New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-12-12 19:32:44

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: Mars underground

Whats going on with The Mars Undergound...  website hasn't changed in awhile
figured this would be the place to go, since I haven't stopped by in about a year, looking at some of my last posts...

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#2 2005-12-12 23:30:08

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Whats going on with The Mars Undergound...  website hasn't changed in awhile
figured this would be the place to go, since I haven't stopped by in about a year, looking at some of my last posts...

That's a good question, I did some looking around the other day and I couldn't find anything about a release date, although for some reason the sound track is avalible....go figure.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd like to know looks like an intersting movie, but as much as I respect Dr. Zubrin I don't particularly like the fact that this movie looks like it paints him as the patron saint of Mars.

#3 2005-12-13 06:49:13

jabe
Banned

At the rexcent mars society conference in august http://www.marssociety.org/news/2005/0812.asp the movie was shown

Tizania was then followed by a special premier presentation of the powerful new two-hour documentary movie, “The Mars Underground,” (www.themarsunderground.com) making a strong case for the feasibility and vision of human Mars exploration and settlement, and keeping the audience riveted to their seats until well past 11 PM.

and if memory serves me right the web site said it would post a review shortly..but haven't seen one yet...  So not sure if that was an oversight or a sign of a bad movie..hope it is the former.  There have been enough "bad" mars movies made...

cheers

jb

#4 2005-12-13 08:30:37

GCNRevenger

"If anyone knows anything about this I'd like to know looks like an intersting movie, but as much as I respect Dr. Zubrin I don't particularly like the fact that this movie looks like it paints him as the patron saint of Mars."

Swell

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#5 2005-12-14 20:30:51

BWhite

"If anyone knows anything about this I'd like to know looks like an intersting movie, but as much as I respect Dr. Zubrin I don't particularly like the fact that this movie looks like it paints him as the patron saint of Mars."

Swell

I started a novel several years back tenatively titled "St Bob's Day" - - I intended it to cover a single Marsian sol at a small colony, 24 hours and 46 minutes or whatever - - and the day in question was the anniversary of Robert Zubrin's birth, a colony holiday.  :shock:

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#6 2005-12-21 18:57:24

Marsman
Website

I think Discovery Channel are going to be showing this next year sometime, and it might be available on DVD at some point after that, although my MS Chief out here has a copy, so check with your MS leaders they might have a copy also.

welcome to [url=http://www.marsdrive.net]www.marsdrive.net[/url]

#7 2006-02-01 20:59:59

Yang Liwei Rocket

I think Discovery Channel are going to be showing this next year sometime

I'll try and see it then

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#8 2006-11-10 12:11:19

cIclops

It's available now on DVD  - be sure to checkout the trailer at this cool site ... nice gfx and Zubrin at 109% max power.

The screener can be ordered here

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#9 2007-05-07 21:19:56

X

Is this the same Mars Underground that the Science Channel is running this week?

#10 2007-05-08 09:03:42

cIclops

Yes .. also showing is Roving Mars

Space Week on the Science Channel

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#11 2007-05-09 20:25:18

X

I was a bit underwhelmed.  I'd heard most of that back when I read The Case for Mars.  That's one of the best things about this site.  It offers so much more stuff I've never heard of before about all this.  It helps keep you interested and excited about the whole thing.

#12 2007-05-10 03:28:34

cIclops

Catch the video if you can, it's the best presentation of Mars Direct and the background to the Mars Society around. Great animations of the Mars Direct and the Design Reference Mission concepts. It's let down by the dreary drone of the narrator, thankfully Zubrin provides the antidote. The video does a superb job of selling Mars exploration but then oversells terraforming, a shame it almost totally undersells robotic exploration. All that said, it's a must see for all future Martians!

How much of a connection was there between Zubrin and the VSE? The script  strongly suggests he was the driving force.

#13 2007-05-10 09:10:55

Dayton Kitchens

Indeed. 

Visually it is a very good representation of Mars Direct and the Reference Mission (based on Mars Semi-Direct).

Narration isn't very good, but the program is very tightly directed and stays on topic regarding making the first manned missions.

Kudos to mentioning Bush I's failed SEI and showing Bob Zubrin testifying before Congress.   Shows the political dimensions well.

I wish everyone would see it.

#14 2007-06-23 12:52:57

publiusr
Banned

It is a good program.

Board footer