy

P.S.:  Surely some astrophotographers will get pics of the comet near the Pleiades between Jan 7 and 9; what a lovely combination that would be!

#4 2004-12-30 02:26:21

GraemeSkinner
Website

Looking forward to Machholz near the Pleiades, I'm hoping it'll be nice a bright with a good tail by then. The tail is forming all the time, I've not seen the tail myself, but I just managed my first naked eye viewing last night returning from work along a dark back road the clouds cleared enough to give me 10 mins viewing.

If there's a visible tail and its next to the Pleiades it'll be the perfect start to the year.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#5 2004-12-30 20:33:50

Palomar

but I just managed my first naked eye viewing last night returning from work along a dark back road the clouds cleared enough to give me 10 mins viewing.

*Glad to know it.  :up:

Success!  Finally found the little bugger half an hour ago ... and a lot of luck was involved (of course I also reviewed the updated sky map posted in my Dec. 29th post).  A neighbor flipped on their outdoor holiday lights just as I stepped outdoors with my 'scope, so I figured I'd have absolutely zero luck, but might as well try.  After only 2 star-hopping attempts and a bit of sweeping (less than 3 minutes total), I found it.  smile  Is mostly gray, even on highest mag, but with use of peripheral vision the light spreads out of course and I detect a barely green tinge. 

My husband stepped outdoors to see it as well.  He seemed somewhat interested to know the comet will steadily brighten a bit over the coming weeks.

Of course my telescope can't come remotely near to producing the stunning images big 'scopes can, but there's still something about tracking down and finding an object yourself, seeing it through an eyepiece attached to an instrument you're guiding yourself.  This is the only sort of hunting I'll ever enjoy.  wink

Is anyone else observing the comet with binoculars or telescope?

--Cindy

#6 2004-12-30 20:51:34

Yang Liwei Rocket

haven't seen it  sad  if the clouds go away I might be able to spot it

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#7 2004-12-30 22:36:39

GraemeSkinner
Website

Success!  Finally found the little bugger half an hour ago ... and a lot of luck was involved (of course I also reviewed the updated sky map posted in my Dec. 29th post).  A neighbor flipped on their outdoor holiday lights just as I stepped outdoors with my 'scope, so I figured I'd have absolutely zero luck, but might as well try.  After only 2 star-hopping attempts and a bit of sweeping (less than 3 minutes total), I found it.  smile  Is mostly gray, even on highest mag, but with use of peripheral vision the light spreads out of course and I detect a barely green tinge. 
My husband stepped outdoors to see it as well.  He seemed somewhat interested to know the comet will steadily brighten a bit over the coming weeks.
Of course my telescope can't come remotely near to producing the stunning images big 'scopes can, but there's still something about tracking down and finding an object yourself, seeing it through an eyepiece attached to an instrument you're guiding yourself.  This is the only sort of hunting I'll ever enjoy.  wink
Is anyone else observing the comet with binoculars or telescope?

I'll be hunting it with my small scope, which is unguided too I'm happy to say - its part of the fun tracking an object yourself, I always carry binoculars with me for when I'm out and about so I'll be trying those too. Would be nice to have a motorized scope for better astrophotos, but that can wait. If the comet brightens enough I'll be using an unguided camera with 150mm lens to photograph the comet.

I've put together the next couple of weeks positions for Machholz for anyone thats interested.

machholzjanuary.gif

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#8 2004-12-31 09:21:09

Palomar

*Nice sky map, Graeme.  Definitely complements the sky map in the Dec. 29 post (which is a bit too narrow).

I'll be hunting it with my small scope, which is unguided too I'm happy to say - its part of the fun tracking an object yourself

Yeah, I once had a larger telescope (long story) with tracking option.  I declined the option (though I could afford it), preferring to star-hop instead.  Of course much larger 'scopes would be cumbersome and tracking would be desireable in that situation.  But for small to medium 'scopes -- I'd much rather do hands on.  Become one with the telescope.   :;):

YL Rocket:  Good luck -- you'll find it soon, I'm sure.  I admit it took a bit more patience to find Machholz than I'd anticipated it would.  :-\  Hopefully the clouds in your area will quickly dissipate and clear weather will prevail. 

Also, I noticed the quality of viewing the comet is overall better with medium to low-powered eyepieces; and actually my lowest powered eyepiece gave the best view. 

--Cindy

#9 2005-01-01 09:37:17

GraemeSkinner
Website

The following link was posted to uk.sci.astronomy which I visit the image from 31/12/04 shows two tails. http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/machholz.html]Link

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#10 2005-01-03 16:44:22

Palomar

*Heres]http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/02jan05/candy1.jpg]*Here's another image of the two tails (nice)...

...and an explanation courtesy of spaceweather.com:

The long wispy filament on one side of the comet is its gas tail (also known as the ion tail). The stubby jet about 120o away is its dust tail. Comets have two tails because they're made of two things: ice and dust. Sunlight vaporizes the dirty ice, spewing gas and dust into space. The gas is pushed straight away from the sun by the solar wind. The weightier dust resists solar wind pressure and simply lingers behind the comet, tracing its orbit--hence the two tails.

Past couple of nights have been cloudy and rainy.  Will try again tonight.  Want to see those two tails for myself.  wink

--Cindy

#11 2005-01-05 10:43:57

GraemeSkinner
Website

Had half an hours good viewing last night (from the balcony at work) Nice clear view of the comet, hope the tails brighten up though!

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#12 2005-01-06 06:58:29

Palomar

Had half an hours good viewing last night (from the balcony at work) Nice clear view of the comet, hope the tails brighten up though!

Graeme

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/0 … g]Machholz and The Pleiades

*Really nice shot.  Tomorrow evening (the 7th), they'll be only 2 degrees apart.  Spaceweather.com is calling for more astrophotos.  One was posted there yesterday, but the overall quality isn't as good as the one above -- taken on Jan 5th by Mr. Pete Lawrence of Selsey, UK.

Unfortunately our weather has still been overcast; unusually so.  Stepped out last night in the hopes of seeing it near the Pleiades, but thin clouds obscurred the view and even brighter stars (Aldebaran, Betelguese, Rigel, Castor and Pollux) were very dim.  :-\  Night before last there was an illness in the family and I was essentially house-bound. 

Hopefully tonight and the 7th!  I really want to see Machholz again, and especially so near the Pleiades. 

--Cindy

#13 2005-01-06 07:22:28

GraemeSkinner
Website

Looks like Science@NASA used a similar image from Pete Lawrence but turned it 90 degrees. http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005 … 90714]LINK

I've not had time to get the camera out  sad  will have to try this weekend, though my shifts are all over the place so fitting work/weather/time into a manageable combination to get photos could be impossible, thats why I carry the binoculars around with me (and if it looks like its going to be a good night I'll get the scope out) at least I get to see it, if not in the same detail as these pics.

Graeme

EDIT: just seen this image http://www.astronomike.net/photos/q/q2d … .jpg]image link posted in uk.sci.astro very nice and worth a look.

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#14 2005-01-06 14:09:57

Palomar

*Excellent animation!  One hour's time, taken on January 4.  Hosted by spaceweather.com.

baskill1.gif

"Comet Machholz is speeding around our solar system," says photographer Darren Baskill of Leicester, UK. "It is moving across the sky at a rate of 30 arcmins (one full Moon diameter) in just 6 hours! This animation shows the comet's motion in only one hour on January 4th."

The Brits are being more attentive to this comet than folks on this side of "the pond" it seems.   :;):

--Cindy

#15 2005-01-07 15:37:41

Palomar

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005 … htm]Update for TONIGHT -- Jan 7

*Gives directions to the Pleiades, for folks who don't know where the Pleiades are -- but most people do and it's a popular asterism.  Also discusses why the comet is green (poison gas) and a bit of information about the Pleiades themselves.  Interesting bit of trivia:  Machholz's coma is at least 3 times wider than the planet Jupiter.  :up:

Sometimes Machholz looks more blue than green to me in photos.  :hm:  In my telescope it had a definite green tinge to it, though.

I couldn't take my 'scope out last evening because of a 24-hour stomach flu.  sad  Am planning on driving out to a dark location tonight; hopefully we'll see it unaided-eye as well.

--Cindy

#16 2005-01-10 14:05:26

Palomar

*Machholz will be cruising close to Algol this weekend, and apparently over a 2-night viewing Algol will have increased one magnitude brighter as well:

Saturday, January 15 - Ready for another weekend treat? Then realize for the next two nights, the "Magnificent Machholz" will race closely past a previous study star - Algol!

As we remember, Algol is a fascinating variable and for most of us it will be at minima (magnitude 3.4) tonight. Using our binoculars, we will find the 4th magnitude Comet Machholz about 2 degrees to the lower right of the "Demon Star". Although the Moon will hamper tracing the tail for most, try de-focusing and comparing magnitudes...If skies permit, return again tomorrow to the Machholz/Algol pairing - Beta Persi has now jumped to a magnitude brighter and the comet has moved even closer and to its lower left

Found that information at universetoday.com.

--Cindy

#17 2005-01-11 07:52:59

Palomar

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/1 … g]Pleiades:  Comet Wrangling  :laugh:

"Yee-haaaw!  Hey girls, let's lasso us a comet!"   :;):

The Pleiades are the 7 Sisters, you know.  Truly lovely photo -- best yet. 

--Cindy

#18 2005-01-13 09:21:42

GraemeSkinner
Website

http://www.bellatrixobservatory.org/pic … ]Bellatrix Observatory Picture of the week

The tail cuts through M45 - its another WOW image  :band:

Will have to edit the link, after the week is up!

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#19 2005-01-14 12:13:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

#20 2005-01-14 12:31:44

Palomar

*Nice! 

Should make some more pretty pictures with Machholz moving against the backdrop of that portion of the Milky Way -- even if those areas of the MW are a bit slender.  :up:

Finding it in Perseus will be a bit more of a challenge.  It's definitely headed north, LOL.

[I enjoy looking at star charts "aka" sky maps as much as I do the real stars...does that make me weird?   :;): ]

--Cindy

#21 2005-01-17 08:16:25

Palomar

*This week is Machholz's closest approach to Earth:  52 million km. 

Anyone ever read The Cometeers?   :;):  http://www.space.com/businesstechnology … 17.html]Oh those green comets...  :laugh:

--Cindy

#22 2005-01-30 20:40:34

Palomar

*Comet is now at magnitude 5.  Good photo opportunities between January 28 - 31.  Also, it's beginning to move away from Milky Way regions. 

First 10 days of February will be without moonlight, so should be best viewing. 

On February 7 Machholz "should" occult RZ Cassiopeiae; details below:

Machholz shines on

Visible to the naked eye from dark sites, Comet C/2004 Q2 (Machholz) will head for the pole. As it moves away from the brighter background sky of the Milky Way in Perseus and Cassiopeia, this round fuzzball should be easier to see. The 5th-magnitude comet will give us a nice wide-field photo-op between January 28 and 31, when it crosses an area of glowing gas clouds.

The first 10 days of February should be best because the Moon's light won't bathe the evening sky. Sweep with binoculars to the upper right of Cassiopeia's M outline. If you're having trouble seeing the comet, it may be that you're not waiting long enough to dark-adapt - it typically takes more than 20 minutes before your eyes fully adjust to the darkness.

There are no easy star patterns to latch onto in this rather sparse area of northern Cassiopeia and Camelopardalis unless you're a variable star observer. Comet Machholz should eclipse the well-known eclipsing binary RZ Cassiopeiae the evening of February 7. In an eclipsing binary system, the fainter star regularly moves in front of the brighter one, causing the pair to dim. In the case of RZ Cas, the pair fades from magnitude 6.2 to 7.7 in about 2.5 hours.

I can't get the sky map to lift, to just link to it.  [::EDIT::  Attempts to link with the web page via e-mail (an account I rarely use) didn't work).  :-\  -sigh- ]

Unfortunately I doubt I'll see Machholz again; the majority of my city's lights are to the north and there are no good/safe roads (except a major interstate) going north in this desert. 

--Cindy

#23 2005-01-31 09:02:03

Palomar

I can't get the sky map to lift, to just link to it.  [::EDIT::  Attempts to link with the web page via e-mail (an account I rarely use) didn't work).  :-\  -sigh- ]

*Spaceweather.com to the rescue again! 

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2005/ … th.gif]Sky map:  Machholz and Cassiopeia

A recent photo (spectacular tail!):

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/3 … g]Machholz:  Jan 27; M. Holloway of Arkansas

Additional recent images are also being hosted at spaceweather.com. 

--Cindy

#24 2005-02-01 08:46:09

Palomar

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/3 … g]Machholz & Perseus Double Cluster

*Splendid photo.  Machholz is so pretty -- what a remarkable blue/green.  Am glad I had the opportunity to see it in my own telescope.  Its tail is not evident in this photo.

According to an article at universetoday.com ("What's Up This Week - Jan 31 - Feb 6, 2005"), Machholz has made its closest approach to Sol and is "heading for the outer limits."  Will soon begin to "shrink and fade."  Bon voyage...

--Cindy

#25 2005-02-05 04:27:08

GraemeSkinner
Website

It was good while it lasted, I can not believe how lucky we were with its path (M45 is my favourite night sky object outside of planetary observing big_smile ) So, in 12 months time I'd like two comets please, both naked eye, with Mars in the same frame of a photo.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

Board footer