New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2006-01-29 20:47:41

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

Re: Quality of Life on Mars

What willl life be on the Martian colony ?  How will it be different from Earth.  How will it be the same ?

Water may be rare, but how rare ?  Rare enough to reclaim it from the bodies of the dead ?

Population Control may be critical.  Forced abortions, sterilizations ?

An unbalanced (or mentally ill) personality (like clark) could present a danger to the entire community, and incarceration may be an inordinate drain on community resources.  Death penalty for Mental Illness ?

How rare will breathable O2 be ?  Rare enough to withhold from malingerers ?  O2 rationing ?

What about Martian politics ?  Do you vote for the candidate that promises an equal distribution of oxygen as being "of the people" or against that candidate for being a communist ?

Or is a Democratic system of self-governance even feasible on Mars ?

How about a "class" system, where higher-class decision makers get a greater percentage of oxygen than do lower-class works' with an airlock system separating the two ?

What kind of manual labor will there be ?  Will there be a need for uneducated labor ?

#2 2006-01-30 06:40:15

clark

purple.

#3 2006-01-30 07:18:27

RIZ4ROCKET
Banned

As I recall from Zubrin's book, it may be possible to create methane from resources already available on Mars.  What other natural resources are available, and what can be made from them.

What necessary resources are NOT available, an how will Mars acquire them ?

Will a scarcity of certain resources be the means by which Earth maintains control of Martian colonies ?

#4 2006-01-30 08:02:29

cIclops

As I recall from Zubrin's book, it may be possible to create methane from resources already available on Mars.  What other natural resources are available, and what can be made from them.

What necessary resources are NOT available, an how will Mars acquire them ?

Will a scarcity of certain resources be the means by which Earth maintains control of Martian colonies ?

Every material resource is available on Mars, that's what makes it the second most desirable location in the Solar system. The main problem is not resources but the extremely thin atmosphere which allows too much radiation through and does not retain enough heat - and of course is unbreathable.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#5 2006-01-30 08:42:29

clark

orange.

#6 2006-01-30 12:29:14

Earthfirst

Azul, Forced murder of living beings, so you must by pro choice to murder the kids. Sounds to me that you want to live in a world like china. Why not forced work camps, and a protien bank made from lazy folk.
You want to go to mars and make your own hell, save your self the trip and move to China.
Why go to Mars to recreate the city on the hill and end up with a dump? All you think about is how much O2 a person will use, or how much food will they eat in a year. Why get so up tight if some married people who love follow his order to fill the world with people. If the world is Mars or Earth Gods order still stands, so if some people want to have 2,3, or up 12 kids no mater just make some more green houses to grow food for them, O2 form the plants or water spilting. Mars has lots of resources, best of all no people. So when the first pople move there, they wont have to care about resources. Mars could easly support millions to billions of people. Most of Mars could end up cover in miles of green houses and domed citys. In way way Terraforming is not needed, We could just cover Mars usable surfaces with domes or large roofed areas.
Mable just a new magnetic shield to protect Mars form solar flares is needed.
In your imaginary world you want to turn Mars into your own little control world, where if so one has more than one kid they have to murder any that come after that, just sick.
When and if people go to settle Mars it will be with better ideas, tech, then we can think of today. For them feeding and providing air wont be a problem. If they could not hanndle Mars people wont move there in the first place.
Mars has lots of land area in fact Mars surface area is close to that of earth dry land area. On earth we only use a small % of dry land to grow food for billions. Given that Mars has the same resources to grow food, H2O, CO2, and N, P, K.  easy to mine. Mars could easly support millions, oof crouse with work and lots of enclosed greenhouses. Of crouse that is if people can handle the low gravity, childern born on Mars might never be able to vist Earth. Given that they would be weak, and any earth born person could throw them around like a basketball on mars

I love plants!

#7 2006-01-30 12:32:34

clark

spandex.

#8 2006-01-30 13:19:49

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Everyone will wear ultra tight jumpsuits that are color coded to your duty and you will talk to one another by crazy jewlery that doubles as cellphones.

Sex with aliens will be frowned upon, but still very convinent since nearly every alien a human has sex with dies in an unlikley accident shortly afterwords....

#9 2006-01-30 13:45:51

clark

mmmmm. apple fritter's.

#10 2006-01-30 14:18:54

Earthfirst

I hate apple fritters, the spice in them gives me an upset fealing.
I due like pumkin pie, bismarks, and fruit pies, mmmm.
Cant go wrong with cake donuts covered in sprinkes and maple frosting.
As for crazy jewery you use as a cell phone, today youth use them too much. I dont like all the EM wave those things give off. Its like being year high voltage power lines, you can feel the power of all the energy in your hair.
As for sleeping with aliens, no problem they are just human actors playing aliens any ways. It would be could to be a centar with wings, and fly around drouping hourse dropping on peoples cars. Can you imagine the breeding of and alien+horse+brid+human. It would cool to if you could change your skin color at will, Like blue skin when you are sad, Red skim when mad, Sliver skin, and gold hair. Add some horns and you got the making of a great alien.
Would Cap Krick tap that alien, or would Cap Picard. In Star trek world they ar so PC that seeing their Cap making out with an alien female centar with wings and horns with sliver skin and gold hair would not bother them at all. What a wonderful world for freaks. I would be the one in TerraPrime planing to enslave the aliens, to get cheap labour for the walmarts that will cover the alien worlds some day.

I love plants!

#11 2006-01-30 14:28:18

clark

bling-bling.

Board footer