New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-06-28 08:25:45

Palomar

Re: Mars - Earth Close Encounter

*Yep, we're zipping towards Mars at a speed of 23,000 mph.  The closest part of the encounter will occur in October.  Mars is currently very bright in the eastern pre-dawn sky.  I've seen it nearly every cloudless morning.  Pretty reddish jewel.

-*-

On June 29 it'll appear to be close to the Moon.

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2005/ … ne.gif]Sky Map

-*-

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/2 … jpg]Recent astrophotos of Mars

Taken June 17 by D. Parker of Florida.  16-inch reflector telescope (oooooo that's enviable!!!).  Images are inverted; the South Pole Cap is bright and easily seen.  Spaceweather.com writer says the SPC will be easily seen through smaller scopes as well.  I need to get my telescope out on it; have just been doing a bit of unaided-eye viewing in the pre-dawn hours (got to get to work, can't dally).  But then just about -any- amateur scope has a mirror diameter of less than 16" so I'm not sure what the limit is on seeing the SPC.  My 'scope probably won't show it, but in October...who knows? 

All info and links/pics are hosted at spaceweather.com.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-06-28 11:12:44

Josh Cryer

Are they going to occlude this year? Don't think so from what you wrote.

Looks wonderful, though. Hope there's another opportunity for my icon. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#3 2005-06-28 11:56:51

Palomar

Are they going to occlude this year? Don't think so from what you wrote.

Looks wonderful, though. Hope there's another opportunity for my icon. smile

*There's been no mention of an occultation of Mars by Luna for June 29.

And yeah, those pics (your avatar) were terrific.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2005-07-08 15:12:28

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … l]Internet rumors about this event

*Dispelling a few notions...

--Cindy

#5 2005-07-12 10:52:41

Palomar

*Yep, we're zipping towards Mars at a speed of 23,000 mph.  The closest part of the encounter will occur in October.  Mars is currently very bright in the eastern pre-dawn sky.  I've seen it nearly every cloudless morning.  Pretty reddish jewel.

-*-

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2005/ … ne.gif]Sky Map

-*-

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/2 … jpg]Recent astrophotos of Mars

Taken June 17 by D. Parker of Florida.  16-inch reflector telescope (oooooo that's enviable!!!).  Images are inverted; the South Pole Cap is bright and easily seen.

Heres]http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/11jul05/owens1.jpg]Here's another

*Taken July 8 by L. Owens of Georgia.  14-inch telescope used.  Image is being hosted by spaceweather.com.  Can definitely see the off-center SP cap.  Photo inverted, of course (telescopes do that, unless you get a special attachment for the eyepiece holder...).

--Cindy

#6 2005-07-23 14:36:58

Palomar

*Of course we're continually getting closer to Mars and private folks are taking photos:

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/2 … ]Mountains of Mitchell visible in pic

...just barely, though; and dang it, the arrow superimposed on the photo at spaceweather.com's home page didn't carry over after clicking it.

http://www.spaceweather.com

That site updates/archives daily, though some items may remain on the front page for a day or two.  It'll eventually archive, though.

Photo by E. Grafton of TX, taken July 22. 

Note the tall Mountains of Mitchell, which remain white and icy even as the polar cap recedes around them.

The MoM are located at the extreme right-hand side of what white there is.

--Cindy

#7 2005-08-05 09:42:03

Palomar

*Amateur astronomers/astrophotographers continue taking advantage of this event.

friedman1.jpg

Four Martian volcanoes visible (barely).  The photo is inverted; the southern pole cap is up.  Can barely see pointers and names (had to put my monitor on high).  Olympus Mons, Ascraeus Mons, Pavonis Mons and Arsia Mons are evident.

Can see how southern pole cap isn't centered. 

Photo was taken by A. Friedman of NY, using a 10" 'scope, July 31. 

--Cindy

#8 2005-08-05 14:45:54

Josh Cryer

When I saw that picture, my stomach knoted up. It's like, wow. Reminded me of a childhood moment stargazing. Beautiful. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#9 2005-08-13 14:13:38

Rxke

Fark, maaaan!  :shock:
With a 10" er no less.

Beautiful.

Got an old, mediocre 6" Newton, collecting dust... Seems tempting....

#10 2005-08-13 14:29:23

Palomar

Fark, maaaan!  :shock:
With a 10" er no less.

Beautiful.

Got an old, mediocre 6" Newton, collecting dust... Seems tempting....

*Well dust it off and get out there with it!  big_smile  Mars is looking really good in my 4.5" reflector.  You've got 1.5" more light-gathering capability with that telescope.  Go for it.  big_smile

Josh:  I'm glad you liked that photo. 

--Cindy

#11 2005-08-13 14:33:12

Rxke

it's raining.
Again.
lol

#12 2005-08-13 14:46:51

Palomar

it's raining.
Again.
lol

*Excuses, excuses.  roll  Sheesh.

wink

We're in our monsoon season currently.  Mars has been playing peek-a-boo with the clouds and there's another event I'm missing as well.  At least the clouds could rain to make the aggravation worthwhile, LOL.  tongue

But eventually the weather will clear (358 sunny days a year on average) and I'll have my 'scope out again in no time.  I've got a Barlow lens now, which I didn't have during the last "close encounter" between Mars and Earth a few years ago.  I should be able to make out more features and etc.; hopefully, anyway.

--Cindy

#13 2005-08-13 15:08:18

Rxke

Sigh. I think in Belgium it's more like 358 cloudy days per year.

FWIW: the weather cets compared a lot with New York weather... Oh, and no doubt the light-pollution is as bad, too. Waaaay too much highways with waaaay too much lighting. The sky in Belgium has a distinct orange hue, wherever you go....

#14 2005-08-14 21:59:54

Palomar

*Another swell astrophoto of Mars:

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2005/13aug05/owens.jpg

Interesting info:

MARTIAN STREAMERS: What is happening at the south pole of Mars? On August 12th, Larry Owens of Atlanta, Georgia, looked through his 14-inch telescope and spotted some curious streaks near the planet's polar ice cap.

The image plainly shows a streamer of clouds or dust coming from the South Polar Cap (SPC)," says Owens. "As one member of the Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers suggested, it appears to be aligned with a polar rift, and has possibly resulted from winds blowing through the rift."

If that hypothesis is correct, the streamers should vanish when winds subside. Or they might change shape as the springtime sun in the south of Mars causes the rift to widen.

Cool.  smile  All hosted by spaceweather.com

--Cindy

#15 2005-08-16 11:43:20

Rxke

They predict reasonable clear skies tonight, and I actually got to dusting off the Newton.
But, and this will sound pretty weird...

I'm scared to try it, and find out it gives a good view.
I'm pretty sure the view will confuse/disturb me. I am really that crazy that viewing Mars, knowing it's out of reach depresses me mightily.

Weird eh?

#16 2005-08-16 12:13:33

Palomar

They predict reasonable clear skies tonight, and I actually got to dusting off the Newton.
But, and this will sound pretty weird...

I'm scared to try it, and find out it gives a good view.
I'm pretty sure the view will confuse/disturb me. I am really that crazy that viewing Mars, knowing it's out of reach depresses me mightily.

Weird eh?

*I understand that sentiment to a point.  But good luck and enjoy it.  Remind yourself that astronomers centuries ago would have given their right arm to have the telescope you'll be using and simply to SEE Mars as you'll view it in the eyepiece.  We in the modern era are so fortunate; --daily-- we see and read things which scientists/astronomers, etc., of old couldn't have imagined in their wildest dreams and speculations.  Hopefully your weather will cooperate.  big_smile

--Cindy

#17 2005-08-23 19:13:17

Palomar

*Here's a bit of info telescope owners might be able to use:

With a 4" telescope and good conditions, you should be able to see large surface features, bright clouds, and the haze in the Martian atmosphere. Perhaps there will be a large dust storm, or you'll witness the polar caps change. With a 6" to 10" telescope, the features will remain pretty much the same, but you'll be able to follow them longer as Mars begins to shrink again. Larger scopes will pick out even more subtle features.

A bit of additional info for "newbies" who might drop by this thread:

At first, your views may not be very exciting, but don't stop watching.  The Red Planet's closest approach to Earth occurs at 04:21 UT on October 30th reaching its maximum diameter until November 6th.  Of all the worlds we can observe, Mars is the most "Earth-like" with its changing seasons and polar caps. To the unaided eye, it will appear like a bright reddish star, but will lose its color to a faded orange in the eyepiece. Just like the Moon, it's many features have been mapped and there are several on-line sites to help you get the most out of your Mars experience. Enjoy!

The above info from universetoday.com's "What's Up This Week [8-22 to 8/28]" edition.

And no Mars won't appear as big in the sky as a full moon.  Folks dropping by New Mars are asking.  Hopefully a few will see this and have that question answered.

--Cindy  smile

#18 2005-09-20 04:14:34

Palomar

*This from spaceweather.com:

AMAZING MARS: Ready to be amazed? Step outside tonight at 10 p.m. and look east. Just below the moon, you'll see Mars. It's very bright. Now consider this: Between now and Oct. 30th, the bright red planet, approaching Earth, is going to double in brightness again.  See Mars tonight; imagine it in October. Amazing!

--Cindy

#19 2005-09-21 06:22:03

Palomar

Most recent sky map

*Hosted by spaceweather.com.

--Cindy

#20 2005-09-23 06:47:15

Palomar

You want the Mars close encounter?

*Vertiable smorgasboard of info.  Some is repeat, some is not -- just about everything anyone wants to know is provided in multiple links and etc.

--Cindy

#21 2005-09-23 11:20:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars Set to Reverse Course

050923_mars_retrograde_01.jpg

During this week, Mars' distance from Earth will diminish to less than 50 million miles (80 million kilometers).

Enlightenment

It was not until the year 1543 when the great Polish astronomer, Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) had his lifelong work "De revolutionibus" published, that the secret of the odd retrograde loops were finally revealed.  By demoting the Earth from its hallowed position at the center of the solar system and replacing it with the Sun, he was able to triumphantly explain the riddle of the apparent "backwards motion effect" of the planets.

About the same time as the world is not flat was discovered... lol

#22 2005-09-24 13:31:11

Palomar

*Stepped outside around 5:00 a.m. today.  Mars is, of course, bright and very pretty (soft orange glow).

Amateur astronomer pics continue to be posted at spaceweather.com (all pics/info here are from that site):

North is DOWN

They did rotate the photo for the web site.  What's the blue haze?  --

Winter is beginning at the Martian north pole, and icy-blue clouds are gathering there. The vast cloud bank is easily seen through 10-inch and larger telescopes. Ralf Vandebergh of the Netherlands took this close-up picture of the so-called "North Polar Hood" on August 18th

Excellent.  smile

-*-

All photos are South Up:

From J. Warren of TX [Sept. 21]  Really nice.

From A. Friedman, NY [Sept. 18]

--Cindy

#23 2005-09-25 04:57:00

Rxke

That one of Friedman... Is that doctored or ... Looks too good to be true.

#24 2005-10-08 06:19:02

Palomar

*Hi Rik.  Don't know. 

Here's a comparison:

Double Mars

Image to the left taken July 20, image to the right taken October 3.  What a difference.  From same guy as you're questioning, A. Friedman.

Check out info on the "Gomer Sinus":

"The red planet has come more than 56 million kilometers closer to Earth since July," notes Friedman. "The 'paint drip' feature near the center of both images is called the 'Gomer sinus.' It is a landmark for Mars observers--an identifiable feature that stands out in the eyepiece and helps identify which end is up." In July the Gomer sinus was barely visible, now it's clear and distinct.

Photos and caption are being hosted by spaceweather.com

--Cindy

#25 2005-10-08 16:00:20

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

Board footer