New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-07-10 07:10:02

cjchandler

Re: Idea for a small artificial gravity device

This link shows a powerful superconducting solenoid using the diamagnetic properties of frogs and organic materials to balance out gravity. The explanation says that it suspends them by pushing each atom up at the same rate gravity pulls it down to create weightlessness, or the illusion of weightlessness.

http://www.hfml.ru.nl/froglev.html

So, In zero G this could push a frog out of a powerful solenoid sort of like a coil gun. Or one could cover the aperture of the solenoid and the frog could be pushed against the floor at one Gee. Therefore a large bore solenoid could hold a man in simulated gravity. Granted this would have limited usefulness as the magnet would have to be absolutely huge and the person could probably only stand in it, so they would probably only be able to sleep and rest in 1 Gee. However, think a 16 tesla bitter magnet could redirect most cosmic rays and perhaps help as a magsail, though its usefulness would be limited by the lower surface area. So if you are bringing a large magnet with you, this might be an acceptable way to keep up your astronaut's strength. Of course if you only wanted to simulate Martian gravity that magnet wouldn't have to be as big.

Ad astra per aspera!

#2 2006-07-10 09:06:47

GCNRevenger

The strength of a magnetic field falls off with the square of the distance, so making one powerful enough to fit a human in would be insanely powerful for 0.1G much less 0.3-1.0G. A magentic sail would use a magnet with a different geometry anyway.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2006-07-13 07:06:12

psuguru
Banned

A Frog Gun?

Cool!

You Mark My Words:
No Good Will Come Of This

Board footer