New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-11-08 07:01:20

Palomar

Re: Guitars & Rockets: Similarities

Read me

*Might not come as a surprise to the brainiacs at New Mars.  I'm not all that familiar with musical instruments, so this was a surprising and enjoyable article.

I wonder what Robert Dyck might have to say about this...Robert, do you play any musical instruments/are musically inclined?  You are so vastly intelligent and a math whiz (understatement; a real Mr. Spock math whiz).  Just wondering.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-11-08 07:13:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

yup the resonant frequency of a compartment such as the cargo bay of the shuttle is significant for the protection of the ISS modules. We have also seen that large stars and black holes also sing a single note around a B flat as it were. Then not only do we have the base frequerncy to be concerned about for its ability to break things but then we have the first and second harmonics as well which can reinforce the base frequency making it even stronger.

#3 2007-08-30 14:45:59

marsguitars
Banned

What a great article! I've just registered and searched for 'guitars' (having read about "Mars Needs Guitars"), but didn't expect to find this! Both entertaining and informative - nice one.  smile

Mars and guitars - what a great combination wink

[url=http://www.marsguitars.co.uk]www.marsguitars.co.uk[/url]

#4 2007-08-31 07:28:27

Nik
Banned

I've been following Alan Bond's multi-cycle engines for a while so, when I read that they had tested Sabre's extraordinary heat-exchanger, I had a few questions...

Okay, for commercial reasons he could not give details but he *did* state that the heat-exchanger core 'sang' as an Aeolian Harp during spin-down...

I commented that this might provide some interesting diagnostics via fourier analysis etc as filaments heated, stretched, bowed etc etc. Naturally, he could not comment-- Beyond a Smiley.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/index.html

#5 2007-11-09 12:06:28

publiusr
Banned

Well, both have their frets...

Board footer