New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-22 06:34:58

Palomar

Re: Geminid Meteor Shower

*Here come the Geminids!  Peak activity will be December 13-14.

From spaceweather.com:

The 2004 Geminid meteor shower will peak on Dec. 13th. The moon will be almost-new and skies will be dark, revealing dozens to hundreds of bright meteors.

And it'll be cold out of course...but will try to catch it.  Spaceweather.com promises updates; I'll post at least one or two of them.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-12-01 08:53:19

Palomar

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob … _1.asp]The Geminids:  An Exception to the Rule

*Looks like they'll be going gangbusters.  Article says these meteors are growing in intensity every year.

Discusses 3200 Phaeton (the source) and speculation as to its true nature.

Moon will be in crescent phase (2 days) and will set early, so night will be nice and dark for the event.  They're anticipating approximately 75 Geminids per hour.  Nice description of Geminids provided, and a photo. 

Rates increase steadily for several days before maximum, then drop off quickly. The meteors that do appear after maximum, however, tend to be especially bright.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2004-12-12 18:28:08

Palomar

*Here come the Geminids!  Peak activity will be December 13-14.

*Peak activity is coming, and I'll be out there -- our weather actually warmed up a bit.  I would have posted this earlier in the day but have been super-busy and offline. 

On the 11th and 12th, meteor watchers reported seeing lots of them, and a few bright ones every hour.  http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/gal … tm]Geminid Meteor Gallery  (this is updated as pics are submitted).

If your weather is lousy, you can listen via http://www.roswellastronomyclub.com/rad … htm]meteor radar!  :up:

Will go out tonight as well.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  (A couple of hours later):  Just came indoors.  Saw 6 Geminids in approximately 15 minutes.  First was bright, long and gold -- shot towards Orion's belt.  Second was somewhat bright, shooting across Orion's chest.  Other 4 were rather dim and very brief.

Board footer