New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-03-05 13:19:33

Dayton Kitchens

Re: Bimodal Nuclear Thermal Rocket, VASIMR, MPD, & MTF Propulsio

Bimodal Nuclear Rocket

VASIMR-Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket-developed by Franklin Chang-Diaz and often mentioned for propelling a manned Mars mission

MPD-Magneto Plasma Dynamic

&

MTF- Magnetized Targeted Fusion

are four propulson concepts mentioned on the HOPE website (Human Outer Planets Exploration) that could potentially propel manned missions to  Jupiter and beyond.

Which of these propulsion concepts is the closest to reality and which would be best in terms of payload and minimizing mission time?

#2 2006-03-05 21:11:00

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Well a bi-modal nuclear thermal rocket is the closest in terms of technical readiness. We've built and flown NTRs before, and basically the bimodal rocket is an ntr with a secondary working fluid loop that spins a turbo-alternato to provide electrical power.

VASIMR has some physics problems with it, as well as having some scaling issues. Lets not forget the enormous power requirement.

MPD: No idea, not flight test

MTF: lets see what happens after we have the national ignition facility up and running for a few years.

#3 2006-03-06 06:52:57

GCNRevenger

MPD and VASIMR are similar engines, with the "M" in VASIMR being magnetoplasma. VASIMR is special because its adjustable, with both a high thrust and a high efficiency setting. Neither VASIMR or regular MPD engines are practical for manned travel because of their really voracious power demand; there isn't a good way to generate that kind of output without weighing (and slowing) down your ship yet.

MTF: I have serious doubts. Too much has to go just right, and how much thrust will it produce?

Conventional solid-core NTR rockets are only a marginal improvement, they can increase payload by 50% or maybe cut a month (perhaps two) off the trip, but they are not a be-all/end-all solution.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#4 2006-07-07 09:11:42

cjchandler

MPD thrusters besides consuming huge amounts of power also have major problems with electrode erosion due to the hihgly ionized exhasut and huge amp levels. However ther have been a few flight tests and many vacum chanber tests.

Ad astra per aspera!

Board footer