New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2006-01-09 13:43:37

Palomar

Re: "Point" Meteor

*Something I've not yet witnessed:

oye_strip_lab.jpg

Meteors are supposed to be long streaks of light, but occasionally one comes straight at you and it looks like a point. Geir Oye captured this rare image of a "point meteor" on Jan. 3rd during the annual Quadrantid meteor shower.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2006-01-09 15:07:10

Commodore

:shock:
RUN!!!

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#3 2006-01-10 05:46:46

Palomar

:shock:
RUN!!!

*LOL!  big_smile  Yeah.  The original caption at spaceweather.com mentioned the photographer wasn't hit.  I wonder how many point meteors are observed per year, on average.  Hmmmmmm...time to Google.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer