New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-06-20 11:44:12

daverock4

Re: what`s really on Mars

I`m no Scientist but everytime i go on a site which purports to have found something significant on Mars, there is always another one to contradict it - often on the same site !     I know that Scientists disagree to some extent but can anyone, AT LAST,  tell me if the Martian poles are made up of water: how thick they are, does it really snow Co2 in winter there, are there really glaciers in the equatorial regions:  and how does water behave on Mars...?   can liquid water really run ??   Does it explode ?   Does it drift away into space ?  are there clouds of water ?   could there really be loads of water a few feet under ground ?  and why did it not evaporate with the rest ?    Or is all this "proof" really just conjecture to keep our suspense and interest ?    There is oviously something white and reflective on the poles but what exactly is it all about ?  Thank you.

#2 2006-06-20 16:16:03

llad
Banned

The Martian poles are made of both CO2 and water ice.  The water ice is pemanent,  stacked in layers; and reaches a thickness of ~9000' in the North and ~10,000' in the South.  Yes, it does appear that it snows CO2 at the poles.

I would strongly recommend that you read A Travelers' Guide to Mars by William Hartmann. .  It is well written for the layman and should answer nearly all the questions that you ask.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076112 … oding=UTF8

#3 2006-08-10 18:23:04

SRAM
Banned

I believe that inside of MARS there is an abundance of water and life.

SRAM

[b]JESUS IS GOD[/b]

Board footer